[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you start to learn to read another language without going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: mike-schank-american-movie.jpg (187KB, 939x939px) Image search: [Google]
mike-schank-american-movie.jpg
187KB, 939x939px
How do you start to learn to read another language without going to classes and whatnot?

Do you read a textbook.....or dive right in with a novel in a foreign language and a dictionary?
>>
>>8643734
Dawg I pick up one of 'em iphone apps for learning dem languages n scheisse.
>>
File: legion.png (12KB, 200x152px) Image search: [Google]
legion.png
12KB, 200x152px
the beatings continue until your french improves
>>
>>8643737
Are you sure that's a good idea?
>>
Learning in a class is harder than outside.
>>
>>8643734
idk. im currently taking russian and it would be hard as a mf to learn this language on your own. you could maybe do it alone and get to reading level, but never to a conversational level.

french or spanish or german seem like you could them on your own. read shit tons of textbook reviews and get the one right for you. then do duolingo as a supplement and takes steps to immerse yourself with media, be it videogames or tv shows.

and always practice. getting to be fluent in a language is a lot of work and you wont get there by slacking.
>>
>>8643734

Learn grammar and memorize words via a textbook for a few weeks, then dive in and read with a dictionary and commentary.
>>
>>8643734
That depends on your native and target language anon. I'm a Spanish speaker. I learned English without trying. Internet, videogames and a dictionary in front of my computer (this was before I had internet at home). Italian I just made sure I knew the basic grammatical rules and started to read and listen to music. Italian is really easy for a Spanish speaker. Now German, even though I know English (started reading and learning the basics I skipped before) I can't learn the same way. It's a difficult language and I have to pay more attention to textbooks.
If your target language uses a complete different alphabet or its roots are too different from the ones of the languages you know, you're going to work a little bit more.
All of this by yourself. No teacher required although if you're following a textbook and have many doubts you can contact a Italki teacher and get all your doubts out of the way.
Oh and by the way, never forget this is for reading. Writing and speaking will require a grammatical knowledge and plenty of practice if you want to talk.
If you need resources let me know.
>>
>>8643734
Both. I try to get as many books as possible, then search around on the internet for the more difficult parts of the grammar.

Youtube people speaking it, etc, etc.
>>
>>8643791
It's really not. Doing things that help you learn a language is the number one mistake all people make in trying to learn languages.
>>
>>8644112
If you read a dictionary you won't retain what you read. The intake will be far too fast. After you have the grammar down (and by that point you will know a couple of hundred words) learn the most common adjectives and verbs and start reading very simple things. You will have to learn a few nouns to read each one but the effort required will mean you actually learn a good number of words every time. Also you will be learning words that are actually useful. I mean it's cool to know the word aardvark but you could never learn it and be perfectly fluent in a language.
>>
File: books mexican literature.jpg (3MB, 1245x3673px) Image search: [Google]
books mexican literature.jpg
3MB, 1245x3673px
>>
I'm also trying to learn a language. I started to translate a french book from almost zero knowledge about the frenche language. Well it isn't that difficult for me, because I know also english, german, italian, latin and some greek. But anons, whats ur opinion about my learning technique?
>>
Learning a language requires TONS of vocabulary memorization. Get a flash card app. Also Duolingo. Once you're to the point where you know a chunk of the common words and basic grammar, you can then try reading.
>>
>>8643734
Finish a grammar textbook, then start reading easy stuff, like Anabasis for Greek, Gallic Wars for Latin
>>
>>8645192
http://www.language-learning-tips.com/17_Schliemanns_method.htm
>>
>>8644109
>idk
stopped reading there
>>
Im trying to learn french atm, anyone got any tips? Going to paris for 6 months soon
>>
>>8643734
Step one: watch some shit in your language of choice with English subtitles. Animu, films, interactive movies, games, tv series, youtubers, I don't care. Do it until you can hear, understand and repeat words like "cat", "I", "n-not there" (and preferably can comprehend the most basic grammar, like sentence structure (sov/svo etc); take notes if you need) . 10 to 15 words is more than enough.
Step two: Search for some textbooks. I don't know which one you need, It's up to you, just don't go buying tons of shit without looking. Audio would be nice.
Step three: Learn the real basics now, start constructing your own sentences, read some autismo-level stuff. At this point you should also consider at least trying to understand subtitles in original language. While also looking at English ones for confirmation.
Step four: Search for the official your_language exam. Does it exist? Good. Start learning things required for the lowest level.
Step five: Somewhere here (or even earlier) you should find native speakers who'll spend their time with you. Not necessarily in real life. Skype is enough.
Step six: Are you ready for the exam? Because you should be. Go register for it.
Step seven: Successfully pass the exam.
Step eight: Congratulations! You've done good. Now start getting ready for the next test! And the next! And also try reading everything you see.
>>
taking classes is for suckers.
just tudy basic grammar and foxus on building a descent vocabulary first, then just start reading and listening. language acquisition is a very natural process.
>>
>>8645625
duolingo at first
>>
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk
>>
>>8645625
read french comic books
>>
The important thing is to start with grammar. You won't learn a language without understanding its structure first, it's like trying to play a game without without half the rules. Since most languages outside english are agglutinative in nature, that usually means cramming all possible declined and conjugated forms by heart before moving on to actual words and sentences.
>>
File: tumblr_ls4xeqm4rc1qfajj2o1_500.jpg (77KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ls4xeqm4rc1qfajj2o1_500.jpg
77KB, 500x453px
What do people think of rossetta stone and pimsleur style courses (you can get them really on torrent without paying hundreds of dollars)?
>>
>>8645810
>rossetta stone
Good as an additional material.
>>
I just bought a couple of books in italian and now I am forcing my way through. I'm doing pretty well, but my first language is portuguese so I have an upper hand. I will pick up a textbook later.
>>
>>8645775
Which ones?
>>
>>8643734
"American Movie" is a fucking great film
>>
File: 4chan lit greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
4chan lit greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>
>>8643734
Get Pimsleur, it is super effective, and you could probably just pirate it from piratebay.

I learned German this way, and I feel pretty comfortable with it.
>>
>>8643786
Genuinely thinking about joining after this college course desu
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.