[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books about Celtic and Anglo-Saxon mythology,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1475557294347.jpg (279KB, 1500x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1475557294347.jpg
279KB, 1500x1013px
What are some good books about Celtic and Anglo-Saxon mythology, and maybe a bit on their history too? Nothing too academic, I'd prefer something that's rather easy and fun, while still being a good source of information.
>>
Why read about the mythology when you can just read the mythology? I read link related and while the names and what have you were slightly different to what I learned in school, it's pretty damn comprehensive.
>http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2907748-complete-irish-mythology

You'll have to look elsewhere for Anglo-Saxon stuff, I'm afraid.
>>
>>8643381
My diary desu
>>
The Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>8643424
Thanks, the book sounds really interesting, I'm going to look for it tomorrow.
>>
>>8643381
Anglo saxons are a germanic/german tribe read their myths, they are especially closely related to the inhabitans of Schleswig and Denmark, they have plenty of local myths.
>>
File: 1476464060520.jpg (3MB, 7157x4464px) Image search: [Google]
1476464060520.jpg
3MB, 7157x4464px
>>8643671
Thanks, any specific recommendation?
>>
>>8645078
beowulf :)
>>
>>8645082
Yeah, I'm probably going to start reading it today, because I need to have it read for my classes anyway. I was just, you know, asking for some other texts that would be fun and helpful.
>>
The White Goddess
>>
>>8643381
You could try The Penguin Book of Norse Myths. As far as I know Anglo-Saxon mythology comes from the same roots as the Norse myths but is mostly lost because Anglo-Saxon writing only really happened after the Christian conversion in the 7th century.

Because it's a decentralised 'religion' anyway there were always regional differences, hence we get Odin, Woden, Wotan, etc.

The Penguin book is a retelling written by a notable scholar so it's an enjoyable narrative read but a relatively accurate reconstruction from primary sources (Icelandic eddas, etc).
>>
>>8643381
We don't really know that much about Anglo-Saxon mythology in particular but the Anglo-Saxons were basically a combination between various Germanic tribes from northern Germany, Frisia, and Denmark so their beliefs were most likely very similar to the mythologies of that region, which we do know a good bit about.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.