[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever quit reading a book because to avoid knowing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1458278591106.jpg (14KB, 251x239px) Image search: [Google]
1458278591106.jpg
14KB, 251x239px
Anyone here ever quit reading a book because to avoid knowing about awful things happening to some of the characters?

e.g., I dropped Infinite Jest because I don't want to know how Hal becomes the damaged sperglord he was at the college interview (Year of Glad) after getting to know him during Y.D.A.U.
>>
>>8641249
>that much empathy
lel
>Anyone here ever quit reading a book because to avoid knowing about awful things happening to some of the characters?
no
>>
>>8641249
>I don't think I can finish Stoner after seeing the direction his relationship with Edith was going.
>I had a lot of trouble getting through Crime and Punishment because I was afraid his family and friend would find out about his crime and abandon him. I'm glad I got through it though.

Don't worry about Infinite Jest though, it's not worth it anyway.
>>
Sure that's why you stopped reading Infinite Jest.
>>
>>8641249

I would encourage you to go back to IJ at some point. Depending on how far you've read, you've already read about what happened to Hal.

My experience wasn't with a book but the video game Shadow of the Colossus. In the game you track down and slay several colossi in order to rescue a girl from some kind of enchantment. It's a bit like Don Quixote with killing. The colossi are generally peaceful. Your character even visibly loses something of his humanity over the course of the game. I got really uncomfortable with the whole thing and have never finished it.

Also, from what I understand about Dostoyevsky's plans for The Life of a Great Sinner (of which The Brothers Karamazov was to be the first part), I'm glad in a way it was left unfinished because I don't want to think about Alyosha going through all that
>>
File: 1474932686506.png (40KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1474932686506.png
40KB, 658x662px
Hey Hal?

I'm sorry if you're sad, Hal. You seem sad.
>>
>>8641249
lol faggot
>>
>>8642585
>The Life of a Great Sinner (of which The Brothers Karamazov was to be the first part)

I thought Life of a Great Sinner was a different novel, a non-starter he planned out but never wrote, and that, rather than Karamazov being the first part of it, he used ideas he had for the abandoned novel in Demons and Karamazov. But I'm not a Dostoevsky buff.
>>
>>8642596

That's very sweet, Otis let Mario borrow his propeller beanie.
>>
I was diagnosed with Asperger's. To feel empathy for a living person is hard enough.
>>
When I was in college one of my English professors told us a story about a kid he taught who had some disease where he couldn't distinguish fiction from non-fiction—he thought everything he read really happened—and The Scarlet Letter upset him greatly.
>>
>>8642687
(cont.) He didn't say what the disease was called, and I still don't know whether it's real; I just assume it is because the professor seemed like a genuine guy and not a liar.
>>
>>8642596
>>8642635
I have no idea how Mario is supposed to look like 2bh; he reads almost inhuman w/r/t his physical description. I blame Wallace for that.
>>
>>8642708
I always visualized Wallace's imagery worth a grotesque sort of 90s animation in mind. Reading Gately's description, then of the skullless wife, then of that scene with the wheelchair on the Hill scooping up that guy.. Those just fit the gritty aesthetic so well.
>>
>>8642549
I sorta agree with you, but your response is edgy/10 senpai
>>
>>8642708
He's basically the mutant version of Alyosha from TBK.
>>
>>8642708
>I blame Wallace for that
you make it sound like it's poor writing rather than something intentional
>>
>>8643330
It wasn't intentional, it's a byproduct of autism.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.