[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you know of any vampire stories that you would say have literary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_n3oixtcJnH1tuim0go2_1280.jpg (86KB, 700x989px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3oixtcJnH1tuim0go2_1280.jpg
86KB, 700x989px
Do you know of any vampire stories that you would say have literary merit? This film kind of re-framed vamps in a way that I thought was not campy goth horror or Anne Rice schlick material that I can't say I know any story like.
>>
>>8641042

Let the right one in.
A bit.
>>
>>8641047
Oh actually I would say that is in line with what I am looking for but they both seem pretty exceptional among the subject of vampires in my experience.
>>
>>8641042
I did enjoy Fevre Dream. It's a bit of an uncommon setting for a Vampire Story but it works pretty well.
Only lovers left alive and Let the right one in are pretty great. Liked them both.

If you have a computer that is less than 15 years old you can also play: "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" which is widely considered to be one of the very best PC games there are. It is set in the "World of Darkness" role playing universe which has a pretty interesting setup for all kinds of different vampire "clans" each with their own strengths and weaknesses. If you do end up picking up you need to download an unofficial fan patch, because back in the day activision rushed the studio to release the game in a buggy state and then closed them down due to poor sales performance before they could really fix it. The fan patch comes in two variants: pure bugfixing to make the shipped game run smootly and a second "plus" version where they tried to restore content that was in the files originally but hasn't been put into the game as it was unfished. Despite the game coming out in 2004 the fan patch still gets updated pretty regularly, with the newest update just coming out last month.
>>
>>8641696
Thank you for the suggestions, anon. I've enjoyed Bloodlines a lot in the past too. I wish/look forward to future WoD Masquerade games.
>>
>>8641700
>look forward to future WoD Masquerade games.
you poor thing.
>>
>>8641696
>recommending VtM: Bloodlines

Great taste, anon.
>>
>>8641710
Hey, better Masqerade than Requiem! They share much of the same terrible fanbase; at least the former has a ton of gonzo ideas and charm.
>>
>>8641710
I HOPE
>>
What have you read?
>>
>nine responses
>no Dracula
Dracula
>>
>>8641885
>>8641960
I don't think I have EVER read a vampire book. I guess I could go with the OG Dracula.
>>
Well there's always The Vampyre, which is the classic Vampire tale
>>
>>8642933
Yeah I liked that, the vampire was given some interesting characteristics that I hadn't seen before.

Also pic related seems intriguing. Insanely long and apparently very influential
>>
What does Adam mean when he refers to modern humans as zombies? Is he talking about a mix of resentment, egoism, materialism, etc...?
>>
>>8641042
pick up "What we do in the Shadows".
>>
File: olla.png (293KB, 716x386px) Image search: [Google]
olla.png
293KB, 716x386px
>>
>>8643912
Yeah, I think it's a general (and dangerously vague) umbrella critique about short-sighted humanity with maybe some extra spite over vanity and philistine behaviors.

It is sort of heavy handed I think and the film does it maybe a little too much for some.

>>8644012
Well I mean, if millenniums old and wise vampires love the book then what else is there to say?

>>8643958
This was just vampire-trope lampooning from what I saw. Probably funny in parts but I didn't watch the whole thing. Maybe too harsh on it.
>>
>>8641710
>Not playing Vampire: The Requiem
>>
>>8641696
i like bloodlines as much as any pc game dork but that's hardly a game about vampires. it's basically a conspiracy game about warring secret societies like deus ex, with vampirism as a fairly superficial feature.
>>
>>8644012
This movie was so shit mostly because it dropped little items of cultural capital everywhere the vampires, who are supposedly a tiny, secret elite, appear in order to make the viewer feel 'in the know' when the very fact that these masses of half-educated viewers recognize the references to IJ and Jack White proves that they don't have the obscurity necessary to form the image of vampires they are trying to convey. Also "look at these pickups, they are humbuckers"...
>>
>>8642923
Yea, go with Dracula but also don't expect a masterpiece. It's entertaining.

Carmilla is one of my personal fav vampire stories though.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.