[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I resent the five weeks of my life I gave over to it; I resent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Infinite_jest_cover.jpg (28KB, 300x464px) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_jest_cover.jpg
28KB, 300x464px
I resent the five weeks of my life I gave over to it; I resent every endlessly over-elaborated gag in the book, like the ten-page riff on why video telephones are unviable, or the dozen pages on the teenager who won all his tennis games by playing with a pistol held to his head, or the thousands and thousands and thousands of words devoted to pharmaceutical trivia on all sorts of mind-altering drugs; and I resent especially the 96 pages of tinily typed and deliberately pointless endnotes and ‘errata’, 388 in total, which make the novel a two-bookmark experience.
>>
You *knew* what you were in for. Above all you should resent yourself for not dropping it 1/4 way in if you weren't enjoying it.
>>
>>8640554
Pretty much. You either like Wallace or you don't. If you don't, don't commit yourself to a thousand pages of him.
>>
>the dozen pages on the teenager who won all his tennis games by playing with a pistol held to his head
That was the highlight of the book for me. What didn't you like about that?
>>
>>8640572
I thought it was an interesting thought experiment ethically
>>
>>8640547
>there are people on this board who don't recognize this
>>
>which make the novel a two-bookmark experience.

is it possible to read the kindle version of this comfortably? If I don't have a touch screen one
>>
>>8640660
aye
>>
>>8640547
I'm about 300 pages in, if I recall correctly, it's been resting for a few weeks now, and I feel the resentment too, it just feels particularly a pointless book to read.
It's as if I can imagine him sitting and writing it, taking delight in describing things, that shines through at times, and other times it just feels like OCD writing, just writing for the sake of it, with complete disregard to any pleasure of a reader.
>>
File: 324728849.png (1MB, 1087x695px) Image search: [Google]
324728849.png
1MB, 1087x695px
>>8640572
I've not read IJ, but if this is the highlight for some people, I'll steer well clear of this book.
>>
>>8640923
*tips fedora*
>>
>>8640960
Nice fedora lmao
>>
It managed to make me more aware of my substance problems and how they have hindered, or at least altered, my development as a person. I'm still working to get them under control but reading this made me feel less alone in that struggle
>>
>>8640986
I found that as a responsible, functioning adult with a good career, work life balance etc the seemed like it would only appeal to unwell people. I could also hear Nabokov's criticism of Dostoevsky in everything I read.
>>
Finished it last night. Loved every minute of it. It ended pretty abruptly and I admit I had to spend about 9 minutes reading up on the real conclusion of the story.

>Favorite part
Either the Eschaton scene or when Hal went to that men's therapy group with the teddy bears.
>>
>>8640623
It says Infinite Jest right on the cover. . .
>>
File: 1476544458334.jpg (32KB, 564x407px) Image search: [Google]
1476544458334.jpg
32KB, 564x407px
>>8641514
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.