[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are some good Latin American writers, other than the obvious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: petrolstationpic.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
petrolstationpic.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Who are some good Latin American writers, other than the obvious ones?

I like Boom and Post-Boom authors, but I've read a lot of books by the "main" ones. I'll list some people I want you to avoid, but I'd like some recommendations. Don't recommend books by LLosa, Bolano, Allende, Marquez and Borges.

Who are the second and third-tier writers? The kind of people that Roberto Bolano name drops?
>>
Anyone? I really want to read more Latin American Boom and Post-Boom writers, but don't know who to read. I would've thought there are lots of good and okay Latin American writers out there, possibly household names in some countries.
>>
Check out The Art of Flight by Sergio Pitol and Between Parentheses by Bolano. These two books will have you swimming in great authors
>>
Terra Nostra by Carlos Fuentes, The Obscene Bird of Night by Jose Donoso, Fado Alexandrino by Antonio Lobo Antunes, Kiss of the Spider Woman by Manuel Puig, The Passion According to GH by Clarice Lispector
>>
Jaime Bayly
Alejandro Jodorowski
Guadalupe Nettel

:^)
>>
>>8638962

This guy has some books (all short novellas) translated into English, and had decent odds in betting sites during the last literature nobel prize, he was a serious condidate.

What Bolaño said

“I am told that César Aira writes two books a year, at least, some of which are published by a little Argentinean company named Beatriz Viterbo, after the character in Borges's story "The Aleph." The books of his that I have been able to find were published by Mondadori and and Tusquets Argentina. It's frustrating, because once you've started reading Aira, you don't want to stop. His novels seem to put the theories of Gombrowicz into practice, except, and the difference is fundamental, that Gombrowicz was the abbot of a luxurious imaginary monastery, while Aira is a nun or novice among the Discalced Carmelites of the Word. Sometimes he is reminiscent of Roussel (Roussel on his knees in a bath red with blood), but the only living writer to whom he can be compared is Barcelona's Enrique Vila-Matas.

Aira is an eccentric, but he is also one of the three or four best writers working in Spanish today.”

It seems like he has a gimmick of writing without planing the plot.
http://idiommag.com/2012/04/flying-forward-with-cesar-aira/
>>
>>8639229
Donoso and Puig definitely. Bioy Casares if you want a dryer Borges.
Juan Carlos Onetti is one of my favourite authors. He wrote some very beautiful pessimistic novels, A Brief Life being his best, and a lot of good short stories which remind me of Faulkner and O'Connor.
Felisberto Hernandez is another favourite, he's a lot more playful and enigmatic, like a weird amalgamation of Robert Walser and Proust (the latter only because his narratives are often concerned with how our memories intrude upon and influence our present actions or thoughts).
Alejo Carpentier is like an explosion of colour and sound, a maximalist in scope and variety. His descriptions can sometimes go on for pages and one becomes almost delirious with the amount of detail he produces. His novels are in the same order as GGM in that they are mostly concerned with the inevitable mixture of the sensual with the political, social and cultural. A good place to start with him is his short story "Road to Santiago" or his short novel The Kingdom of this World.
Another good one is Ernesto Sábato, but I think right now he's like a semi-meme. Also Álvaro Mutis' Maqroll novels are very good.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.