[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any books similar to The Alchemist which tell a story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 7597._UY200_.jpg (13KB, 133x200px) Image search: [Google]
7597._UY200_.jpg
13KB, 133x200px
Are there any books similar to The Alchemist which tell a story but also have some sort of philosophical message in them? Also, is pic related a good book
>>
>>8638131
That's a great book. Absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>8638131
>the alchemist
either this is bait, or you are extremely new here
>>
>>8638131
>Are there any books similar to The Alchemist which tell a story but also have some sort of philosophical message in them?
Way too many. And a good chunk of them do a better job than Coelho and his bland, uninspired writing. What type of philosophy are you looking for, though? Because The Alchemist and its "philosophy" are mainly inspired by Eastern philosophy.

If you want that, just read Meditations.
>Also, is pic related a good book
It really is.
>>
>>8638131
Brilliant book
>>
>>8638131
how is being in the spectrum
>>
>>8638131
>>>8638131
>That's a great book. Absolutely fantastic.
>>8638137

Still can't tell if sarcasm or it's actually a good book. I'm planning on reading The Brothers Karamazov next, heard that was great

Also, I actually am quite new here. I have no idea where to start, I've just begun my reading journey and I want to know what is considered the standard for a "Good book". I really can't find any suggestions on "Good Books", so if you have any then please tell me because I'm clueless right now and I want to start somewhere
>>
File: ngExKHr.jpg (1MB, 1820x4348px) Image search: [Google]
ngExKHr.jpg
1MB, 1820x4348px
>>8638478
It isn't. One Hundred Years of Solitude is pretty good.
>I have no idea where to start
Well, for starters, I recommend reading White Nights, Notes from the Undergroung, and Crime & Punishment before The Brothers Karamazov. The three I mentioned were also written by Dosty, and are a better and lighter introduction to his work.

You can also use pic related as a guide, although the list is somewhat outdated. The hottest author right now is Joyce (and unlike DFW, /lit/ will always respect him), so if you want to discuss whatever you read, you can start by reading Dubliners.
>>
>>8638478
>>8638490
It wasn't sarcasm, 100 Years is a quality book. I second short stories before Brothers K. A lot of people try the longer books out of a sense of vanity but end up not enjoying them.

I would also recommend reading Dubliners before Dostoevsky, it's very short and sweet and Joyce is an excellent writer. Just wait to read Ulysses because it's the kind of book that is made to be menacing towards students while Joyce's other books are much more readable, that isn't a dig at the quality of Ulysses though.

Also I frequently recommend the books required in high school or on optional HS reading lists. They're made to be accessible without being totally devoid of sustenance.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.