[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend thinks that artists can only create good art if they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

My friend thinks that artists can only create good art if they have had a life of pain and suffering, and that happy people cannot craft powerful art. He also says that comedy is a lesser form of art then drama (saying that Shakespeare is remembered for his dramas not his comedies (even though comedy had a different meaning back then)).

Do you agree? Personally, I disagree completely, but what do you think /lit/
>>
>>8635102
your friend is wrong. happy people can have good art, sheltered people can't. people who suffered often make one sided, bitter art that is shocking and revolutionary to sheltered people
>>
your friend is an idiot
>>
>>8635111
Nigaa stfu youre sheltered yourself
>>
>>8635102
>when you have such a shite personality that even when online, you have to gossip about your friend to strangers for validation

You disgust me.
>>
Obviously your friend is full of shit. People with strong Feelings are drawn to artistic careers thus the chances of great art being produced by a person with Feelings are greater.

As for comedy being a lesser form of art, try telling that to someone with depression.
>>
>>8635137
Shut the fuck up, this logic is stupid. I don't agree with OP's friend but you are a moron. The curative effects of comedy for sad people isn't what makes it a good art.
>>
>>8635102
>Shakespeare is remembered for his dramas not his comedies
That's true though
>>
What a fucking retard lol. The notion of the "tortured artist" is a cancerous myth that pseudo-intellectual autists use to justify their own misery.
>>
Shakespeare himself is a counterargument to the "tortured artist" myth. There are probably a million other great writers who didn't suffer much as well, but I don't know their biographies so I won't list any.

>Shakespeare is remembered for his dramas not his comedies
Are you trying to say that he's remembered for his tragedies? Because it's nonsensical to say that he's remembered for his dramas.
>>
>>8635102
your friend is probably depressed as shit. i mean i thought that too when i was like 15 but then i grew up.
your friend is right in the sense that only someone who has experienced pain can create art that wants to transcend/document that pain, because they're familiar with that feeling.

on the other hand, that in itself doesn't mean shit when it comes to creating art of actual quality. that's where intellect, creativity and hard work comes into play.

so your friend is wrong and will probably suck at whatever he does like everyone else i've met that is really secretly boasting about how their mental illness is really their genius in disguise.
>>
>>8635102
Your friend's opinion is a meme, Sadness can inspire people but if you use it as a crutch you just end up writing 3edgy5me shit.

The Divine Comedy BTFO the idea that tragedy>Comedy
>>
>>8635102
I believe there is some truth in it.

I used to write poetry back when I was less happy. I wasn't depressed but I wanted to change my situation.

It took time and effort. But now that my situation changed positively, I am more happy and I never write anymore.

But that's just my case. Can't apply to all.
>>
>>8635137
>"Hi depressed Uncle Jim, did you know that comedy is a lesser form of art than drama?"
>"..."
>"Anything to say on the matter?"
>James stares blankly at a stain on the carpet, wondering why he just doesn't seem to enjoy any previous pleasures in life. And why this little faggot won't piss off already. Later he'll go back down to traintracks and test his courage. But fail again.
>>
>>8635102.

The joke settles one in expectation by using a lower form of man. A joke is always dependent on a fool, whether that fool is a true man or an idea of man he exists on a lower level as a part of our own natures. The punch-line liberates the fool and releases him from his binds and thus the laughter ejects and stress is freed and clarity felt if for just a moment.
>>
>>8635128
you don't know me, you don't know my life
>>
>>8635129
When people say "my friend" they just telling you about themselves in a 3rd person to avoid criticism
>>
>>8635102
>My friend thinks that artists can only create good art if they have had a life of pain and suffering, and that happy people cannot craft powerful art.
That's stupid. The only criteria for creating art is to experience life so that you can convey that experience through a media and message. Experiencing pain and suffering makes you experience acutely life, but it may not actually make you experience good art.

>Shakespeare is remembered for his dramas not his comedies (even though comedy had a different meaning back then)).
Bullshit. His comedies are hilarious.

>>8635111
>sheltered people can't.
This. If you live your life in a box, how can you tell people about existence through your art when you have nothing to say?
>>
>>8635102
No one has ever written, painted, sculpted, modeled, built or invented except to literally escape hell- Antonin Artaud.

Everyone lives a life of pain and suffering, artists are people who see the world clearly enough to acknowledge that fact. If you read Zapffe, most people distract themselves from the torment of consciousness, artists sublimate that torment into works of art.

As far as comedies go, they don'tseem to be as good a form of art because they are usually dependent on recent events so they don't survive as well. Also when old comedies are performed they are performed outside their original context altering the intention of the work (Aristophanes performed in front of a serious audience looking for a greek play rather than a funny comedy). Furthermore a lot of people usually avoid making comedies, so comedies that do come out are either for money or pretentious fag plays.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.