[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I remember last year when all the talk about a new meme trilogy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: the rec.jpg (225KB, 800x1238px) Image search: [Google]
the rec.jpg
225KB, 800x1238px
I remember last year when all the talk about a new meme trilogy was going on an image was floating around with The Recognitions, The Corrections, and another book with a similar title. Does anyone remember the third book? Also I just started reading the Recognitions and am really enjoying it, so I guess Gaddis General
>>
>>8634453

>so I guess Gaddis General

Don't try to make a joint Gaddis General/"meme trilogy" thread. You are literally the type of person he is lampooning in that work. Leave the meme charts alone now and move on.
>>
>>8634585
I don't care about the meme charts I'm just trying to remember the title of that book because it seemed interesting. I added Gaddis General because that question is not substantial enough for a thread on its own. You've read the book and yet you contribute nothing, please do so.
>>
>>8634623

>You've read the book and yet you contribute nothing

Yep.

>please do so.

Nope.
>>
The corrections was never fucking mentioned. Maybe you meant the tunnel or 2666. Kill yourself btw.
>>
>>8634653
I remember that one but there was another one. It was never taken seriously and died pretty immediately.
>>
>>8634658
Idk cunt, the lime twig, milk bottle H, melancholy of resistance, Polish war and peace.
>>
>>8634453
Gassposter posted a "the" trilogy that had The Recognitions, The Lime Twig, and The Tunnel.
>>
>>8634670
No you didn't read my original post, it had a similar title, which was why they were lumped together. The ____________ (3 or 4 syllable word). It made the rounds at the same time as Milk Bottle H, it was not a book I had ever heard of before or since.
>>
>>8634681
I remember that one but no, is Gassposter still here? I haven't been on in a while.
>>
>>8634684

The Savage Detectives?
>>
>>8634782
No, thank you though
>>
>>8634453
The "new" meme trilogy was a forced meme that died out as it should.

Anyway, it was
The Recognitions by William Gaddis
The Tunnel by William Gass
2666 by Roberto Bolano
Women and Men by Joseph McElroy
>>
>>8634801
Yes I remember that one, I am talking about another much more ephemeral meme trilogy. I am pretty sure it was only promoted by a single poster.
>>
The Recognitions, Against the Day and Women and Men.
>>
>>8634822
I don't remember this ever being one.
>>
>>8634801
Wasn't it agreed that the fourth book of the second trilogy would be IQ84 since W&M is out of print?
>>
>>8634821

You're probably thinking of 'The Instructions' by Adam Levin.

Please delete this thread now. It's so bad.
>>
>>8634863
No, that was the point.
It being an obscure, out of print work of difficult fiction no one has ever read.
>>
it was The Lime Twig
>>
>>8634863
what the fuck kill that. women and men is infinitely better
>>
>>8634946
I made the pic, the "Tions" trilogy, this anon has it right, it was The Instructions.

Can't post it, don't have it anymore, can't find it in archive.
>>
It was just an image I made, had nothing to do with the Meme Trilogy 2, which was all about W&M, Europe Central, 2666, Recognitions, Tunnel, etc. Nobody could agree on what the MT2 was. Like another anon said, it was forced and obviously it didn't stick.
>>
>>8634453
>I remember last year when all the talk about a new meme trilogy was going on an image was floating around with The Recognitions, The Corrections, and another book with a similar title
that's not how it works you fucking cunt. get out.
>>
File: gass16.jpg (684KB, 1182x1548px) Image search: [Google]
gass16.jpg
684KB, 1182x1548px
>>8634863
Nice try, Murakami.

Organically, a new meme trilogy was recognised pased on the prevailing currents of the board:
>Gaddis - Recognitions
>Gass - The Tunnel
>McElroy - Women and Men

Over time a well-paid shill managed to get Bolano appended to that list.
>Bolano - 2666
>>
File: gass5.jpg (261KB, 950x758px) Image search: [Google]
gass5.jpg
261KB, 950x758px
>>8635587
The new meme trilogy lost traction when a wave of Redditors came to the board, eps. in the days following a "/lit/ top 100 books" chart getting upboated to the front page of Reddit.
>>
As long as we're on the topic, if there are any /lit/ historians reading, they may be interested to know that concurrent with talk about a second Meme Trilogy was talk about a Classic Meme Trilogy that went something like Don Quixote, Moby-Dick, War and Peace.
>>
>>8635599
The real classic meme trilogy is
Iliad
Odyssey
Aeniad
>>
>>8635587
proper meme trilogy should be
>Ulysses
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Recognitions
>>
>>8635739
Out of publication order?? Barbaric
>>
>Submission
>He's Back

Third book in the trilogy has to be from Spain, has Spain produced anything in the style of those two novels?
>>
>>8635756
The Spanish literary tradition moved from Spain to Latin America at some point. Spain produces fuck all now, while places like Mexico, Argentina, and Chile produce gold.
El Dorado was not a gift of gold, it was a literary curse upon the spaniards.
>>
So it was
The Corrections
The Recognitions
The Instructions
?
>>
>>8635934
yes, but the order was rec/corr/inst - published order
>>
>>8635566
>>8634946
>>8635934
>>8635946

This was the answer I was looking for, thank you all
>>
The Recognitions is phenomanal, the tone and quality of writing shifts after the first 100 pages and becomes more like the rest I've seen of Gaddis, but that first 100 pages is just a firework show of prose. His murky sense of identity and dialogue that's introduced later is one of my favorite things about his writing, though.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.