[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anyone here that reads both the Western Canon and other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: bookman-arcimoldo.gif (89KB, 285x397px) Image search: [Google]
bookman-arcimoldo.gif
89KB, 285x397px
Is there anyone here that reads both the Western Canon and other important or philosophical fiction, yet still sometimes reads genre-fiction and can differentiate and appreciate the merits between both worlds of literature?

A lot of you guys seem to be "Either this or that" kind of person. What's wrong with letting your mind loose and not caring about what other people think once in a while?
>>
>>8633918
Because once you get to the point where you can actually enjoy literary fiction, genre fiction pales in comparison. I've gone back and tried to read fantasy and failed. Name of the Wind doesn't measure up to, say, 2666.

We don't not read fantasy because we don't want to look pleb, we don't read it because we can see, by comparison, how crap it is and can't enjoy it for that reason.
>>
no it's only you you're so fucking cool dude
>>
Basically, what >>8634503 said.
I'd rather watch a good action movie if I wanted entertainment.
>>
>>8633918
because literary fiction panders to the adult side of us and genre fiction panders to the child inside of us and some people can't handle that.
>>
>>8633918
since about 1900 the two types have different aims but Genre fiction is just pre-modern literature (Anead, Don Quixote etc) made 'easy'. Why would an experienced reader find it interesting?
>>
>>8635419
To rephrase
Modern Lit may leave some areas of reading experience unfilled but these gaps are filled better by older works than by genre crap.
>>
>>8634503
>Because once you get to the point where you can actually enjoy literary fiction, genre fiction pales in comparison.
yeah but

>I've gone back and tried to read fantasy and failed. Name of the Wind doesn't measure up to, say, 2666.
name of the wind is particularly atrocious. I can read asoiaf, dune, malazan or ender's game just fine, and enjoy them too.

The main draw of genre fic as entertainment is I can listen to music and read at the same time. I can only listen to very undemanding music at best if I'm reading literary fiction.

Plus, imagining other worlds is just fun.
>>
>>8635284
>I'd rather watch a good action movie if I wanted entertainment.
This I don't understand. Film and TV is just impossible for me to watch. It's all just so shit. I can literally only watch cartoons without getting pissed off at how stupid everything is.

If I want entertainment a good genre fic book, a good album, some beer and a nice dinner is perfect.
>>
>>8635437
I didn't ever like Song of Ice and Fire. Dune was alright but not particularly exciting. I liked malazan when I read it years ago, but looking back at it I don't like it that much anymore. Imagining other worlds is fun but I'd rather do it with Borges than, say, Lynch.

>>8635443
How you feel about film and TV is how I feel about genrefic -- it's so shit and I get pissed at how shit it is.
>>
>>8635443
Try watching truly good movies.

Check out some of these director's work:
Bergman, Tarkovsky, Haneke, Kubrick, Dardenne, Bresson, Ozu, Malick, Trier, Godard, and many more. Start from there. It's lit tier.
>>
>>8635914
>muh bergman
>muh stylized dramaten acting even though it's film
>muh foreigners don't care because it's basically a silent film for them
Why isn't >reading translations a meme with film? It applies much more there.
>>
>>8633918
Yes, I do. I teach several genre fiction classes (Horror, Fantasy, Mystery, SF, Children's lit) so it's part of my job, but I didn't forget how to enjoy other kinds of books just because I studied the canon. I'm less inclined to read tons of forgettable crap now than in my teens, but there are still always novels to enjoy in any genre.
>>
I watch anime, I do not waste my time on genre fiction because a genre medium lends better to a visual medium, and I am a slow reader.

I am currently rewatching Haibane Renmei for the 4th time or so. My only criticism would be some parts feeling rushed, some heavy-handedness, and a strange tonal shift at about episode 6 and episode 9. Then again, it would just be a SoL in purgatory if it weren't for those shifts.
>>
I don't find any pleasure it cheap airport fiction anymore. I do enjoy watching crappy or at least low-brow movies if I am with loud company but I can't do it alone. They just bore me now.

>>8635938
>muh stylized dramaten acting even though it's film
And stylised acting is bad because?

>It applies much more there.
No it doesn't. With literature words are everything. Words are far less important to a movie.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.