[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I was talking with my psychologist about memes and 4chan and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

File: 1474547474919.jpg (161KB, 484x657px) Image search: [Google]
1474547474919.jpg
161KB, 484x657px
So I was talking with my psychologist about memes and 4chan and irony and my agreement with scholars such as harold bloom that you should waste time on books that aren't the best, and I eventually raised the question asking, has culture become dumbed down? I pointed out the rise of interest in young adult literature, and the rise of donald trump, and the fact that there doesn't seem to be notable writers now a days. People just don't seem that interested in reading classics like Moby Dick. Your thoughts?
>>
>>8632871
>talking about memes and 4chan in real life

Kill yourself
>>
I can't imagine trying to explain 4chan or internet culture to somebody who uses it to read wikipedia and chat on facebook.
>>
>>8632897
My psychologist has never even used facebook, let alone comprehend what 4chan is. Trying to explain it to her is very challenging.
>>
>>8632888
>what you spend most of your time doing, i.e., memeing on the web, is not real life
>going to work, maintaining superficial relationships, driving, grocery shopping &c. influences your cast of mind more than the Internet
The sooner you acknowledge just how much 4chan culture has informed how you see the world, the sooner you can start to fix yourself
>>
>>8632871
Are you finnish? I met this finn once who was super autistic and would talk about internet stuff with his therapist.

That you?
>>
>>8632888
What a strange statement. I think social media is just as interesting as any topic to discuss. I actually feel that studying social media in college would be rather interesting, because I'm already so interested in it.
>>
>>8632906
I am american my good boy.
>>
>>8632904
>implying I've been affected by 4chan culture

Nice 'meme'
>>
>>8632913
Not the person you replied to, but I feel that I've been deeply affected by 4chan culture. I believe it's become ingrained in my personality.
>>
>>8632913
>implying you haven't
Look, what you expose yourself to, even if you find it repulsive and stupid and intellectually barren, has a palpable and lasting effect.
>>
>>8632871
>has culture become dumbed down?

No, it's just become too fractured.

The only reason people were "cultured" was because there was so little available to do and consume. Like, what else were you going to do if not read books once in a while?

There's a shitton of "distractions" -- or, rather, a shitton of ways to participate in the ongoing culture.

Hell, it's not even limited to literature. Something like Seinfeld pretty much relied on there not being much else on in order to become popular. If it aired anew and there were more stuff available -- more TV shows, more video games, more internet streaming services, etc. -- then I guarantee it wouldn't have lived past Season 2.
>>
>>8632897
you literally have to pay them to listen to you, see op's case
>>
>>8632913
you post like someone who's been exposed to nothing but 4chan culture though, weird.
>>
4chan made me a reclusive, socially anxious racist, woman-hating, anti-Semitic white supremacist white nationalist.

Am I lost, or have I become enlightened?
>>
>>8632938
>4chan made me a reclusive, socially anxious racist, woman-hating, anti-Semitic white supremacist white nationalist.
I'm extremely left wing and feminist, anti racist, anti anti semetic, and I support black lives matter and feminine penis. I think it's just you buddy. I noticed that some people are just more predisposed to think the ignorant prejudice way.
>>
>>8632938
mission failed boss
>>
>>8632945
Congrats you've been brainwashed
>>
>>8632945
>peer pressure based opinions are good
I sure envy your superior intellect
>>
>>8632950
Oh contraire my friend.
>>
>>8632960
My racial hatred and anti-woman "prejudices" are based in science, fact, and logic while yours are based in feels
>>
>>8632966
lol
>>
>>8632911
>>8632960
>I am american
>*Oh* contraire

we can tell, amerifat.
>>
>>8632966
you just keep telling yourself that. I'd probably think that too if I only consumed bullshit right wing conspiracy crap. My advice is to expose yourself to conflicting points of view to your own, and drop a point of view or severely scrutinize it when it falls under question instead of digging in further by looking for points of view that immediately back up what you think.
>>
>>8632969
I actually take pretty good care of myself, I pay very close attention to what I eat, I only eat for nutrition. Maybe every several months if I go to a family gathering and they have something like pizza I'll have a slice or something, or hot dog at the once a year block party, but I take really good care not to eat any crap, and I think it shows in my body. Even my own parents say that I'm one of the healthiest people that they know. Now, I'm sure that when it comes to my reclusiveness, that's probably not very healthy, but I'm not really sure how to fix that.
>>
>>8632967
>>8632971
You need the redpill more than ever, retarded numale cucks
>>
>>8632979
im a blue[illed beta cuck
>>
>>8632979
If you need to use words like retard to get your point across then that really doesn't make you sound like your point of view is worth defending in the first place. Just throwing that out there.
>>
>>8632978
How come you need to do that? I can eat pretty much what I want and I don't get fat. Is it just le corn syrup?
>>
>>8632986
Hmmmm there's this thing called being different, maybe you should look it up.
>>
>>8632978
You know OP, one of the classic signs on being on the autism spectrum is the inability to grasp humor, sarcasm and nuance... really makes you think
>>
>>8632908

I'm in uni and have a class on digital cultures right now and I find it terribly uninteresting. The whole class seems to enjoy it and are saying that it's finally lectures that pertain to their life. So what do I know? To me it all seems terribly obvious without much depth. The professor wrote a thesis on World of Warcraft and her slides includes "le epic memes" everywhere.
>>
>>8632992
Well you know, I have a sense of humor which from a young age people have told me is very sophisticated. So you know that doesn't apply to everyone.
>>
>>8632997
Good shy my good man, good show.
>>
>>8633006
>Good shy
good show*
>>
>>8632978
How can you not enjoy food? Eating for nutrition seems like something a sick person should do, not someone who is healthy. You don't need to eat fatty or salty foods either, there are plenty of recipes for tasty food that won't kill you if eaten every day. You should take some pride in what you eat and cook.
>>
>thinks there are no notable writers nowadays
>thinks trump means something in the greater schemes of the cultural zeitgeist of the west
>thinks rise in YA lit means the decline of artistic lit rather than the modernization of pulp lit
>is proud to be a caricature of the american burgeouis left

I think the problem is with you, not society, OP.
>>
>>8633019
I eat so much fat in my diet. Avocados and nut butter are big staples of my every day routine, as well as wild alaskan sockeye salmon.
>>
>>8633037
I'm skeptical of this claim.
>>
>>8633038
I meant fatty like oily fried food. I should have been more clear.
>>
>>8633040
Yet you present no counterarguments as to it. Unfounded skepticism is as worthless as blind belief.
>>
>>8633006

Not sure what you're implying, but I was being serious.
>>
>>8633045
I think it's fair to say I don't know instead of drawing crack pot conclusions to everything like a lot of conspiracy nuts such as yourself do.
>>
>>8633051
>make claim
>" I don't think claim is true."
>point out you didn't give a reason why you don't think it's true
>WOW CHECK OUT THIS CONSPIRATARD JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS L O L

what the hell is your problem man.
>>
>>8633060
Oh, should I have just said you're right and believed what you said? Hmmm really makes you think.
>>
>>8633071
No. Are you even alphabetized, son?

>point out you didn't give a reason why you don't think it's true

Usually when you want to disprove a claim you do so by providing arguments, not just stating how you're "skeptical" of it. Your skepticism doesn't prove shit by itself.
>>
so tell

what was the point of this thread? Just trying to get everyone to rub your ego dick out over how much smarter and healthier than everyone you are? Just a good ole narcissism circlejerk to get the self esteem engine going?

You ask for people's thoughts on your retarded, reeking-of-teenage-angst opinions and get mad when they actually give you those thoughts. What's your end game OP?
>>
>>8632913
You're here of your own volition. You didn't make that choice for no reason.

If you think you're "above" or even "outside" of 4chan, you are lying to yourself.
>>
>>8633129
Chill
>>
>>8632871
If you bothered to look into it, you'd see that crap fiction existed a century ago and more, in massive amounts, and has always greatly outnumbered great works. When you look backwards you are only aware of the few dozen great works that have stood the test of time and entered the canon. Your ignorance about print history is sad.
>>
>>8633580
Yeah but if we have years and years of great literature to look back on I don't know why people don't pay attention to that instead of looking at these crappy works of fiction you see discussed by your average reader. I guess it's always been that way though, I guess you're right.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.