[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any argument for ethics and morality? I completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: nice.png (1MB, 5000x4859px) Image search: [Google]
nice.png
1MB, 5000x4859px
Is there any argument for ethics and morality?

I completely despise nihilists who don't follow any ethics and believe in nothing. But I don't see any reason to do good to others, besides doing it for your own happiness. For example, I treat my friends well, so they will continue to be my friends, therefore making me enjoy our conversations for longer. But if I realize that doing good to someone won't make me happier, than I won't do it.
>>
>>8630483
Social contract theory

Or the whole God thing

Pick your poison
>>
Pic reminds me of this japanese-enthusiast girl I see on the bus sometimes. I think she was smiling at me, sometimes looking at me briefly, but I didn't make a point of showing she'd caught my attention. Should I talk to her next time, "out of nowhere", or is that morally inadequate?
>>
>>8630489
>Social contract theory
Literally what I said, do good to others if it does good to you. Do not do bad things or you go to jail.

>Religion
Interesting, but doesn't count
>>
>>8630505
>what's 2+2
>4
>Interesting, but doesn't count
>>
>>8630509
I believe in God and that's why I have ethics, but using it as an argument is like saying that all countries should have open borders because everyone is human, and we should live in a communist world because it is unfair that there are people with more money than others.
>>
>>8630483
>Is there any argument for ethics and morality?
Yes, there's a number of major schools, aristotelian-thomists, Burke style classical conservative liberals, lockean liberals, kantians, utilitarians, consequentialists, stoics, platonists etc.
>I completely despise nihilists...to be my friends, therefore making me enjoy our conversations for longer. But if I realize that doing good to someone won't make me happier, than I won't do it.
Good is not a concept everyone defines in the same way. Good, justice, rationality, happiness only exist as parts of traditions which define them.
These traditions are essentially a priori positions through which we define ourselves and our meaning within a certain society.
>>
>>8630515
I understand that when you're a bit slow, saying that the sky is definitely blue is a bit like saying that the Spanish Inquisition wasn't such a bad thing after all, or that slight variations in the climate are a bit like the cigarette ashes in your clothes, but sometimes you have to see that you're hallucinating a bit. Which is hard, because you have to see it with the same gear that makes you hallucinate in the first place. Now, is God a Marxist?
>>
>>8630515
You alt right shitters are so predictable
>>
>>8630498
If you are uggo, she don't rike.
If not, go ahead.
>>
>>8630483
> I don't see any reason to do good to others, besides doing it for your own happiness.
Who cares if altruism is selfish? It's still altruism. You're still doing something good. Sounds like a win-win to me.
>>
>>8631713
>Who cares if altruism is selfish? It's still altruism. You're still doing something good. Sounds like a win-win to me.
This desu. No one is ever going to call you a monster for getting a warm feeling from helping others. I get that you could never really justify it, but if you feel great helping others and others get helped, just do it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.