[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't want to read the bible because I find it boring.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 147629534615.jpg (12KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
147629534615.jpg
12KB, 216x233px
I don't want to read the bible because I find it boring.

what books are the ones that hold literary merit?
>>
Try lattimore's new testament
>>
>>8628149
Proverbs is really good tbqh.
>>
Genesis
Exodus
Psalms (just read this in any order if you want)
Job
Ecclesiastes
Gospel of Matthew
Gospel of John
Revelation
>>
ecclesiastes is my favorite for its philosophical merit.
>>
>>8628174
>no Gospel of Luke

you do know that the message is part of literary merit, don't you?
>>
>>8628207
just trying to give OP a few starting points
>>
Song of Solomon
Lamentations

Both very short books that have had some literary impact.
>>
The book of Cuck
thats your diary desu
>>
What if i can only bear the new testament, how pleb is reading only that?
>>
>>8628449

Definitely missing out, since 1) the OT has so much of literary merit and 2) it provides a great amount of background for the NT
>>
read the Torah and Job and Ecclesiastes desu
>>
>>8628149

my advice for a beginner

Read Luke, and acts of the apostles, they were written by the same person, and acts is what happens right after the gospel of luke, it is really the same book divided in 2.

also, acts reads like an adventure book about a cult with superpowers, it is fun.

literary merit

genesis
exodus
(with these two books you have every about adam eve noah abraham isaac jacob moses)

judges
samuel 1 and 2
with these you have the stories of samsom, david and salomon

JOB
Psalms
Ecclesiastes

the new testament is a short book, read it all.
luke, acts, the Gospel of John, the epistles of Paul, especially romans, thesalonians, corinthians, galatians.

Paul is the most improtant person in the history of christianity.

"There is wide consensus in modern New Testament scholarship on a core group of authentic Pauline epistles whose authorship is rarely contested: Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians, and Philemon. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorship_of_the_Pauline_epistles

I would also read Hebrews, even if we dont know who wrote it, and the epistles of john, written probably by the same people or person who wrote the gospel.

the most basic new testament read would be
matthew, luke + acts or, gospel of john, epistles of paul and john, apocalypsis.
>>
>>8628521

"The gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are referred to as the Synoptic Gospels because they include many of the same stories, often in a similar sequence and in similar wording. They stand in contrast to John, whose content is comparatively distinct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synoptic_Gospels
>>
>also, acts reads like an adventure book about a cult with superpowers, it is fun.

good post, but try to be a little less reddit in the future
>>
>>8628204
This.
>>
>>8628536

I have never been to reddit and I think my post was accurate.
the adventures with superpowers aspect of Acts of Apostles is the reason for the American sects than handle snakes in church or have members who fall to the floor "speaking in voices".
many sects have tried to recapture those gifts/signs first generation christians had.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.