[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you have actually read this? You'd get laughed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

File: why-study-the-bible.jpg (102KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
why-study-the-bible.jpg
102KB, 849x565px
How many of you have actually read this?

You'd get laughed at if you said you never read Homer around these parts but it seems like the Bible gets ignored.
>>
File: 1476201740536.jpg (83KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1476201740536.jpg
83KB, 600x600px
>>8628000
I wonder why that might be...
But what are you talking about? The Bible is pushed here more than Shakespeare, more than anything else than Homer, and that's mostly because he's at the top of the "Start with the Greeks" path for philosophy.
>>
What's the best edition to read
>as a Catholic
>>
>>8628020
Well, it's relatively ignored. It should be the only book /lit/ talks about, but /lit/ talks about lots of books that don't matter instead
>>
>>8628022
NABRE.
>>
I've read the whole thing through once purposefully and several specific books more. I grew up in a Christian family but it was never really pushed to read it. I actually enjoyed most of it, except for the Jewish law books. It's hard to really fully discuss on /lit/ because you can take literally years of courses on it and not fully grasp it
>>
File: Series_ep26_131.jpg (176KB, 1050x826px) Image search: [Google]
Series_ep26_131.jpg
176KB, 1050x826px
>>8628022
Douay-Rheims is the traditional choice. But do try to learn Latin to read the Vulgate; Jerome's vocabulary and syntax is rather eccentric and non-classical but the prose is a heaven of a lot simpler than pretty much anything else in the language.
>>
>>8628000
Why should I read it?

Just because it's old and "influential"? That's a stupid reason to read a book.
>>
I read it in the psychiatric hospital once I'd read all the other good books from their miniscule "library" and had nothing better to do. Except go to group therapy but I always skipped group therapy because it was bull.

Haven't felt the urge to reread it yet, and it's been a solid 5 years since then.
>>
File: 1449981987436.jpg (258KB, 770x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1449981987436.jpg
258KB, 770x1038px
How many of you have read the Quran?

Or hadiths like Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim? If you can make your way through those as a non-Muslim, you've earned some serious bragging rights.
>>
>>8628000
Only a few people have probably finished it here. Homer is read in high school and is about a thousand pages shorter than the bible.
>>8628027
How does that compare to other versions?
>>
>>8628000
>it seems like the Bible gets ignored.

what? is this your first day? it's one of the most discussed books on /lit/. It topped the last /lit/ chart, dumbass

you christfags and your fucking persecution complex. Y'all literally rule the world and you still complain when anyone doesn't feel like sucking you off in supplication 24/7.

fuck
you.
>>
>>8628072
lmao look at this faggot
>>
>>8628093
Christ is a faggot
>>
>>8628057

I got tired of the whole, "Remember that one time in the bible where they said Jesus did that? Naw it was Allah."
>>
File: charity.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
charity.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>8628099
>le edgy
>>
>>8628057
Islamic texts didn't influence 1100 years of literature. They aren't allowed to depict the natural world and kill people over cartoons. Who gives a shit
>>
>>8628072
>Y'all literally rule the world
Are you retarded?
>>
>>8628062
>How does that compare to other versions?

It's a more modern version, using some of the latest discovered sources of the Bible for more accuracy. Also, written to be more literal while still using contemporary English. Thus, it's a faithful rendering of what we know to be the Bible, while being readable to modern English speakers.

NABRE is also approved by United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Among more secular scholars, it's also considered a more than adequate version.
>>
>>8628047
you hate the greeks then?
>>
>>8628072
I won't argue that it isn't renowned on the board but it doesn't seem like many people have actually read it.

it only made the top position because the OP allowed multiple votes from the same person and people thought it would be funny.
>>
Lattimore _newTestament.png

Reading this one right now. Incredible. Genuinely one of the greatest books/anthologies I've read.
>>
>>8628133
i expect he enjoys them a great deal
>>
>>8628000
The Bible is not written to be read, it's written to be taught.
>>
There's a few threads about the Bible every day. Somebody isn't paying attention.
>>
>>8628000
>Finishing the bible
It's a boring, awfully badly written book. The story isn't even good. No thanks.
>>
>>8628072
>you rule the world

Are Christians Jews?
>>
>Psalms everywhere
>X son of Y son of Z who also had a brother by the way and did I tell you about their cousin who had a kid and...

I'd rather read a phone book.
>>
>>8628022
The Jerusalem Bible as the standard Catholic study bible.
>>
>>8628099
of course he is. christ is the faggot, the leper, the lowest prostitute. think of an aids-ridden man-whore dying in shit and vomit: that is christ. authentic christians understand this, only heathens protest.
>>
>>8628655
>i have the attention span of a fly
>>
>>8628133
Homer and Ovid didn't go around killing people who didn't like their stories.

The people who wrote the Bible sure did, though. Do you even realize how many ancient Greek epics, poems, and histories, were destroyed by biblethumping barbarians? Do you realize how lucky we are to still be able to read the Odysseu, and Metamorphosis? If you have ANY respect for the Greeks you should find Christianity disgusting. The Bible is an instruction manual for the ruin of western civilization.

>in before "teee hee hee tips fedora"
>>
File: rainbow quran.jpg (179KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow quran.jpg
179KB, 640x427px
>>8628842
>judging a book by its fanbase
>hating a book because it disagrees with your politics
Maximum pleb.

I'm not proud of everything early Muslims did, but that doesn't make the Quran a bad book. And it doesn't make the Bible a bad book.
>>
how does one read the whole pack?
>>
>>8628859
>Quran and bible
>Not bad books
Shiggy diggy, I bet you love Mein Kampf too
>>
>>8628648
>Are Christians Jews?
Was Jesus an actual Jew?
>>
>>8628000
I've read it twice. Years ago though so the details are hazy.
>>
>>8628859
>I'm not proud of everything early Muslims did
>early Muslims did
>early

What a relief they have learned already.
>>
>>8628000
I think it has a lot of value as a mythology and for social anthropological understanding.
Unfortunately, there is a lot of pressure around it, and the bizarre perspective that it should be regarded as historical truth and never questioned.
To be honest, I think the best approach to studying the Old Testament is through the lens of Judaism.

As far as the New Testament, the gospels and Acts are valuable as mythology, but a great deal of the rest of it is really doctrinal discussion with little value to anyone outside of the Christian religion.
>>
>>8628882
A Jew influenced by Hellenism apparently. I think it took about 50 years after his death for his new sect to be distinguished from Judaism. Then it gets outlawed right off the bat by some fuckwad Roman emperor.
>>
>>8628899
>A Jew influenced by Hellenism apparently
That was Paul. Jesus was a jew by all measures
>>
>>8628000
Instead of "The Bible", how about Genesis? Or Ecclesiastes? Some of the books are more literarily interesting than others.
I have read all of it, a few times, as a preacher's kid, and I can tell you, unless you are religious, or studying it for historical purposes, there is not much point in reading the whole thing.
>>
File: Ζεύς.jpg (499KB, 1000x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Ζεύς.jpg
499KB, 1000x1102px
>>8628842
This. Neo-Neo-Christians that think that a love of literature and art and beauty and humankind is somehow compatible with their totalitarian hellcult of a religion have no real understanding of the early or medieval or even counter-reformation church, its practices or doctrines.
>>
>>8628911
Jesus was a Hebrew. The Jewish religion is younger than Christianity.
>>8628899
The first writings of the New Testament are epistles of Paul which were written 25 years after the Crucifixion. By that time the Christian religion had already started spreading beyond the Hebrews.
>>
>>8628842
But the Greeks and the Romans did kill those who didn't like their stories. Christians were in fact the ones who got killed by them. Alongside of course, Socrates was killed because of his blasphemy against the pantheon.
>>
>>8628842
>Homer and Ovid didn't go around killing people who didn't like their stories.
Wat
>>
>>8628921
>The Jewish religion is younger than Christianity.
M8 if you're going down that route then Christianity is younger than Christianity.
>>
>>8629008
The Hebrew religion is older than Christianity and Christianity is indeed seen as the continuation and fulfillment of it.
The Jewish religion was founded some 300 years after Christianity as a reaction to it.
>>
>>8629025
The Christian religion was founded some 300 years after Christianity, as a reaction to it.
>>
File: Ἥρη.jpg (295KB, 1000x1148px) Image search: [Google]
Ἥρη.jpg
295KB, 1000x1148px
>>8628924
The Christians refused to pray for the empire, being spiritual tax-evaders as it were, and moreover dedicated themselves to slandering the gods and authority, overturning the basic universal religion and morality that all peoples of the empire (save the Jews) could agree on. They were a foreign cult openly proselytizing, preaching the end of days and that Roma was a filthy whore, and trying to destroy the foundations of society. Of course they'd be persecuted. All the Romans asked of a Christian was to give a sacrifice for the good of the empire, to show that they weren't utterly hostile to civilization and all mankind as they claimed to be.
I emphasize this, these people literally were saying that every human being deserves to be tortured for all eternity and will be and that only they, who renounced obedience to laws and piety, were to be spared. I repeat: these people literally were saying THAT EVERY HUMAN BEING DESERVES TO BE TORTURED FOR ALL ETERNITY AND WILL BE.
The Romans merely recognized the Christians for what they were- enemies to all life and goodness, and treated them as they expected, wanted to be treated.
And of course once the despotic emperors of the dominate converted (while still living in luxury, decked in Tyrian purple and golden crowns, keeping slaves and forcing senators to kiss their feet) the Christians themselves turned to brutally executing the pagans.
>>
>>8629029
How so?
>>
>>8629042
Istanbul/
>>
>>8629041
This is why the early Christians were so good.

Shame they sold out :(
>>
>>8629041
I didn't know we had /pol/ pagan larpers here, interesting.
>>8629045
What about Instabul?
>>
>>8629054
Constantinople.
>>
>>8629025
Unfortunately Jewish historical revisionism has written into the cultural narrative that Judaism is older than Christianity, and that Noah, Moses, and Jacob, etc. were all Jews.

Yes, people think Noah was a Jew. The ignorance is just mindboggling.
>>
>>8629041
When you put it that way, Christians really just sound like proto-SJW's.

Christians openly preach anti-social ideas, and call you "blasphemer" if you disagree.

SJW's openly preach anti-social ideas, and call you "racist" if you disagree.

>>8629054
I would think there'd be a rather large neopagan population on /lit/, since Christians tend to be allergic to books.
>>
>>8629054
>>8629058
https://youtu.be/vsQrKZcYtqg
>>
>>8628000
I was forced to read this every day from 8-18. I found it very dull on the most parts. If someone was interested in reading the bible they should not read it like a regular book. It should definitely read section by section, skipping around to what interests you.
>>
>still no memes about superiority of sumerian mythology
I'm disappointed.
>>
>>8630746
I'm halfway through Exodus and bored to shit, will reading The Old and The New Testament's at the same time be more attention grabbing?
>>
>>8628859
let's judge these 'books' like we would any other.

what makes them bad books is that they are boring, written awfully, constantly contradict themselves and yet still asks its readers to take everything they say as literal gospel.

The old testament is cool, huh? Well jesus comes along as makes all of it null in the new testament. God is a vindictive entity in the old testament then a forgiving, loving one in the new. So we're supposed to believe an omniscient, omnipotent being suddenly decided to change its mind about everything it created?

oh and what the fuck was jesus doing during his teenage years? Just training to be a carpenter? How many people do you think needed his help during that time and he just fucked around until he decided 'ooh I'm an adult now better help people.

The whole thing is riddled with plot holes and to compare these books to the beautiful poems Homer wrote is an insult.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.