[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just read Society of the Spectacle. I've never read a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

I just read Society of the Spectacle. I've never read a word of Hegel and the only Marx I've ever read is the Manifesto. I have a fair understanding of world history. Did I get anything out of it?

-More seriously, let's try a serious thread about Debord's little book. Here is an English translation:

https://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/debord/society.htm

I think that it will be worthwhile for discussion to consider the first and the last pronouncements in each of the nine chapters. Debord is usually pretty good about buttoning the chapter's theme in the opener and the closer.
>>
>>8627612
All aspects of modern capitalist society is mediated by images and we constitute our idealized self-image within that spectacle.

From being into having into appearing
>>
Some notes on the text, which are straightforward by just browsing the OP link:

The text is divided into nine chapters, each chapter being prefaced by a related quote. It is further subdivided into 221 sections (not counting the chapter-opening quotes), or as I like to say "pronouncements", which range from a sentence to a very long paragraph or two.

This choice of numbered paragraph-by-paragraph organization of a short, serious text is very much in the European philosophical tradition of shorter texts. Locke's second treatise of government, Kant's prolegomena, Luther's 95 theses, all operate in the same way.

The pronouncements are divided among the chapters like so:

I 1-34
II 35-53
III 54-72
IV 73-124
V 125-146
VI 147-164
VII 165-179
VIII 180-211
IX 212-221

Thus I propose for discussion to copypasta precisely the above 18 pronouncements which delimit each chapter's end points, although of course they are readily accessible in the OP link. Posting them here and encouraging a direct discussion of them ought to be a good starting point for discussion of the text, I think, although this fairly presupposes that a browser has actually read the text.
>>
File: Arnoldstoned.jpg (17KB, 300x263px) Image search: [Google]
Arnoldstoned.jpg
17KB, 300x263px
What if we lived in the matrix, starring Keanu Reaves as Neo?
>>
>>8627622

Yes, this is the introductory rhetoric of the text (which wiki also focuses on the opening statements of chapter 1), but Debord goes on to consider other sectors of modern life - physical territory, culture, and time among them (which seem to remain popular discussions in leftist discourse). And this is a good place to recapitulate the chapter-by-chapter, in my own initial take:

I Separation Perfected

Statement of meme-principles. It's all a spectacle, man, but it's not just your tv. Marxist understanding of the above is begun to be hinted at, and the contemporary reader gets hints of how we read the internet today.

II The Commodity as Spectacle

Debord demonstrates a "The First bits of Capital" Marxist vocabulary, I guess. It's abstruse but there's "commercials n shiet are bad!" going on here.

III Unity and Division within Appearance

This one is frankly both confusing and interesting. The theme of the chapter is the tension of unity and division, especially as they are obliged to operate with respect to Debord's spectacle: both contradicting and reinforcing one another at this-or-that point. One gets a sense that the strange and contradictory language of this chapter entails both Hegelian and Marxist dialectic.

IV The Proletariat as Subject and Representation

This chapter is the long slog. On one level (though this is only my read and possibly not Debord's full authorial intent) it's a recapitulation of (mostly) the Soviet Union up until the time of the writing of the text, the early sixties. Debord seems to observe "oh damn, this didn't work out quite as well as we had hoped", and so the Soviet bureaucrats, Revolution-betrayers, Stalins etc are the new thug-bourgeoisie, who must "appear" to be proles, or something along those lines. The point being that there is a spectacle here as well, though the word is barely invoked in the chapter.

V Time and History

This one deserves a re-read. various versions of time (cyclical, progressive (linear)) accord somewhat to certain familiar political views.

VI Spectacular Time

Vacations, work shifts, etc are artificial and not-objective modes of bracketing time. Keep this in mind.

VII The Organization of Territory

Comments on the "sameness" of cities, destinations, standardization. "Complaint of banalization" (take it up with modernism as opposed to capitalism?)

VIII Negation and Consumption Within Culture

Disruption of "culture" (art, old society) by capitalism. Elaborate ways of saying that the spectacle (modern capitalism) is "false" culture, or otherwise disruptive.

IX Ideology Materialized

Discussion of "ideology" (sniff) with reference to all of the above. Debord's positive solution is a vague re-work of Marx, the worker's "councils" (mentioned earlier), who are presumably Woke, or on the path to being Woke from the Spectacle.
>>
>>8627773
Please don't ever write like that again.

Le epic memes xD
>>
>>8627773
'
desu I was planning on reading this as part of my media theory studies but this turned me off

sounds like just another shrill moralizer
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.