[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I read the first 114 pages, when does it get good and not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: V-paperback-Perennial-1990.jpg (26KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
V-paperback-Perennial-1990.jpg
26KB, 307x475px
I read the first 114 pages, when does it get good and not astoundingly boring?
>>
>>8624323
Drop it, it's shit
>>
idk never read the book
>>
>>8624323
I'm reading it too. Like 250 pages in, it gets a little better, but doesn't really go anywhere. Maybe I'm a pleb but I liked CLO49 a lot more since at least it was easy to follow where the plot went. Here it's hard to remember since there's so many characters and so many time jumps
>>
>>8624359
I'm not getting lost but im completely uninterested in the story and nothing else seems interesting
>>
>>8624323
should I start with V. or TCoL49?

V. sounds more interesting plot-wise to me personally, and sounds more PoMo. But you shouldn't read for plot obv.
People generally say that you should start with TCoL49.

But at a first glance it has ZERO things to do with pomo. And the Pynchmeister has FUCKING disowned it along with an explanation that also seems to imply it TCOL =/= pomo.

But people call it a better book and even one of the most important and vital pomo landmarks.

what the fuck should I do?
pynchmeister's meming me before I ever even spent a penny on him
>>
>>8624323
man don't force yourself to read something you don't like. If nothing else read the esther gets a nosejob chapter but I feel like the themes and points he made in this book are worth exploring.
>>
Well you are reading a book pressed onto the American public by the CIA in order to convince them that pointless pedantic and pretentious writing is worthwhile and intellectual.

I mean, look at entertainment surrounding you today. It's all garbage. It all starts with CIA scams like Pynchon.
>>
>>8624367
i thought v was great and tcol49 lost a lot of steam after the first couple chapters.
>>
>>8624371
Just read that. Aside from making me slightly quesy I didn't get anything from it
>>
>>8624378
Maybe stick around for profane's alligator hunting.

That part along with the florence heist got me hooked. I'm almost 300 pages in. I did like the book from the start though, so maybe you should put it away for now.
>>
>>8624378
to be honest if you're looking for some sort of grand chase thing this isn't the book for you.
I think Pynchon writes the kind of books that are more profound upon thinking about them. There never is a huge hook or great resolves but the moments he gets right, they really do stick with you.
What I got out of V was: what's the point of trying to make something of yourself or be in action, when the things that are considered real and important mostly pertains to fighting, dying or suffering for some bullshit cause. What's the point of caring when that care will only be taken advantage of, why go along with something when it'll only get you hurt? Most of all just why even attempt to make sense of people and their motives when you can easily live life to your own accord even if that's only flowing with the wave of life that comes at you.

That all seems really nebulous but that's how the book made me feel. I didn't feel satisfied at the end of the book but the lessons I learned in it stuck with me and it's not like your time is important to you anyway considering you're posting on lit.
>>
>>8624367
TCoL49 is fantastic. The sentences in the last ten pages are some of the best he'd ever write. Plus you can read it in a day off.
>>
I got almost 300 pages in before dropping it. I was expecting to like considering how much I like TCoL49. I was quite enjoying it until we narrative went back in time. I thought it became too unwieldy after that. It seems more straightforward in ways I didn't like and less straightforward in other ways I didn't like. It almost felt like the inverse of TCoL49.
>>
I preferred V. to TCoL49. I definitely didn't understand everything, but it was a great introduction to Pynchon and one of the best reading experiences I've had.
>>
>>8624323
>AUTHOR OF VINELAND
>>
>>8624367
you can read it however unless you're retarded. It's not that hard as kids say it is. I went TCoL49 > GR > Against the Day > M&D

TCoL49 because it was short, GR because it's the work I knew him for and wanted to read it, then Against the Day because I love the period and M&D.
TCoL49 is a great starting point just because it's short, but there's no reason whatsoever why you couldn't just read GR first.
>>
>>8624374
?
>>
>>8624663
Vineland was good you pleb. Are you just ass mad because it had an easy to follow plot?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.