[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please explain this poem to me? https://allpoet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: hart-crane.jpg (23KB, 203x250px) Image search: [Google]
hart-crane.jpg
23KB, 203x250px
Can someone please explain this poem to me?

https://allpoetry.com/The-Broken-Tower
>>
he fuggged another dudes wife lmao
>>
File: oconeebells.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
oconeebells.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>8623407
Crane was homosexual, the poem talks about a heterosexual experience with one of his closest friend's wives, the wife of biographer critic Malcolm Crowley.

It's Crane's farewell to poetry and to life. It was the last new poem of his to be published.
Most of Crane's poetry is up for interpretation, it's just the way he wrote. People disagree on a lot of his poems.
Look at his longest work, The Bridge. It's an optimistic Whitmanian song of American ingenuity, an antithesis to Eliot's Wasteland. It focused a lot on the architecture of New York, praising it in song both to the effect of metaphor and literally. Now consider the title of "The Broken Tower". It was more likely than not meant as a farewell. It's despair in Crane's signature lateral eloquence.
>>
Anyone have any particular Crane lines in their head a lot?
'minstrel galleons of Carib fire' keeps coming up.
>>
>>8624110
>It's an optimistic Whitmanian song of American ingenuity, an antithesis to Eliot's Wasteland. It focused a lot on the architecture of New York, praising it in song both to the effect of metaphor and literally.
This sounds amazing. Do i need to read anything else before I jump into The Bridge? I've already read The Wasteland a ton.
>>
>>8624155
I get "Stars scribble on our eyes the frosty sagas,The gleaming cantos of unvanquished space" in my head a lot, even if Cape Hatteras is maybe the hokiest section of The Bridge.
>>
>>8624320
Read his first collection White Buildings first.
>>
>>8624155
I love his description of the sea in Voyages, "Her undinal vast belly moonward bends," and how the shapes of the letters in the line resemble the rolling waves.
>>
File: farewelltospring.jpg (30KB, 388x271px) Image search: [Google]
farewelltospring.jpg
30KB, 388x271px
>>8624320
Not in particular, having read The Wasteland you'll see where Crane drew inspiration and the opposite parallels he wrote. It's the American pseudo-epic.
>>
OP, in here M. Bloom talks about it a good bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRpRBMmD27k
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.