/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would JK Rowling or Stephen King or a big name genre author winning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Stephen King.jpg (360KB, 1536x983px) Image search: [Google]
Stephen King.jpg
360KB, 1536x983px
Would JK Rowling or Stephen King or a big name genre author winning the Nobel Prize be less controversial and more accepted than Bob Dylan winning?
>>
>>8623019
Since the problem with Dylan is really that he doesn't produce literature and won it, I'll go with no.
>>
>>8623027
but /lit/ would erupt into more of a shitstorm if either of those two won instead of what we actually got.
>>
Depends on the writer. Le Guin or Wolfe probably wouldn't draw the same ire. King or Rowling definitely would.
>>
>>8623157
Genre-kun please stop pushing your Wolfe meme, none is buying that
>>
>>8623019
Accepted by whom?
>>
>>8623172
people who actually read
>>
>>8623160
Hot reactions on Wolfe would be "literally who"
Le Guin probably wouldn't trigger as much as Dylan, but they'd still take it as an insult and whine
>>
Earlier someone posted an article about how a group of lit profs were pushing for this for twelve years.

I think the real problem is that academics are insane. We really need to stop taking them seriously if they start to go bad like that. I don't blame the nobel people, they are in sweden, that place is a mess in many, many ways.
>>
>>8623185
It's old deluded hippies who think that some warbler from their youth is somehow worth the prize. Nostalgia goggles gone awry.
>>
>>8623019
Who cares.
>>
>>8623683
Member hippies? I member.
>>
File: XO_j0F1Pqf4.jpg (56KB, 453x604px) Image search: [Google]
XO_j0F1Pqf4.jpg
56KB, 453x604px
>>8623019
The lyrics of a song can be argbily be considered poetry, and thus a form of literature.
Technically speaking, anyone who creates literature or has a lit-related work published can be considered an author.

But we know better than that, don't we?

Do prizes and Nobel prizes matter?
Do they really reward a quality and original work that can move people's hearts and/or shake them inside out like an earthquake?

No. Such a prize in theory is a public reward for an outstanding and amazing work -quality, originality, rhythm, etc-, but in reality it is not.
Nobel prizes and alike are most of the time just politically moved and follow a certain agenda, that does not agree with the quality or a work, or an author.

Bob Dylan has been a big public figure that has been involved in politics for a long time and whose music has been having a large following for a very long time as well. There have been people wanting to give him a 'big' public reward/prize for a very long time, and they have decided to do it now. Or allowed
Most of the people are very aware, even if it's without thinking much, that giving a literature Nobel prize to a musician is something that doesn't make any sense, and it just proves in a very basic way that Nobel prizes are a joke.

People don't give a fuck because they know that Nobel prizes and alike are a joke and should not be taken into consideration or respected. This is nothing more than just another prove of that. A big one, but not the first and certainly it won't be the last.

Two people may not deserve a prize. Yet, is not the same to give it to someone who obviously has nothing to do with the topic than to give it to someone who HAS something to do with the topic and who IS publicly known by the people for doing so.

This youtuber thoughts on ghost writing and assigning value can be applied to this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzhEZHEQhZw
>>
>>8625225
>argbily
sorry, my laptop went crazy here. I meant
>arguably
>>
>>8623019
No, it would be much more controversial. Dylan is a fine and often inspired poet, though a horrible singer. Rowling and King are decent genre writers, and nothing more. Cohen would be a better choice, but he never had Dylan's popularity.
>>
>>8623160
14 people have bought it in the top 100 list.
That's 5 more than a year ago. I'm doing God's work.
>>
Nah, King winning would just confirm what everyone already thinks of the award. Dylan winning is just shit posting.
>>
Next up: Peace prize for Hilldog.
>>
>>8625225

>The lyrics of a song can be argbily be considered

Really? You effortpost this hard and still fuck up this bad on the very first sentence?

Opinion invalidated
>>
[Vomits]
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
Yes. Nobel Prize has been a meme for a while now though, so I'm not really that invested.
>>
>Nas will be a Nobel laureate in your lifetime.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.