[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Beowulf a Christian work or is it a Pagan work with Christian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Heorot.jpg (266KB, 762x1016px) Image search: [Google]
Heorot.jpg
266KB, 762x1016px
Is Beowulf a Christian work or is it a Pagan work with Christian values added by the poet ? Is it just a mixture of both ? In my opinion it is an example of the coming of Christianity into the Pagan world and the confusion that the transition originally caused, the poem starts with Scyld Scefing, an obvious allusion to the mythical king Sceafa, I think at some later point the poet even mentions that they are the same person, comparing the burial to the way in which he came as a child. This is the connection with old Norse legends. However, later on, Grendel is described as wearing the mark of Cain, a biblical reference, but just a couple of paragraphs later, it once again switches to talking about the giants that warred against God which I assume is their war against the Asgardians. This is just a small part from the first few pages of the mixture of influences that you can find in the poem, combined with the inclusion of actual historical figures such as Hrothgar, it can quickly become confusing. I'd love to hear some opinions about it.
>>
Christianity came to baptize paganism, not to burn it.
>>
>>8621254
>this is what christcucks actually believe
>>
>>8621257
If you thought about your surroundings at all you'd realize contemporary culture resembles paganism more than anything else
>>
>>8620599
So, the values of Beowulf, e.g. the pursuit of glory in combat, are obviously pre-Christian. The Poet imposes a Xian morality on the characters, but it does not quite fit
>>
>>8620599
>a Pagan work with Christian values added by the poet
This. But Christianity is more dominant than you think.
>>
>>8621271
In the Gospels, Jesus ministered to soldiers.
>>
>>8620599
>Is it just a mixture of both ?
That how I understand it. I believed it's pretty much agreed upon that it was clearly written by a learned Christian poet, but it's a retelling of a traditional myth with pagan origins. Thus the Christian elements don't really mesh well with the narrative but the poet had to include them.
>>
>>8621570
Had to include them? Probably just wanted to. Them being in it probably helped with making it survive.
>>
File: 1445579450027.jpg (40KB, 163x225px) Image search: [Google]
1445579450027.jpg
40KB, 163x225px
>be Christcuck
>feel absolutely compelled to destroy every culture you come across

Why are the Abrahamic religions so evil?
>>
>>8622855
Strong convictions precede great actions my friend.
>>
>>8622855
What's up, Varg?
>>
>>8620599
>hey what influenced the writing of this book
>i fucking hate christcucks le dead kike on stick
this board is fucking stupid
>>
>>8621266
>contemporary culture resembles paganism
how come ?
>>
>>8622855
Every monotheistic religion seeks to destroy every culture it comes across, it just happens most the ones are Abrahamic
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.