[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

“Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: Kierkegaard.jpg (49KB, 310x459px) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
49KB, 310x459px
“Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll regret it either way; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.”

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8618668
Pretty obvious isn't it?

Can we make 'what did he mean by this?' and 'really makes you think' posts a bannable offense already?
>>
>>8618674
But why is this the essence of all philosophy?
>>
>>8618705

Because you can't be sure about anything. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
he's making a strawman in favour of relativism by saying people are dumb and regret everything.
hey kierke something, I don't regret having made this comment, what now!
same for every decision I ever make because i make them logically. it's not that hard lol
>>
>>8618716
I don't know about you but I regret every second I waste on 4chan
>>
>>8618716
hey son, thanks for posting. you made me realise how much i regret mactavishing your mom that one time.
>>
>>8618722
yea i haven't come here in years. it's an addiction and I have none, bar reading.
>>
>>8618668
i'm autistic and forgot about aristotle/aquinas
>>
>>8618668
a rhetoric understanding of the world leads you to hate it or philosophy leads you to autism.
>>
what a cringey fedorafag
>>
>>8618668
Stolen from the Babylonians desu.
>>
Whats the point in reading philosophy? Everytime I read something a philosopher thought and wrote, I think-yeah I remember when i myself came to this conclusion/thought about this
>>
>>8618668
It's the realization that you have at the end of the aesthetic stage before killing yourself or going crazy or something, or moving on to the ethical stage.
>>
>>8618716
If you don't regret your post you don't need to think about it. That is, you don't need philosophy.
>>
>>8618668
>What did he mean by this?

He was making a point about life and how all roads eventually lead to despair.
>>
That everything leads to stress/suffering/unhappiness/discomfort (dukkha).
>>
>people replying seriously to this

I'm glad it's this easy to garner replies, I will enjoy it here I think.
>>
>>8619037
Living entirely for the (You)s, huh?
>>
>>8619056
Will to power, son.

Once you pop, you can't stop.
>>
>>8619063
Nietzsche would fucking spit on you. You don't know what "Will" or "Power" even is.
>>
>>8618668
The measure of significance of an action is the degree to which you regret it later
>>
>>8618903
Have you read a work from start to finish? It's easy to make judgements based on small quotes
>>
>>8618668
Completely and utterly wrong.

Proper philosophy, truly great wisdom, comes from men of great heights, not weaklings from the lowly valley of regretfulness and indecisiveness. Weak little faggots regret their lives. Strong individuals don't regret anything — they endure, and take responsibility for all, and persevere with a chip on their shoulder, and aspire to even greater heights. Their head is forward, equipped with their past, staring the beast of the future directly in the eyes; the weak look away, backwards, because the future scares them and the past haunts them.

Fuck Kierkegaard, that little Christian shit.
>>
>>8619266
t. 17 year old who read nietzsches Wikipedia page
>>
>>8619312
I've been reading Nietzsche and philosophy in general since I was 16. I'm 24 now. Come up with a proper rebuttal if you're going to get in an uproar by what I write, you twit.
>>
>>8619334
You'd have to make an actual critique first, edgyfriend
>>
This is a quote from a pseudonym in either/or, the question you should be asking yourself isn't "what did Kierkegaard mean by this" but "what does this statement say about the mindset and life philosophy of the person who said it?"

In context, the aesthete is saying that applying dialectical reasoning to the great existential questions of one's life leads only to regret from which there's no escaping. Marriage in particular is a recurring theme for both pseudonyms. According to A, the only way to prevent falling into this spiral of regret is to completely forgo putting forth a answer to these existential questions, for a thesis begs an antithesis and so on... Ironically, the rest of part 1 is an outline of the aesthete's approach to life.

Disregard these fedora tipping atheist nietzschefags and read the book mate, you might enjoy it.
>>
File: luke-wilkins-diner-filter-4.jpg (530KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
luke-wilkins-diner-filter-4.jpg
530KB, 1920x1080px
>>8618668
He is stating a rule of what we would now call science.

>Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it

If you take her advice and things go poorly it is because you took her advice. If the opposite happens it is because you did not. However, if you understood that before making the decision to either take her advice or not then ultimately your feelings about the decision you would make would change.

In other words, is the third way of thinking about a problem with two options that the two options themselves do not matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFRdVj4rrAE
>>
>>8618668
Means it's shit and we're all in it.

Bask in shit friends.

Bask in it.
>>
>>8619380

>>8619266 is a fine critique. Let me elaborate.

If Kierkegaard thinks philosophy is simply listing out what is common in things, he is wrong. Philosophy is that, but is also an act of creation on the part of the philosopher — the philosophy is the ultimate culmination of that person's dreams and prejudices.

If Kierkegaard thinks philosophy is born from a deep regret, he is still wrong. Regret is not what fueled Thales when he made the first philosophical statements in human history. In what sense can it be seen as rational to think that analysis of the world must be fueled by regret? Analysis is a proactive process, born from idleness and excess energy (i.e. a healthy spirit).

If Kierkegaard thinks philosophy is reducing behavior to its principles or exposing the repetition and futility of actions, then he is a pessimist, and he's fine to think that way. Though I find pessimism to be indicative of two things: 1) nihilism, due to an initial optimism that was crushed, and 2) lack of creative fervor which is necessary to overcome said nihilism.
>>
>>8619621
>If Kierkegaard thinks
>If Kierkegaard thinks
>If Kierkegaard thinks

You don't actually know what Kierkegaard thinks, and that entire post was you fellating yourself on your vague understanding of the quote in the OP (which you misunderstood).

If you're going to suck yourself off on an anonymous chink cartoon website, at least go read the Sparknotes first.
>>
>>8618929
>>8619499
These guys get it. K. is illustrating a mindset he believes many people are stuck in.
>>
>>8619720
I haven't read the original material by Kierkegaard that the quote is from. So yes, I did not know exactly what he was talking about, and addressed multiple possibilities I saw based on the quote alone.

If >>8619499 is correct, then I was not too far off. For this

>According to A, the only way to prevent falling into this spiral of regret is to completely forgo putting forth a answer to these existential questions, for a thesis begs an antithesis and so on

is a fundamentally pessimistic line of reasoning.
>>
>>8618716
Please continually update us with your opinion on this post you have made in case you do end up regretting it in the future.
>>
>>8618668
Like I said...You have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem. Yeah.
>>
I think it's just that you live with the knowledge that you could have done other things.
It's not necessarily just 'regret', its that he thinks that people wish they would have done better.
If you did it perfectly to satisfaction, then you wouldn't give a fuck and thus would never end up becoming a philosophy major trying to deconstruct the meaning of the world so eventually, you get laid.
>>
>>8618668
>gentlemen

DID HE JUST ASSUME MY GENDER?!
>>
>>8621386
"haha.......meme"
>>
>>8619009
Fear is the path to the dark side, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.
>>
>>8618674
>Pretty obvious isn't it

Really makes you think
>>
>>8619266
Even Nietzsche regretted some of his shit. If you've been reading him for 8 years and didn't realize that, you need to kill yourself.
>>
>>8618716
*all the decisions I ever make, sounds less retarded.
Further in the straw man fallacy you don't make a straw man, you attack one.

Just Regretting your comment for you over here.
>>
>>8618668
I was going to analyze but decided not to. Fucker is trapped in the dichotomy of duality. I hang my head but in doing so I do not hang my head, for when I do I see reason not to hang my head. I see the joys of the world and I do not regret, as I see the sorrows of the world and I do not regret for there can not be one without the other. There is a third state. The knowledge of being, understanding, and accepting.

I'm trusting a woman you are a fool. To not trust a woman she becomes the fool. However in both instances the trust of oneself is in question. And if you do not trust yourself, how can the woman trust you?

The essence of philosophy is knowing that everything you say is bullshit, because that's bullshit, and all the replies are bullshit, and only he that knows it's bullshit is right. But even so he too is wrong. But knowing that he is wrong does not bring regret, but understanding.
>>
>>8621681
>The essence of philosophy is knowing that everything you say is bullshit, because that's bullshit, and all the replies are bullshit, and only he that knows it's bullshit is right. But even so he too is wrong. But knowing that he is wrong does not bring regret, but understanding.
What a bunch of bullshit
>>
>>8618668
Kierkegaard would be incel today and have a drastically different philosophy.
>>
>>8621725
incel?
>>
>>8621725
Knee-Chi died a virgin.
>>
>>8621735

INvoluntary CELibacy
>>
File: salomé, nietzsche e rée.jpg (39KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
salomé, nietzsche e rée.jpg
39KB, 680x510px
>>8621759
I don't actually think that is accurate.
>>8621735
A man who is unable to receive sexual validation. If he was FORCED to be without women rather than CHOOSE as he did, he would be a very different man I think.
>>
>>8618967
>>8619009

so, is he essentially a buddhist?
>>
>>8619266

>weaklings
>lowly
>regretfulness and indecisiveness
>weak little faggots
>regret their lives
>strong individuals
>endure
>responsibility
>persevere
>aspire to even greater heights
>staring the best [...] directly in the eyes
>the weak
>look away

this might have just been the most cringe inducing post I've ever seen on 4chan

your prose made me gag a little

leave and never come back

>>>/https://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/
>>
>>8621759

are you retarded?
>>
>>8621783
why is it so hard for people to accept that very similar technological innovation and intellectual realisations can be achieved in different parts of the world independently
>>
>>8618668
>Hang yourself, you will regret it
for how long?
>>
>>8621773
kek-tier pic
>>
>>8621637
>Even Nietzsche regretted some of his shit
Difference between becoming wiser and knowing better than your younger self and actual regret. "Regret" as a valid disposition towards your life is absent within amor fati.
>>
>>8618668
School of Life kek
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.