[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>back in high school >read Into the Wild for class >really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: 1471153044254.jpg (1MB, 1601x850px) Image search: [Google]
1471153044254.jpg
1MB, 1601x850px
>back in high school
>read Into the Wild for class
>really connect with it
>feel sympathy for McCandless but realize that he was foolish
>the book's not about his philosophy, he rejects most of it in the end anyways
>get to class
>"haha bro what a dumbass why would you ever go into the woods?"
>tfw to smart
>>
i think that was the image that convinced me to come back here every day
>>
>>8617638
What's the quote based on anyway? I've seen that image a lot but I could never figure that out.
>>
File: me tbh.jpg (57KB, 600x649px) Image search: [Google]
me tbh.jpg
57KB, 600x649px
>>8617651
>>
>>8617658
Amazing.
>>
>>8617658
anyone with a phat is a baller in my book
>>
>>8617633

Cowards will also judge harshly he who takes risks and dies while living.

Let them judge and work their shit 9-5 jobs as they become complacent in monotonous life. The only thing worse than /pol/ or /r9k/ is someone who thinks they are granted some higher level of dignity by working and living life comfortably, without risk, without reward, other than that which a salary can bring until retirement and death.
>>
>>8617672
Let's be honest though, there's nothing admirable about running off into the woods like a retard because your parents were mean to you.
>>
>>8617688

His parents weren't mean to him. He graduated from Emory fucking University and decided to go do something different instead of falling into a formula.

Was it pre-mature? Sure. Was going there without any real survival training? Sure. But did he actually do it instead of taking some zoo-esque tour group in a bus through a resort with declawed tigers and AC when he is 65 and better off dead? Yep.
>>
>>8617688
His dad had two extra kids with his first wife after marrying his mom. I'd hate him and fuck around in the American wilderness too.

I think it's admirable that he didn't just roll over and do whatever his dad wanted him to do in life.
>>
File: OnBlackcombMountainBCCanada .jpg (56KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
OnBlackcombMountainBCCanada .jpg
56KB, 620x465px
>>8617672
I live in Vancouver and we get clueless idiots like that dick ALL THE FUCKING TIME.
Romanticizing ignorance is just pathetic -- and ignorant is all he was. There was nothing special about his little escapade, people do that shit all the time. The ones who aren't prepared, out of ignorance or arrogance, usually die.
I'd rather celebrate people who aren't ignorant or arrogant. This tedious kid did absolutely nothing interesting or new.
>>
>>8617698
>But did he actually do it instead of taking some zoo-esque tour group in a bus through a resort with declawed tigers and AC when he is 65 and better off dead? Yep.

lol.
as if it's an either or situation.
learn some skills, THEN do your thing.
otherwise you're nothing more than a selfish arrogant baby
>>
>>8617701
>His dad had two extra kids with his first wife after marrying his mom. I'd hate him and fuck around in the American wilderness too.
So, you'd let your family situation totally dictate your life and call it a victory? Laughable.

>I think it's admirable that he didn't just roll over and do whatever his dad wanted him to do in life.
He didn't do what his dad wanted, but obviously he let his relationship with his dad dictate his life and death. What's admirable about that?
>>
>>8617701
Ok, so the man was an asshole, there are forms of rebellion that don't involve suicidally braindead decisions.
>>
>>8617633
>>8617672
The irony is that 1.they are correct and 2. elitists fags who mock them often end up not taking any risk themselves and usually just try to pass their inability to find a job as a part of their adventurousness spirit
>>
>>8617742
there's more to it than just taking risk. to me going out in the woods is about being self-sufficient. I don't want to be a part of the current economy in the US. Also i don't want to have to rely on it just to survive. It's about doing what you want with your life.
>>
>>8617760
all Im hearing is just another version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTMWgOduFM
>>
>>8617760
Is it "self-sufficient" to not know what the fuck you're getting yourself into and die? It'd be one thing if he actually survived for a few years at least, but he was clearly some arrogant dumbass kid who had no idea what the fuck he was doing and paid for it.
>>
>>8617778
he fucked up and ate the wrong berry dude. it could happen to anyone. you're an ass
>>
>>8617783
>it could happen to anyone.
except for an experiences woodsman. other lives are not something you just walk into to say "fuck you dad" . he was just a poser
>>
>>8617795
>experienced
>>
>>8617783
Yeah, to anyone who's arrogant enough to think they can go from being a coddled middle class kid to surviving in one of the least hospitable areas of the country.
>>
>>8617633

I watched the movie with a friend. I understand why he wanted to go but he should've been more prepared and should have taken a FUCKING MAP.
>>
>>8617821
hell when I ran away from home it took me less than 3 hours the realize that living like a hobo would be super hard and I should just kick everyone out of the house and live alone
>>
>>8617821
it is pretty impractical for someone educated in the united states of america to be able to survive on their own
>>
>>8617795
do you have daddy issues? the only issue he had was deciding once and for all to walk away from his dad's world and do what he truely wanted.
>>
>>8617858
I have both daddy and mommy issues.
>>
>>8617858
>Attention Possible Visitors. S.O.S. I need your help. I am injured, near death, and too weak to hike out. I am all alone, this is no joke. In the name of God, please remain to save me. I am out collecting berries close by and shall return this evening. Thank you, Chris McCandless. August?

Do those sound like the words of someone who "truely" wanted to die in the woods?
>>
>>8617858
He wanted to be a contrarian but instead of being smart about it he just went for a direct opposite
>>
>>8617821
you have to be inexperienced to become experienced. and no he didn't go directly there he spent a lot of time in more hospitable areas

>>8617880
he probably did plan to die in the woods. just not so soon. dingus

>>8617888
what do you mean by being smart about it? also i wonder what you mean by being a contrarian. something tells me you're just projecting
>>
>>8617928
Good God, you're retarded. Go out and follow your idol's example then. Try to climb everest "to become experienced".
>>
>>8617942
the thing about it is there's nobody who will teach you how to do it. the fact that he even tried makes him cooler than you will ever be.
>>
>>8617971
https://www.google.com/webhp#q=survival+classes

Like I said, you're retarded.
>>
>>8617986
you clearly don't know the story. he made a mistake and ate poisonous berries you fucking fuckface. this isn't the guy who thought bears were his friends and got eaten by a bear. this is about people following their dreams which is exaclty what this guy did and he is a hero for it.
>>
>>8617672
Triggered high school senior detected
>>
>>8617988
I know the story and the whole thing was a series of bad decisions made for even worse reasons that he came to regret by the end. You're an idiot for seeing it as anything other than that.
>>
>>8618003
i'll just let your empty statement speak for itself
>>
>one of trump's sons
>winner of the john lennon post-mortem look-alike contest

explain
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.