[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am almost done with Madame Bovary The book so far is almost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: madame-bovary.jpg (173KB, 1046x1600px) Image search: [Google]
madame-bovary.jpg
173KB, 1046x1600px
I am almost done with Madame Bovary

The book so far is almost perfect, I dont consider it perfect because I am not a fan of describing with extreme detail the rooms the main character goes through.

But the book is making me feel very sad and miserable, because of its story, that is a complete success of the storytelling.

I know I will never read it again because I dont like feeling sad, miserable, and disgusted by the behaviour of a vapid vain woman.

so, do you re-read books that will make you feel sad? can you enjoy books that arent uplifting in any way, even if it is a very hidden way, some small ray of hope, some redemption?

sorry for the pleb thread.
Even stuff like Crime and Punishment had a nice ending, I mean the Siberia part to not spoil anything.
>>
>vapid vain woman
it's actually about his husband's and society's mediocrity
>>
>>8617517

I thought it was about her delusions of grandeur, unrealistic expectations, and "careerism" if the term can be applied. What the French call Arriviste.
>>
I like how the book closes on Homais earning his cross of the legion of honor
>>
>do you re-read books that will make you feel sad?

Yes. I think I must get off on it or something because I love when a book makes me feel truly sad and can even make me cry.
>>
>>8617533
Emma Bovary is being justified these days and I am for this kind of interpretation.
>>
>>8617517
I failed to grasp the commentary on society first time I read it. Not sure which parts of the book I was supposed to understand it either. Does Flaubert think poorly of the lower classes or something?

>>8617541
How is her behavior justified?
>>
>>8617562
she wanted what we all want:
>be individual and idealist
>escape the shitty cliche'd reality that she is a victim
>la bourgeoisie doesn't give a shit about intelligence, art etc. It just wants to remain mediocre.
She just wanted to live. If you know french
http://www.erudit.org/culture/xyz1016803/xyz1018314/2714ac.pdf

For godness sake: Flaubert said "MADAME BOVARY, C'EST MOI"
>>
>>8617510
>do you re-read books that will make you feel sad?

One of the biggest reasons people read is for the experience of catharsis
>>
File: spectacular-spiderman4.jpg (37KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
spectacular-spiderman4.jpg
37KB, 500x330px
>>8617583
supporting Charles Bovary and criticizing Emma you support cucking, unwitting comicality, mediocrity, patriarchy, being a mindless sheep and many others
>>
>>8617510
>The book so far is almost perfect
> I dont consider it perfect because I am not a fan of describing with extreme detail the rooms the main character goes through.
>the book is making me feel very sad and miserable, because of its story, that is a complete success of the storytelling.
>I know I will never read it again because I dont like feeling sad

I-I... honestly tried telling you somthing worhtwhile. But Christ, this whole post is a litarary caricature, in French accent.

Look, don't read it for the plot, for the feels, for the ending. Those are all alright, but they don't really go anywhere. Try to go beneath your immediate response. It's a book, nobody is going to applaud you for feeling empathy with something unreal. What is that actual point he is getting at?
>>
>>8617613
What are you on about? Criticizing Emma is criticizing cucking. She was a selfish girl caught up in her own half baked dreams, who couldn't handle reality. Charles was a perfectly decent character.
>>
>>8617510
>Novel paling sempurna yang penah ada selama ini
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>8617753
Shitty doctor though. Bullied at school because of his cap and name (bovary = boeuf a ri, the cow laughed). Even his name indicates his shittiness
>>
>>8617562
For every bourgeois, in the heat of youth, if only for a day, for a minute, has believed himself capable of immense passions, of heroic enterprises. The most mediocre libertine has dreamed of oriental princesses; every rotary carries about inside him the debris of a poet.
>>
>>8617777
Did you only scan the wiki entry?
He was a provincial doctor and not from an educated background. In the 1850's your local doctor was not going to be top of the line, he might even be a flat out quack. Being bullied and having a goofy name have no bearing on whether or not you are a decent person. If he had a fault it was putting up with his wife.
>>
>>8617975
Look at the had. Only encyclopedia he didnt even open. He was not even a doctor.
>>
>>8618554
Medical books he had*
>>
>>8617510
i havent read madame bovary, but after reading your post, it's going straight to the top of my to-read pile. im looking forward to reading it, and being sad and miserable as a result.
>>
>>8617975
>>8618554
>>8618558
not mentioning the LEG surgery he failed miserably
>>
>>8617510
>by the behaviour of a vapid vain woman.
Actually, fuck you.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.