[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about classical education When and why did it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: raffael-plato.jpg (87KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
raffael-plato.jpg
87KB, 1200x1200px
Let's talk about classical education
When and why did it get phased out?
Do you think we should bring it back?
>>
>>8617032
>When and why did it get phased out?
It couldn't get with modernism after WW2 and had to appeal only to a few elite and scholars.
>Do you think we should bring it back?
Classical education should be a privilege, not a necessity.
>>
>>8617032
People will call me a tinfoil but the dumbing down of the masses for easier control is a very real thing and common core is the latest and most sophisticated way to do so.

When you hear about how easily children can learn fucking calculus (math being a language like any other) and piano (being the easiest inroad for music theory and shown to improve cognitive function) it boggles the mind to think that the vast majority of American children spend their education learning how to draw Turkeys from their hands or make glitter collages about American Indians. Such a collosal waste of potential by focusing the most important formative learning stage on garbage. Don't teach children logic no no let's teach them about George Washington and the Cherry Tree and other shit that never happened.
>>
>>8617053
What prevented it from being grandfathered into modernism, and why do you think it should be only for a select few?
>>
>>8617032
Define classical education. The study of Latin and Greek, reading philosophy?
>>
>>8617032
The vast majority never had any formal education at all so it was never phased out for them, why it declined amongst the elites [has it?] is a different question.

>>8617074
Dumbing down from what? Since you mention "common core" you're American and if anything it seems like an improvement over whatever you've had before. Anti-intellectualism seems less bad today than 20 years ago.
If you try to introduce formal logic to children you'll probably get a backlash from parents.
>>
>>8617123
>Anti-intellectualism seems less bad today than 20 years ago.
This is not an effect of common core. Common core isn't even ten years old yet and most of the children subject to it are not in the workforce yet.
>>
>>8617115
Pretty much exactly what you listed. Modern literature in school seems to boil down to a handful of books like Moby Dick, Gatsby, and Shakespeare. Although like >>8617123 mentioned, perhaps non-pleb schools actually cover the classics properly.
>>
>>8617032
Education is first and foremost a tool of social control. 'Classical education' might have worked for the administrator classes of the former British Empire, not very much for today's 'creatives' and computer jockeys. either way, it's just an ideology they are trying to shove down your throat
>>
I see a lot of old schoolbooks from the late 1890s through recent years, from different states, in the library book donation boxes. My cursory review suggests a certain rigor that sagged in the 70s and evaporated in the 80s. Downhill since. Somebody should do a study, maybe write a book on it
>>
File: ah.jpg (107KB, 1160x1008px) Image search: [Google]
ah.jpg
107KB, 1160x1008px
I went to a weird classical education high school where we were required to learn Latin and a solid 80% of the curriculum was working through philosophy and literature from the greeks to present day. It fucked up my brain. AMA
>>
>>8617258
what do you do now?
>>
>>8617258
how much of what you learned did you retain
>>
>>8617258
I'm a sophomore in college. I'm an English major and a musician on the side. Not very surprising I know. That said, most of my classmates went into STEM fields.

>>8617274
I retained most of it and I'm pretty glad I had to go through that curriculum, obviously helps in contextualizing the art and literature I surround myself with. My Latin's a little rusty though.
>>
>>8617268
>>8617292
whoops responded to myself. That first response was for you.
>>
>>8617292

Spend 15 minutes a day on Latin and Greek. The ancients aren't for the young, but you'll be glad in a few years for having kept up your skills.
>>
>>8617302
You're probably right. I recently picked up a bilingual copy of some minor Latin poets so I'll probably start chipping away at that in my free time.
>>
>>8617258
Huh. I went to a private classical christian school as well. Im in university now and most classes so far have been baby mode for me.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.