[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be new to reading plen >mom asks what do I want for my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: received_10207938688818526.jpg (8KB, 206x211px) Image search: [Google]
received_10207938688818526.jpg
8KB, 206x211px
>be new to reading plen
>mom asks what do I want for my birthday
>ask for Dubliners
>mom comes back from the bookstore
>they didnt have the book you wanted anon
>feels slightly bad
>but they had this, is from the same author and the guy at the bookstore said it is good
>is actually Ulysses
What do?
>>
Kill yourself. Or, if you prefer, read the book.
>>
>>8611881
Will I get it?
>>
>>8611873
Leave 4chan because you're underage
>>
>>8611894
But Im 19
>>
Hold it aside a few years then read it
>>
I haven't read it, but if I were you, I'd try it. If it turns out to be too difficult or not enjoyable, I'd simply give up and leave it for later.
>>
>>8611891
No.'/\~*
>>
>>8611899
This is an adult board and you're still a teen.
>>
>>8611873
The guy at the book store wasn't lying, it's a really good book.
>>
>>8612041
everytime i go to bookstores all the employes are patrician
maybe i should get a job at one
>>
>>8611982
t. 20 y/o
>>
>asking for Dubliners
>for birthday.
are you guys poor or something?

If it's your birthday get something a little pricey. Like Zettel's Traum.
>>
File: IMG_0360.png (15KB, 428x343px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0360.png
15KB, 428x343px
>Ask for particular books for birthday/Christmas.
>I get them, but they're shit editions.
>>
File: wojak feels.jpg (75KB, 722x349px) Image search: [Google]
wojak feels.jpg
75KB, 722x349px
>>8612171
>edition has shit cover but nice paper
>>
File: topkek a novel.jpg (8KB, 200x324px) Image search: [Google]
topkek a novel.jpg
8KB, 200x324px
>be new to reading plen
>mom asks what do I want for my birthday
>ask for Dubliners
>mom comes back from the bookstore
>they didnt have the book you wanted anon
>feels slightly bad
>but they had this, is from the same author and the guy at the bookstore said it is good
>is actually pic related
What do?
>>
>>8612171
literally just specify edition to them, they probably already think you are an autist
>>
>>8612221
drop LSD into your moms coffee, after she drinks it wait 1 (ONE) hour and then start reading the book out loud
>>
Hold onto it for a bit, beauty about a book is that it will last forever

Definitely read dubliners first. It will acquaint you to his writing style in a very easy way, it won't be laborious reading dubliners, it will probably be pretty fun

Read a portrait of the artist as a young man, if you decide to only read one of these two, this is definitely the one

Then read Ulysses, you might want to read the odyssey first as well
>>
>>8612120
I've had the opposite experiences.
>>
>>8612216
Gravity's Rainbow ?
>>
>>8612243
But LSD doesn't have any effects if it's heated up.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (68KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
wojak.jpg
68KB, 645x773px
>>8612171

>Ask my Grandma to choose a book she thinks I'd like for my birthday
>She buys me a Crime and Punishment hardback
>Check the translator
>It's Garnett
>>
>>8612298
What's wrong with that ?
>>
ulysses can stand completely on its own merits. you do not have to read some set of works before to "get it".
>>
>>8612321
he is to intelligent for garnett i guess...
>>
>>8612347
It helps significantly to have Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man read before Ulysses.
>>
>>8612291
She drinks iced coffee from starbucks
>>
>>8612779
btfo
>>
>>8611891
Try and get as much out of it as you can. There are plenty of resources on the Internet, like Frank Delaney's ReJoyce, and your book should have footnotes for obscure things in the book. Ulysses is a long, tough reading experience but it's damn rewarding
>>
>>8612871
1 page in and it doesnt make any sense
brb killing myself
>>
>>8612903

Read it again.
>>
File: Leecar.jpg (11KB, 270x201px) Image search: [Google]
Leecar.jpg
11KB, 270x201px
>>8612298
>"I want some books for my birthday."
>I assume they have an idea of my tastes and would get me some classics or literary fiction.
>"Anon, I thought you would like these new [genre fiction] novels. The nice man at the store said everyone was buying this book and told me to get you this one!"
>>
>>8611891
I thought you already got it?
>>
>>8612298
I hope you got your grandma something nice, that's the best C&P translation.
>>
>>8612298

So she got you the best translation.
Patrician Grandma.
>>
>>8612150
die bourgeoisie scum
>>
File: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.jpg (69KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
The Perks of Being a Wallflower.jpg
69KB, 1024x768px
Some years back I read Otsuichi's "GOTH" novel and immediately valued it as one of the best books I've ever read. This was my mid teens. I had also read The Perks of Being a Wallflower around this time and loved it as well.

For my birthday/Christmas, which are close to one another, I asked my grandmother to get me these two. Unfortunately, she got me the manga version of GOTH and the reprint of Perks with the movie cover. I was severely disappointed.

The moral is to always be highly specific with people who do not understand your world.
>>
>>8612150
Get a load of this uncultured faggot
>>
I could never finish Dubliners, I thought it was so goddamn boring. Portrait, Ulysses, and what I read of Finnegan'''s Wake were more interesting, with FW being the best, although the most exhausting.

If I owned a bookstore, I would purposely lie to get people from reading that book.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.