[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it acceptable for writers to incorporate aspects of cultures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 269
Thread images: 31

File: culture-app.jpg (45KB, 547x241px) Image search: [Google]
culture-app.jpg
45KB, 547x241px
Is it acceptable for writers to incorporate aspects of cultures outside of their own into their writing? Where is the dividing line between a respectful use of other cultures and cultural appropriation?
>>
>>8611629
The only real "line" is not pretending to be someone you're not. Other than that anything goes and fuck anyone who says otherwise.
>>
Using Roman letters alone is cultural apporpriation. Go write in runes or some shit you filthy anglo.
>>
>>8611629
Culture is a social construct

T. Postmodernism
>>
>>8611629
What >>8611639
said. It's totally fine to "appropriate" the shit out of some culture. That's how culture survives. Like Hip Hop. Hip Hop started in the bronx and due to lack of Internet for a good while it was pretty damn contained to that one specifc place. If others around the hadn't picked up on it, it would have stayed there and eventually died out. A culture thrives on being used by as many people as possible. If you try and contain it to only this one specific subset of people who came up with it, you will suffocate and kill it.

And for the most part, only misguided SJW types care about "appropriation" Most cultures pretty much LOVE sharing their cultures with others. I mean honestly, Who DOESN'T like to show other people the stuff they enjoy?
When people cried about Speedy Gonzales being all racist stereotypes who wanted it back? Fucking Mexicans. They don't hate speedy at all. In fact they pretty much all fucking love him. Sure it wasn't mexican made but it was THEIR mouse on tv!
Japanese themselves while being mostly rather xenophobic do (as most asian cultures do) like to share their culture as well. They have no problem with you eating with Sticks, why would they?
If you ever visit some germans you can be SURE that sooner or later they will take you to enjoy some beer and bratwurst. No two ways about it.

The only thing you should not do, is to take something and imply that it is "your" thing or that you came up with it or that it belongs to you.

So yeah, go for it. incorporate away. But make sure you get it right or it might come off as lazy racism.
>>
>>8611648
Not really, not when it was the Romans themselves imposing it on others.
>>
>>8611754

Minor nit, chopsticks were invented in China.

So was the fork, for that matter.
>>
>>8611783
Lots of Japanese culture was invented in China actually.That was kinda my point.
>>
>>8611639
Anon just solved the entire GRSJ curriculum
Class dismissed folks
>>
NO, you shouldn't write outside your own race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age,and disabilities!
>>
>>8611629
There is absolutely nothing wrong with cultural appropriation
>>
http://hotelconcierge.tumblr.com/post/134371738229/on-the-origin-of-posers
>>
File: 1472323547215.png (447KB, 310x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472323547215.png
447KB, 310x500px
>>8611629
Human history is cultural appropriation

Muslims took culture from the Byzantines and Persians

Japanese and Koreans took stuff from the Han Chinese

Germanics and Celts took stuff from the Romans

Romans took stuff from the Greeks

Greeks took stuff from the Persians

Persians took stuff from Egypt

Egyptians were xenophobic and didn't take shit

Nubians took stuff from Egyptians

Slavs took stuff from the Greeks and Byzantines

Chinese took stuff from India and Tibet

Tibet took stuff from India

India took stuff from Persia

Indochina took stuff from India and China

Indonesia and Malaysia took stuff from India and China

Bantu tribes took shit from other Bantu tribes

The list goes on
>>
No, it's never ok for a snow nigger to eat pho.

This post was brought to you by the ERNSTWHILE corporation, programming forward bots to circumvent reCAPTCHA since 2016.
>>
People seem to have an over simplified view of cultural appropriation. The issue here isn't cultures borrowing from each other. It is a minority culture having its unique aspects taken from it by a larger more powerful culture. The minority culture has likely been suppressed and regarded as inferior but then what they have worked hard to preserve is stolen and claimed by others. The central importance and uniqueness it holds for a culture is diluted and the majority culture's use of it is more often a parodic misuse which cheapens it even more.
>>
File: 1410156838117.jpg (23KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1410156838117.jpg
23KB, 301x267px
>>8611948
This was a good post
>>
>>8612022

>culture is property

biggest snow nigger meme in history
>>
uh oh, white people have been braiding their hair for thousands of years, but you better not braid it all the way up to your head! that's black people """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""culture""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""".
>>
>>8612022
so they are bitch ass niggas
got it
>>
>>8611778
>Perpetuating misogynistic linguistic OPPRESSIONRAPE
even worse u monster
>>
>>8612022
Well if they didn't want their culture erased maybe they should have thought of that before they constructed such a shit culture
>>
>cultural appropriation
Cultural Marxist hogwash.
>>
>>8612473

>be cultural Marxist, unironically
>argue in favor of cultural appropriation, over and over

checkmate
>>
>>8611629
If you understand the cultures you are writing about very well, and can do so in an elegant and respectful way, then you are doing exactly what a writer should do.

If you are so hamfisted in your cultural apporpriations that anyone more-familiar-than-you with the culture in question would raise their eyebrows and say "wut?," then you have written a stupid text that people will rightfully laugh at.

That's really all there is to it. Of course, when that kind of thing does happen, there are always some ignoramuses who say "hurr stop being so offended!" But you don't have to be Japanese/African/Ancient Greek to notice and dislike when an author badly tries to incorporate some kind of cultural aesthetic.
>>
>>8612022
That's a painfully unhealthy view to have of culture.
>>
>>8611754
I generally agree with this, but I there's a specific case where I disagree and it's with any practices that require a deeper cultural context to really understand. Usually they're spiritual, but not always. When they get lifted from another culture they generally get completely separated from all of their full original meaning, and if the culture lifting the symbol is larger than the origin one the origin culture can completely lose the symbol even internally. It doesn't physically damage anyone but it seems like a dick move.
>>
File: 1356768234268.gif (116KB, 172x120px) Image search: [Google]
1356768234268.gif
116KB, 172x120px
>>8611629

Oh god their HAIRCUTS are so racist! Call the C fucking IA because there's a RACIST HATE CRIME happening on American soil!

>>8612022

It's a free country, there's nothing you can do about it except whine on the internet.
>>
No idea why clicked this thread expecting a proper discussion on this topic.
>>
DON'T BITE
>>
>>8612556

It's art. The artist can do whatever he wants so long as it's not literally against the law.

Whether the artist has done something praiseworthy or blameworthy only time will tell. The idea of limiting artistic freedom should have been left in the USSR where the sjws found it.
>>
>>8612556
This isn't a topic one can have a proper discussion of.
>>
What are you trying to borrow?
>>
>>8612516
>more-familiar-than-you
There's always somebody who will be more familiar than you. So, what, does a writer need to get a PhD in some particular culture's history before they even consider it? How much is enough? Is this like method acting but for writing?
>>
>>8612022
The phrase was originally cultural misappropriation and it meant something. Cultural appropriation is ubiquitous. The definition I would offer is it is offensive to use without permission symbols that are earned within the culture. Whether it is ok to offend or not must be judged on an individual basis.
>>
>>8611629

>ITT: PEOPLE DON'T KNOW WHAT CULTURAL APPROPRIATION MEANS

>>8612022

You come very close but contain the absolute central element as a sidenote in your last sentence.

Here is a definition to end all definitions:

It is only cultural appropriation if you not only borrow a symbol of SIGNIFICANCE, but also DISTORT IT, BELITTLE IT, MAKE FUN OF IT, CLAIM IT.

An American caucasian teenager rapping is not CA. However a rich Australian white girl putting on a southern accent in order to make money is CA. It's not hard.
>>
File: LOOKING GOOD, GIRL.jpg (169KB, 1280x1032px) Image search: [Google]
LOOKING GOOD, GIRL.jpg
169KB, 1280x1032px
>>8612581

>It's art. The artist can do whatever he wants so long as it's not literally against the law.

You're retarded. The discussion on CA is never about whether it is banworthy or to be censored.

It's simply about human decency.

No one asked for Victorias Secret to stop the sale of their "Bikinis", for the designer to be fired, or at least not a lot of people did.

The answer was simply: "Is this kind of shit really neccessary?"

And obviously, it isn't. It looks ridiculous enough without the headdress.

Even your "SJW strawman" doesn't argue infact of censorship of creative freedom, but rather asks... "just why?"

In the present or the future no one will stop you from including sacred symbols of other cultures into your beach-wear. It's not against the law, so you can proceed.

The question is a moral one. Should you proceed?
>>
>>8612809
>The question is a moral one. Should you proceed?
Here's a better question. Why should human creation adhere to whatever it is you call "human decency"?
>>
>>8612821

Flawed logic. I actually do not believe in Cultural Appropriation, I think as a concept it is not sound because it relies in a model of "culture" that is outdated and flawed.

Also I was not representing my own emotional state, because I don't actually get "offended" by seeing something like pic related in my other post.

I just have basic empathy to feel with the few natives that DID get offended.

The only reason why people should adhere to this kind of "human decency" is for human is obvious. Human decency is an entirely self-serving concept based on reciprocal respectful treatment. If that is beyond your comprehension then you should probably drink bleach :^)
>>
>>8612902
Spooky my property, very spooky.
>>
>>8612905

Not surprising that all you can is literally fall back on shitty memes instead of actually making a point.

You know, especially when I explicitly said that CA is an inherently flawed concept that is based on a notion of culture that is not logically sound...

..AKA

A fucking spook

Hope you kill yourself soon you waste of air
>>
>>8612967

all you can do*
>>
>>8612553
I hope that's bait. If not, you're literallly a social retard.
>>
>>8612902
>Flawed logic. I actually do not believe in Cultural Appropriation, I think as a concept it is not sound because it relies in a model of "culture" that is outdated and flawed.
My question had nothing to do with your thoughts on the concept. I had more to do with the relationship between artistic (should have said this rather than "human creation") creation and what you refer to as "human decency".

>Also I was not representing my own emotional state, because I don't actually get "offended" by seeing something like pic related in my other post.
>I just have basic empathy to feel with the few natives that DID get offended.
The end result is the same. Empathy isn't always the best tool when it comes to making judgements on topics like these. It's buzzord used to claim moral superiority when there's nothing of substance to say. Any sentence that uses it can be disregarded immediately. This is beside the point of course, but this part of your response had nothing to do with the question asked.

>The only reason why people should adhere to this kind of "human decency" is for human is obvious. Human decency is an entirely self-serving concept based on reciprocal respectful treatment. If that is beyond your comprehension then you should probably drink bleach :^)
Okay good, you've finally made it to the point. If this "human decency" is self-serving, should it be disregarded in situations where it should be more beneficial to disrespect someone than it would be to receive respect from them? But you still haven't answered the question. Why should artistic creations adhere to it? Why shouldn't art seek to hurt, destroy, or distort "sacred" symbols? I'm sure you'll justify it with some nonsense about power structures, but in the end, you're only limiting its potential.
>>
For me - the subject - there is only one culture, and that is the totality of my experience, direct or mediated. As some concept enters into my world it is mine to relate to as I please. The history of the concept is either beyond my scope or within my domain, there is nothing in between.
>>
>>8612022
Boo fuckin hoo. Quit being such a faggot.
>>
Is it impossible for us advanced chimps to stop clinging to our nationalities, ethnicities and what not? Fucking progressive types say they want other cultures, ethnicities, genders to be treated fairly, while in fact all they do is promote further segregation with terms like CA and other shite that is irrelevant to this thread.
>>
Why is offending someone wrong?
>>
Only if you're trying to act like a nigger.
>>
>>8612803
dumbest post in the thread
>>
>gender is a social construct and should be defined however you want
>culture ISN'T a social construct and SHOULDN'T be defined however you want

explain
>>
File: piss-christ.jpg (473KB, 1000x714px) Image search: [Google]
piss-christ.jpg
473KB, 1000x714px
>>8612809
>>8612902

>human decency
>basic empathy

I'll start respecting natives when they stop breaking into my car. Seriously though, art should challenge the viewer and shouldn't be beholden to the codes and regulations of a bunch of prissy libs.

No matter what I write in my books somebody, somewhere is going to be offended.
>>
>>8611629
those girls look 1000% better than chicks in that style do

particularly the left one, jesus

irl it's about the nastiest thing
>>
>>8611703
what on earth could it be but that?
>>
>>8613077
Leftist ideology
>>
You can write about whatever the fuck you want. Hell, if I wanted to write a book about the physiology of squids, no one could stop it, no matter how inane it is.The only worthwile criticism is the quality of the work.
>>
File: COLONIZED.jpg (201KB, 625x976px) Image search: [Google]
COLONIZED.jpg
201KB, 625x976px
it sure seems okay for non-whites to include elements of white culture, even insofar as making their main character of their most successful novel white with a name like "archie"
>>
>>8613125
It wouldnt be considered appropriation since white "culture" forced upon them or something.
>>
>>8613130
agreed about the or something
>>
>>8611778
>niggers shilling their rap albums aren't doing exactly this

>advertise your culture
>people like your culture
>get mad that "wrong" people like your culture
>>
Did anybody already mention that "white" isn't its own culture? - white includes a lot of people. English, Irish, Scots, Swedes, Norwegians, Germans, Russians, Italians, Icelanders, some Hmongs (blonde, light skin, blue eyes)... et cetera. That's just a few "white" people off the top of my head. To be honest, it would be kind of stupid to categorise all "white" people together. It's even more idiotic when people say that they don't have a culture or that they are all the same people. Don't worry about using other cultural stuff. It's awesome and sharing cultures makes things more fun.
>>
>>8613228
>nigerians, angolans, tanzanians, kenyans, ethiopians, gambians, liberians, people of the seychelles, cape verdeans...

woah really made me think you stupid sack of shit
>>
Yeah. I bet those people all have their own, different cultures with their own different languages. saying they wouldn't would be ridiculous and kind of racist given your generalising based on colour.
>>
>>8611629
>Is it acceptable for writers to incorporate aspects of cultures outside of their own into their writing?
Absolutely. Gibson would be fuck all without having incorporated all that asian and african shit. Not to mention how the impressionists would've been nothing at all and would've influenced noone if it hadn't been for 18th century french weeabooism.

>Where is the dividing line between a respectful use of other cultures and cultural appropriation?
Cultural appropriation doesn't exist. It's just a marxist concept invented to destroy whichever culture the marxist using the term are invading.

Just look at it from the opposite point: if such a thing exists, all the non-european or post-colonial cultures wearing european clothes shouldn't be doing so.

Prosaic influence is a good thing.
>>
Not all of those people liked each other's cultures either. Tribal warfare occurs in many places in which different cultures meet.
>>
>>8613254
Nice point! ( ^ ^ )
>>
>>8613253
i'm very obviously saying if "white" people have no claim for ethnic pride than neither do "black" people, whose comprising nations and populace are far more ethnically diverse
>>
>>8613262
Ethnic pride? I am unfimiliar with that term. Inform me as to what that means. Also, I live in a place in which italians, russians, and irish often fight so, yeah. I'm taking that background into account when making my judgements. Groups of people will have different cultures. It's just one of those things. Being white is not a culture in and of itself. I do not think that being black should be a culture either but in the US it simply is. I honestly don't care.
>>
Gonna go eat a Bretzel. Be back later.
>>
>>8613054
^ ^ NIce!
>>
>>8612809
As someone who is Native American, I want that chick to wear that headdress. It makes my culture shine to see a beautiful woman wearing a chief's headdress. She's powerful! I don't like you calling my cultural clothing ridiculous. Stop trying to act all high and fucking mighty by saying it was pointless. If anything, it shows that VS is for everyone.
>>
>>8613292
>>8613297
This is the most unconvincing way to keep your /pol/ threads on /lit/.
>>
>>8613302
Hm? What, do you want a picture or something? I'm screwing around a bit, but I'm honest.
>>
>>8613302
I'm pretending to be offended- but I am native LOL
>>
Social realist Marxists can fuck the hell off.

A writer can write about anything he or she wants, they don't have any obligation to write "correctly" about anything.
>>
>>8613314
( ^ ^ )
>>
>>8613339
?
>>
>>8611639
People write under pseudonyms to achieve exactly that all the time.
>>
File: 3H68p3lMgyI6.jpg (28KB, 512x360px) Image search: [Google]
3H68p3lMgyI6.jpg
28KB, 512x360px
>the white american author that writes a book about a brazilian orphan
>>
>>8612809
So when concerned with creative matters we all ought to listen to imaginary boundaries people arbitrarily set and which have no relevance to the law or even accepted standards with regards to society.

You are quite literally saying "well, you can do what you want of course but SHOULD YOU REALLY REALLY do things I don't approve of?".
You concede before even engaging and retreat to "fight" the issue on moral grounds as it holds no water on any other, but you're no moral authority, and frankly there is no reason anyone should care about what a given individual claims on those levels. Much less when concerning works that are to be exposed to the general public.
>>
>>8613667
>You are quite literally saying "well, you can do what you want of course but SHOULD YOU REALLY REALLY do things I don't approve of?".
Politicians say that shit around here whenever cencorship or terrorism or freedom of speech comes up. " You can say it but should you really want to say it?" fuck that shit.

I still don't understand what's even supposed to be wrong with cultural appropriation, though.
>>
>>8613688
Because it's wrong when politicians say it.
>>
>>8612809
>sacred symbols of another cultures
Having no sacred symbols, and having the freedom of expressing them, is the integral part of MY culture.
>>
>>8612729
So do I write to the Emperor of Japan when I want to write ninjas or is there a sub-office that handles that? Or can a Japanese friend give permission? How long does that last?
>>
Cultural appropriation is real.
A white person writing a story about a non-white person isn't appropriation.
White people commit cultural appropriation all the time and black people have done so too (see: Afrika Bambaataa, the village people, Rappers wearing kilts etc)
Koreans do it all the fucking time. They love jacking hip-hop culture and blackface is still socially acceptable there.
Not to mention all those basic white girl stores (American Eagle,Aeropostale,Victoria's Secret etc) selling and advertising with Native American shit.

Cultural appropriation is real. Going to Japan and wearing a kimono at the proper time isn't appropriation. Going to a museum and trying on a kimono at the request of a Japanese person isn't CA.

This monstrosity Katy Perry wore is cultural appropriation. It's some kind of retarded Qipao-Kimono combination she had designed for some shitty pseudo geisha performance she did. Also Gwen Stefani is a culprit too.

Cultural Appropriation is very real and I have no idea why people try to pretend it's not.
>>
>>8613936
>cultural appropriation are the things I don't like
Good.
>>
>>8613936
>pictured: Katy Perry preventing Japanese women from wearing kimonos
>>
>>8613936
Depending on how you define it, it may well be real. It's just not morally "bad", even if artistically or stylistically bad, as in some of your examples.
>>
>>8613077
The argument is more that cultural appropriation is a way to 'oppress' minority groups.The reason you shouldn't has nothing to do with culture itself but that supposedly appropriation harms real people.
>>
>>8613994
But Piss Christ doesn't harm anyone because Christianity rules the world or something.
>>
>>8613967
>It's just not morally "bad", even if artistically or stylistically bad, as in some of your examples.

I believe it is morally bad to some degree. I feel cultural appropriation is making a mockery of the original culture. Like sorority girls wearing war bonnets at coachella when most Native Americans go their entire lives without having touched a full war bonnet because of what it represents and what it takes to receive one.

>>8613950
>Putting words in my mouth

>>8613959

She's not preventing anyone from doing anything but she's making a mockery.
>>
>>8614009
Less harmful because in many places Christians are a dominant social group.
>>
>>8614011
You haven't at all explained why what that titty monster is doing is worse than one you said the Koreans and blacks are doing.
Is it because Perry is white?
>>
>>8614011
See, if you can harm the culture through such "appropriation", than it's dead already and nothing can really harm it anymore (which is the case with native americans). And if it's alive, then no harm is done and the culture bearers will laugh or not give a shit (which is the case with japanese).
>>
>>8611629
When you create an artform, you have an obligation as an artist to make it as beautiful and powerful as possible.

That includes stealing.

Face it - art is a streetfight, not a boxing match.
>>
>>8614026
>You haven't at all explained why what that titty monster is doing is worse than one you said the Koreans and blacks are doing.

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I didn't say anything was worse than another thing. I was listing examples of CA.

>Is it because Perry is white?
>Ignored the examples of black people committing CA that I pointed out.

Fuck off back to /pol/.

>>8614030
>See, if you can harm the culture through such "appropriation", than it's dead already and nothing can really harm it anymore

I disagree. It's still their culture and non-Native Americans treating it like a fashion accessory is still wrong in my eyes.
>>
File: lil cummer.jpg (65KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
lil cummer.jpg
65KB, 640x640px
>>8611629
lil cummer
>>
>>8614048
>I disagree. It's still their culture and non-Native Americans treating it like a fashion accessory is still wrong in my eyes.
If their symbol s aren't meaningful enough to inspire respect from those outside the group, the it likely was never deserving of respect in the first place.
>>
>>8614124
Think you'll find that stupid logic means that nothing is meaningful.
>>
>>8611629
>Is it acceptable for writers to incorporate aspects of cultures outside of their own into their writing?
Of course it is! Ridiculous question.
"Cultural appropriation" is SJW for 'stop doing things better than us'.
I think my absolute favorite "cultural appropriation" bit was here,
https://goo [out a dot here] gl/IBTZtR
The money quotes?
>" It’s quite another to accuse the dining room staff of stealing from Asian culture because they didn’t prepare the General Tso’s chicken with the correct sauce... ...“When you’re cooking a country’s dish for other people, including ones who have never tried the original dish before, you’re also representing the meaning of the dish as well as its culture,” student Tomoyo Joshi told The Oberlin Review. “So if people not from that heritage take food, modify it and serve it as ‘authentic,’ it is appropriative.”"
The reason that's HILARIOUS?
General Tso's Chicken was invented in a restaurant in New York City. In 1974.
Next money quote,
>>"Instead of a crispy baguette with grilled pork, pate, pickled vegetables and fresh herbs, the sandwich used ciabatta bread, pulled pork and coleslaw. “It was ridiculous,” Nguyen said. “How could they just throw out something completely different and label it as another country’s traditional food?”"
Yes, that's right. This tool said it is "Cultural Appropriation" to make Vietnamese food without using French baguettes. Because the Vietnamese appropriated baguettes from French culture just 150 years ago.
Taken to its logical conclusion Black authors can't write about classical music, the Dutch Masters, or China because they aren't European or Chinese, right?
>>
>>8614178
stay mad, honky
>>
>>8613936
Orientalism has a long history in western culture tbqh
>>
>>8612729
>without permission
WTF?
"Hello, American Southerners? Yes, I need permission to cook grits in Chicago. Yes, I can hold until you check with everyone in Georgia and Alabama"
>>
>>8612803
>a rich Australian white girl putting on a southern accent in order to make money is CA
So - stage plays, radio plays, movies, and television are all evil?
What a retarded idea.
>>
>>8614009
>>8614014
That is a crucifix. That means that is not a "generic Christian" symbol, it is Catholic.
Catholics have faced serious, official repression in the US and are still frequent targets of hate crimes in the US.
If Katy Perry wearing synthetics and pastels is bad, then this
>>8613080
is far worse because it is a direct attack on not just a culture but a belief system and a way of life.
My great-great-grandfather was hanged for the crime of being Catholic and had a sign reading 'papist' hung around his neck.
My great-grandfather was denied work and forced to work on the railroads because the laws of the day allowed people to ban Catholics from work, leasing or renting living space, and holding some offices.
My grandfather had a cross burned in his yard by the Ku Klux Klan by the KKK branch run by Hugo Black, a fierce hater of Catholics who openly advocated all Catholics be driven from America. Black was a justice of the Supreme Court of America until 1971.
>Why, yes, FDR *did* post at least on open member of the KKK to the Supreme Court, why do you ask?
Traditional Catholics don't forget.
And we are tired of hearing 10 year olds whine about sombreros.
>>
>>8612803
>a rich Australian white girl putting on a southern accent
if she was rich the family would live in Byron, not next door
>>
>this thread unironically got over 100 replies from 50 different users

I thought people that read books were supposed to be smart or something.

Guess I'll just stick to r9k

sage
>>
>>8614595
>Claims he's better than /lit/
>browses arcanine and puts sage in body
Pick one, robot
>>
>>8614605
>Claims he's better than /lit/

quote where I claimed that

im waiting
>>
>>8614607
im·pli·ca·tion
ˌimpləˈkāSH(ə)n/
noun
the conclusion that can be drawn from something, although it is not explicitly stated.
"the implication is that no one person at the bank is responsible"
synonyms: suggestion, insinuation, innuendo, hint, intimation, imputation
"he was smarting at their implication"
the action or state of being involved in something.
"our implication in the problems"
synonyms: incrimination, involvement, connection, entanglement, association; datedinculpation
"his implication in the murder case"
>>
File: 1375623570516.jpg (21KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
1375623570516.jpg
21KB, 432x288px
>cultural appropriation
>culture is property
>white people cannot use the property of other ethnicities
>However, other ethnicities use stuff invented by white people all the time and this is completely fine and not appropriation, and is seen as simply "universal", such as the institution of the University, liberal democracy, the rule of law, Montesquieu's division of government power et.al
>>
>>8614632
>no quote

/lit/ fucking obliterated holy shit lmao
>>
>>8611629
There is no need to define a line, because cultural appropriation isn't bad. However, this doesn't mean you should actually become a member of an inferior culture, only use it sometimes.
>>
>>8611629
>>8614638
"Cultural Appropriation" should be called "The Hipster's Lament"
It boils down to, essentially, 'don't you DARE make what I like mainstream!'
>>
File: trinity.jpg (310KB, 1280x839px) Image search: [Google]
trinity.jpg
310KB, 1280x839px
>>8611629
What if a writer chooses a subject which affects a culture but has gone largely unnoticed; save by seldom few of their own people and wants to bring further attention to a problem facing that culture but is largely unnoticed by the majority because they have that social web/influence?
>>
>>8614647
>robot comes in from arcanine
>doesn't understand how English works
Protip: /r9k/ is a containment board.
>>
>>8612803
>>8613933
I was talking about things which must be earned within a culture. These things of necessity have a governing body. Don't wear a purple heart or a war bonnet or mormon temple garments unless you want to offend. There may be circumstances where offending is merited.
>>
>>8614195
See
>>8615087
>>
>>8612022
ROCK'N'ROLL BEBE!
>>
It's acceptable for writers to write whatever the fuck they want so long as it doesn't tread into libel/slander.
>>
>>8612809
the kind of people who care about cultural appropriation have no human decency and we should take every opportunity we have to wage war against them
>>
>>8615087
You are confusing 'organizations' with 'cultures'.
Can anyone call themselves a Catholic priest?
No - priests are part of an organization that regulates this behavior.
Can anyone put a picture of Mary on their wall?
Of course.
I get that you are talking about actions that can (and do) offend people in an unacceptable way
>As a Catholic I almost never see my faith accurately depicted on screen and sometimes it gets to bigotry
But we aren't talking about someone claiming to be a war chief we are talking about them using the symbols.
You ready to ban Madonna's video for 'like a prayer'? Ban 'piss Christ'?
>>
>>8615209
Organizations are often part of cultures. I wouldn't ban piss on Christ even though I do not necessarily believe it made the world a better place. I also would not ban war bonnets. I am not defending what anyone else says about cultural appropriation I am proposing a distinction that I think describes when cultural appropriation passes from normal and necessary into being offensive. Also as I said before I don't think avoiding being offensive is always the greatest priority.
>>
>>8613247
Everyone acknowledges that different groups of black Africans have their own distinct cultures though. That isn't the point.

The point is that it's "rayciss" to celebrate the diversity of white cultures.
>>
>>8611639
Fpbp
>>
>>8612022
>people have an over simplified view of something that doesn't exist
your whole argument falls apart because for some reason you think culture is something that can be owned.
>>
/lit/ confirmed cuck
>>
Holy shit. I left for a while and I come back to people still saying that native american symbols can't be used by white chicks? Fuck- I'm navajo, part of the native tribe that helped americans in fucking WWII, and you're gonna ignore when I tell you, it's fucking OK. Nobody except butt hurt, money scrounging, drunks and oppression whores cares if they wear a headdress. why? Because we don't even wear them except at pow wows. When people outside of our culture wear that, it's a good thing because it means that there are people who like the shit we like.
>>
>>8615456
I'm glad you feel that way. Some people don't and I probably won't do it in front of them for the same reason I will swear with my friends but not my grandmother.
>>
>>8615456
Genuine question. How do you feel about the redskins?
>>
>>8611629
this is getting pathetic

shut the fuck up
>>
>>8611629
There is no such thing as cultural appropriation
its not recommended unless that culture is dead or your readers are morons. it all depends on how worldly the writer is(like many other things), I have seen far too many shitty housewife YAs with crappy understanding of Russian, blacks or basically anything.
>>
>>8615519
I don't really care. It's a mascot. You don't see people complaining about the cowboys being a racist white mascot against the original mexican cowbooys do you? Again, the only people complaining about the redskins are people who are opression whores who want money from the US government for slavery and oppression that NEVER happened to them.
>>
>>8615519
Never once have I been given a smallpox blanket. Never once has someone told me shit for being native EXCEPT- and you're gonna like this- other natives. The only people being shitty to natives are other natives. The US has been so generous to the recent generations that now these fat, drunk, drugged up fucks think they are entitled to shit because MUH OPRESHUN. It's a real shame. So when I see white folk wearing my people's clothing it's kind of cool- it's like seeing a knight in armour who's navajo. Pretty interesting.
>>
>>8615456
I could be wrong but there also don't seem to be any universal native american symbols, only Hollywood craft
>>
>>8615606
No. Feather headdress started in the east (i think) and spread out through nomadic people like navajos down a little to the southwest. However not everyone wears headdresses but they usually do. An example of natives not using headresses would be using masks or face paint. Also, some of these things are used together depending on the tastes of the tribe. Headdresses don't usually look alike. I've seen people far north wearing them as well though. Also, alabaskin (there are different spellings for that) people tend to wear kimono like clothing where as non-As usually wear animal skins or wrappings. There aren't universal stuff but yeah... Also As can usually understand each other to some degree because the language came from the east.
>>
>>8614276
>zero replies
cucks on suicide watch
>>
Oops I meant the language came from Asia. My bad.
>>
File: Navajo Guy.jpg (12KB, 182x277px) Image search: [Google]
Navajo Guy.jpg
12KB, 182x277px
>>8615606
Here ya go:
>>
File: Stream Dancer.jpg (18KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Stream Dancer.jpg
18KB, 275x183px
>>8615606
And also:
>>
>>8615631
Here's your reply. That was not worth replying to.

Sage
>>
File: Oh Noes!.jpg (166KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Oh Noes!.jpg
166KB, 1080x720px
>>8615685
Here's me wearing a headdress while in normal american clothing. (The white hair is actually part of the headdress)
>>
>>8612902
>i have basic empathy akin to human decency everyone should have but you should kill yourself :^)

real model of love and caring here, folks
>>
>>8615606
My headdress is pretty much a beanie hat so I like to wear it on cold days. Supposedly, I am a cactus god while wearing it. I don't really give much of a fuck though.
>>
>>8615630
yeah that is what I was saying.
>>8615675
>>8615685
To phrase it better, I would say that average persons vision of native Americans is as detached from reality as is there vision of a cowboy.or in other words, only tenuously connected to reality(like you often see with romans).
>>
>>8615704
you look cute
>>
>>8614663
They could just give a boost to the unnoticed voice. The main question is 1.is writer knowledgeable about it 2.are they being objective or just taking whatever is fed to them by the culture. fanboy books have become iconic but they are not very long lived and are usually counted as a mark against the author
>>
>>8614638
>insert some bullshit about oppression + power
>>
>>8615737
Eh. Everyone has their ideal of what a certain culture should be. When I think of German I think of sexy tall blonde guys and hot women, and that's not all that true~ Everyone has their ideals of a culture- doesn't make it wrong. Every stereotype comes from somewhere. I'll start being upset when people call natives drunks when natives get off their asses, get jobs, and stop bitching about the government that keeps them from starving.
>>
>>8615746
Thank you.
>>
Anyone got any thoughts on pigeon English and how "appropriation" sometimes helps mix 2 cultures, keeps 1 relevant or helps get a foot in for cultural conversion? I saw few posts about it but no conversation to slide into organically.
>>
>>8614014
Christians are literally being burned alive and beheaded in the middle east right now. In many places Japanese are a dominant social group too, and in zero places Japanese are being enslaved.
>>
>>8615789
In the US, culture is a mixing pot. There are plenty of people nowadays who want to keep their culture separate but in doing so they're only damaging themselves with lower education and communication skills. Mixing your cultures into each other is essential. American clothing is much better at keeping the body warm than say, draped cloth. Washing hands and getting vaccines is SO much better than dying early through contact. Seeing a doctor rather than a shaman is key to a long life. Never trust "medicine men", Also a great example is WWII, the navajo language was used by US forces to keep the Japanese from listening in on their messages. Mixing cultures was needed to protect our home. Coded Navajo was used.
>>
>>8615789
Pidgins and creoles are how language often develops and both modern English itself and ancient early German are hypothosised to be developed out of creoles.
>>
>>8615838
In short, without American help most of us Navajo would be dead from disease, famine, child birth, et cetera. We needed to join in with the Americans to save everyone. (many native peoples hate navajos for this- especially the pueblo peoples)
>>
>>8615838
Im talking about natural mixing, not the forced kind there is in US. also US says its a mixing pot but there is distinct USnes to everything there (at least there used to be) also you are mixing up culture with technological advancement. simple cultural things would be the difference between toilet paper and washing your ass, circumcision and no circumcision. you can still have doctors but now allow property rights to some people or have some less harmful quirks
>>
>>8615857
yes. so if we had none of that, we would not have modern English.artificially changed languages take longer to go among people and you still need "inspiration" from other languages to make the change. how far would things go if everyone kept screaming cultural appropriation
>>
>>8611629
>Cultural appropriation

Liberal buzzword cancer
>>
>>8615879
>now
not
>>
>>8615879
That i natural stuff. No one is making natives get vaccines- i just don't want to die early. If it was forced we'd be talking about boarding schools- but even then, many of the students taken to boarding schools wanted to remain civilised because eating tree nuts with dirty hands is less appealing than eating a butchered cow.
>>
>>8615892
Again, the fact that language changes when two cultures meet isn't cultural appropriation. White americans mockingly using ebonics, middle class londoners adopting cockney, trustfunders using jamaican patois with their weed, would be better examples of CA.
>>
>>8615879
Also, technical advancement IS a culture thing. the europeans had gun powder and we were still using atlatls and arrows.That says a lot about how much and how little we progressed with our tech.
>>
I don't think it's wrong, since the overlapping and exchange of culture is an inevitable part of humans socializing, but I do think it's important to be mindful and try to avoid creating misconceptions that would be detrimental for those of the originating culture. Just don't be a dick and check yourself before you wreck yourself.
>>
>>8615924
>White americans mockingly using ebonics, middle class londoners adopting cockney, trustfunders using jamaican patois with their weed, would be better examples of CA.
is it bad? I have seen some black people do that when they tried rastafarianism, they even called real world babel and said all the other stuff only to fall out of it, see that their roots maybe elsewhere and go back to talking regular English. its hard to measure when its done as exploration and when its mockingly. I also feel like there are not so many assholes in the world who would put so much effort into being mocking
>>
>>8615924
Natives used to mock the spanish word for money, "peso" until it became a word that we use, "beso". so was that appropriation in your eyes? Or was it "natural"?
>>
>>8615950
so did the Chinese, construction was also discovered independently in many cultures and you can see the difference in thinking when looking at the buildings
>>
>>8611629
>incorporate aspects of cultures outside of their own into their writing?

Depends.

We postmodern noaw, so man doesn't really have a culture of his own. It's all the flipping machinations of uncountable and unidentifiable systems etc.

Another culture thereby can be treated in three ways:
>ooo, savages
>whelp, they are better at fighting aren't they?
>Oh shit, other humans, wait - they're kinda struggling with the same things we are...

IDK.

Obviously I'm pretty oblivious to non-english literature.
I read a bit of American stuff, but I count that as english since it's kinda written in English.

tt
>>
>>8615960
Whether it is wrong is really down to the people that do it and the people who have it done to them. Which is where the "cultural appropriation doesn't exist" people get it wrong. Some people don't like 'their' culture being appropriated so it exists for them and it is wrong to them. They may not own their culture, or it would be called "cultural theft", but it is often essential to their sense of self, far more than Faulkner and cowboy hats are to americans or sauerkraut and Beethoven are to a german.
>>
>>8615971
Yeah, we were a bit stagnant on the construction stuff~ the south americans were doing better. For the most part we were more worried about following the food source and being nomads- you know- the same stuff we'd been doing since before crossing the Bering Strait? The pueblo people build some other stuff but it was less on the level of intellectual stimulation and more on necessity.
>>
File: 9780552573740.jpg (300KB, 1500x2305px) Image search: [Google]
9780552573740.jpg
300KB, 1500x2305px
>>8616018
>Whether it is wrong is really down to the people that do it and the people who have it done to them.
so its arbitrary. What would you do with this book?
>>
>>8616041
>No one expects a princess to be brutal. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

>Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.

>But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.
>>
btw, food for thought: one of the reasons the french were allied with natives in early US history was because the french dressed in native clothing and attempted to speak native languages even though there were native who hated it. To this day there are native-french people whose languages are a mixture and who aren't either white or native but are their own sort of people. Mexicans were a mix of Spaniards and Native Americans whose mix of culture created a new people. neither the spanish nor natives wanted the mix but it just so happened~
>>
>>8616041
Not having a definitive definition that everyone agrees on its not the same as arbitrary. As for the book, I would read it, I suppose. No idea what your point is but acknowledging cultural appropriation doesn't mean I want anything banned.
>>
>>8616067
Yes, race-mixing exists. Now let's examine the end result of that race-mixing...
>>
>>8616020
Those cliff cities are crazy cool though.
>>
>>8616067
kind of side note but how many of you give a flying fuck about japan? if it had not been for weeaboo's some countries would have a lot less pull.
>>
>>8616083
You're damn right they were. When you're that high up, they're great places to defend from neighbouring enemies. Kind of like castles. I love castles! ^ ^
>>
>>8616078
>acknowledging cultural appropriation doesn't
so you just make everyone feel shitty and do nothing?
>Not having a definitive definition that everyone agrees on its not the same as arbitrary.
it is arbitrary because different people will feel different and for some it will be appropriation and for others it won't but negative connotation will do its damage. also let as not forget all the high school people clashing with each other trying to hunt down appropriation and be judgmental/hostile over hairstyles
>>
>>8616087
I love that they're pretty much the closest thing to a truly alien culture we have left, how they've been so consistently weird their entire history. Heian period's the best.
>>
>>8616102
That's not what arbitrary means. The fact that people react differently to different music doesn't mean their tastes are all arbitrary, it means their tastes developed in different ways.

>so you just make everyone feel shitty and do nothing?
Acknowledging it exists I meant. I don't call anyone out for cultural appropriation. If you feel shitty that your culture is being mocked and misused by others then you should have the right to speak out about it and perhaps make them feel shitty.
>>
>>8613936
>Getting mad at this boob window

What the fuck is even going on on this planet
>>
>>8616087
I learned Japanese because since I'm navajo. WWII is an important turning point in how we see americans and how americans see us. I can understand Japanese pretty well and I read books and newspapers from there. Since WWII, we kind of see them as another war tribe like ours that simply didn't have the moxi. Navajos are a war tribe btw. If anything, many of us simply see them as the ones who lost yet another war with us. We are more annoyed with the Isleta and other tribes than anything. Plus the Japanese don't look like they want to start anything with us again. Then again, no one who's lived through a war with us do. Except the Isleta. They're just fat, stupid, and still butt hurt about the thousand year war we unleashed on them before the europeans came to rescue their asses. They should love the spanish now yet they're still butt hurt over that too.
>>
>>8615836
my basement disproves your japanese argument.
>>
File: 2016-06-27T12-12-35-6Z--1280x720.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-27T12-12-35-6Z--1280x720.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
>>8616130
>That's not what arbitrary means. The fact that people react differently to different music doesn't mean their tastes are all arbitrary, it means their tastes developed in different ways.
its arbitrary when people apply one set of rules to something but not another similar thing. you can't police the world with feelings and that is the kind of thinking that leads to people calling this poster racist
>>
>>8616130
>your culture
and sometimes its not even their culture
>>
>>8616142
>They're just fat, stupid, and still butt hurt
That's racist ;)
>>
File: HARAM2.jpg (1MB, 2016x3344px) Image search: [Google]
HARAM2.jpg
1MB, 2016x3344px
>>8612809

Saalam Aleycum

Women who are immodest are offensive to Islam. Women like in the picture should wear Hi'Jab in order to be empathetic and show decency to our faith. When woman wears too few clothes like this, it's really offensive!

Right, there is no law against it, but should she really proceed in such a way? Musalems must be tolerated and made to feel welcome in the great country of America. Put on a Bur'Qa and cover bare shoulders inshallah.

Also not so much eating drinking during Ramadan month please!

Masalama!
>>
>>8616208
It is. Like I said, native americans don't like other native americans. ( > w < )
>>
It's a simple thing. Generally it's easier to write about your own "cultural sphere" than about others. There is a greater likelyhood of writing shit when you move out of that zone though some writers can only do that and not write about their own culture.

What matters is if it is written good. If a writer writes good he can write about eating diarrhea for all i care.
>>
>>8612022
complaining about cultural appropriation means denying the agency of people from other cultures.

& anyways, where does legitimate appreciation end and shameful appropriation begin?
>>
File: for-public-purity.jpg (104KB, 1030x587px) Image search: [Google]
for-public-purity.jpg
104KB, 1030x587px
>>8616215
there is no war in ba sing se
>>
File: Navajo Dress.jpg (41KB, 318x480px) Image search: [Google]
Navajo Dress.jpg
41KB, 318x480px
A navajo dress
>>
>>8616222
yeah like I said its about how wordy someone is, it could be that you don't know jack even about your own culture
>>
File: Japanese Dress.jpg (69KB, 550x723px) Image search: [Google]
Japanese Dress.jpg
69KB, 550x723px
A Japanese Dress
>>
>>8616245
looks both warm and cold. ever tried it?
>>
>>8616232
>complaining about cultural appropriation means denying the agency of people from other cultures.
No it doesn't
>>
>>8616252
mostly for nobles. it has low mobility so you would not get much work done in it
>>
After a few thousand years not much is different, except that japanese yukata are more colourful and navajo dresses have more jewelry and wrappings. You'd think an ice age of separation would change things buuut... nah!
>>
>>8616253
They're thick but cool. Great for desert heat but also for warmth in other times of the year. The feet wrappings are not as nice as american shoes though. Plus you can't run much in it, it's made to look fancy not for say, herding sheep.
>>
>>8616260
Yes, so is the Navajo one.
>>
>>8616262
>ice age of separation
wut? you do know that travel still exited, ancient romans visited china and basically everyone visited everyone. it was not often but it happened. There are even stories (did not look up if its true) of exiled japans nobles restarted their lives in south america,centuries ago.
>>
>>8616232
>where does legitimate appreciation end and shameful appropriation begin?
It begins when white people do it
>>
File: corn-7.jpg (44KB, 479x316px) Image search: [Google]
corn-7.jpg
44KB, 479x316px
>>8616280
kek. sad because its true
>>
>>8616278
The Japanese to south america was true (the used Junks and the south americans have some language mixed with Japanese) but the navajos and the Japanese didn't make contact again until WWII. At that point the navajos were too pissed off about pearl harbour to care about old ties.
>>
All I know is that white women are increasingly getting their hair braided which is starting to obstruct black people's vision and that makes me so mad!
>>
>>8616319
>obstruct black people's vision
vision of what? I think people are just making shit up to start shit. like with pumpkin spice lattes
>>
>>8616287
That guy looks handsome.
>>
>>8615704

qtpie
>>
>>8616327
look at the pic stupid
>>
File: corn-24.jpg (34KB, 367x487px) Image search: [Google]
corn-24.jpg
34KB, 367x487px
>>8616330
well he was on a list of people followed by text
>If you are thinking of doing this and you are not black, please reconsider. For yourself and your friends who will have to lie when you ask them "how does it look?".
It looks like crap!Don't do it.
>>
>>8616358
Thnx
>>
>>8616360
her line of sight is elsewhere. also its deliberate to cover up the expression, I mean at what speeds and under what wind would a person need to be for braided hair to fly like that
>>
>>8616364
>It looks like crap!Don't do it.
was part of the text. This is what I mean by subjective outlook being made into cultural policy
>>
I like Mohawks. The people and the hair style. Again, a tribal thing. It looks really good on fit white men- I don't know why.
>>
>>8616389
punk Mohawks?
>>
>>8612697
if your writing isn't shit someone who is more familiar than you with the culture won't shit on it
>>
>>8616405
nice!
>>
>>8616413
They won't enjoy it. They will keep sliding out of the story, its the same when you have a specialist and a writer tires to add their job to the story and fucks it up, it takes you out even more if the whole plot hinges on for example a court room scenario that would never happen. its easier in tv shows since they move fast but it gets stuck in a book, especially if others bring it up from time to time
>>
>>8612022
>The minority culture has likely been suppressed and regarded as inferior but then what they have worked hard to preserve is stolen and claimed by others.
Here's a fun thought experiment: Everyone gets exactly what they deserve.
>>
>>8616447
It's funny when the only people calling these "minority cultures" "inferior" are the SJWs. They blame other people for shit that they say. If you wanna get rid of the inferiority and superiority shit, all you have to do is not say that something is regarded or is, inferior or superior. The only people telling natives that we're inferior are SJWs. No one has ever told me I'm a part of something inferior except SJWs and Feminists who say, "everyone else thinks you're inferior". To me, the people making trouble are the ones who keep talking about shit that was done with after the equal pay act of 1963 and the people who want my people to hate whites.
>>
Dear SJWs.
We don't want you're help.
People should be allowed to write about whatever they damn well please to. Stop telling people not to like or use each other's cultures because all you're doing is building a wall that will make it harder for people to understand each other. The best way to understand another culture is to put yourself in it. Otherwise you'll always be sitting on the wall, only guessing about the people talking to each other in the distance.
>>
>>8616499
congratulations on missing the point of the thread
>>
>>8616481
yep a lot of their methods of fighting are mindsets from previous century. from the Marxist/cult methodology to sins of the father and other outdated ideas. That is how you end up with black students asking for segregation and white people who when mugged blaming colonialism instead of the mugger
>>
>>8616499
They don't care, they want power and if anyone from the groups they are "fighting for" speaks against them then it means they are brainwashed or confused
>>
>>8611629
Cultural appropriation is bullshit. Culture spreads by being adopted by people outside of the culture. That's how it has always been and nobody "owns" culture.

If you describe a culture badly because of lack of knowledge about it, then that's bad writing though. Only write about things you actually know.
>>
>>8615704
>gril or guy
this is a confusing time to be alive
>>
>>8616561
>Only write about things you actually know.
and even then measure it out so it does not devour the story, I have seen to many physicists get obsessed with unrelated minutia
>>
>>8616571
>implying you would not, regardless of the answer
>>
>>8616571
Girl.
>>
>>8615595
>Never once has someone told me shit for being native EXCEPT- and you're gonna like this- other natives.
That's not surprising at all. I'm not native, I'm Puerto Rican, but I've dealt with FAR more racism from other minorities (especially other Hispanics) than white people. I hang out with a fairly liberal (white) crowd, and it's funny how offended they get when they get into BLM and oppression and shit and I let them know that minorities are keeping minorities down. Well it's not funny. They tend to get pissed off at me.
>>
>>8615630
>Feather headdress started in the east (i think) and spread out through nomadic people like navajos down a little to the southwest.
Wait. Were tribes misappropriating the cultures of other tribes?
>>
>>8616658
Yeah, also, Indians would kill white settlers and take their slaves- keeping them as slaves even though that kind of slavery was new to them. Warriors especially, but you don't see anyone talking about it.
>>
>>8616652
>They tend to get pissed off at me.
tell them to check their privilege
>>
As an Hispanic man who loves Wagner, Milton, and Yasujirō Ozu, the notion that I can't use elements of their works in my writings is fucking laughable.
>>
>>8616685
Good thing that no one said you couldn't.
>>
>>8616695
really, so if I was a German(or even just some rando) saying that his remixing is is an insult to my culture, would not that count as CA?
>>
>>8616695
What fundamentally distinguishes that from the cultural appropriation that Westerners often deride? Why is a white girl dressing up as a geisha more worthy of criticism than me dressing up as Carl Emil Doepler's idea of a viking for Halloween?
>>
>>8616705
What does it matter. If you don't like the book, don't read it, wise guy.
>>
>>8616712
Nothing. People are just stupid, that's all. You can dress up as whoever you want for Halloween.
>>
Cultural appropriation, to me, is something that makes copyright infringement worse.

Stealing a singer's song is bad. Stealing a singer's song because he's black, it's the 50s, and you know you can get away with it is worse—especially if you proceed to make shitloads of money off the original singer's work.
>>
>>8616715
>>8616018
>>
>>8616754
Whether or not something is wrong boils down to: "How would you like it if someone did that to you". Not reading a book seems like a good solution if you're going to be offended by that book. Being a dick to the author because you feel upset is no way to treat someone who had no intention of harming you to begin with.
>>
>>8616771
"it does not matter what the intent was, the work is perpetuating social problems and is a bad influence on people that read it, so me just not reading it won't fix anything"
>>
>>8616750
And that's the '50s not now. If someone actually stole another person's song NOW, they can be in a huge legal mess for that. Now is not the '50s.
>>
>>8616778
Then it's settled...
BURN ALL THE BOOKS.
>>
>>8612809
>It's simply about human decency.

It isn't, it's about the white intelligentsia yet again trying to create a moral highground on their opponents and demonize practices associated with laissez faire societies. Did any marxist scholar ever raised a brow when a Femen activist shoved a Latin cross in her vagina in public? Don't think so.
>>
File: Burn Them.jpg (8KB, 258x196px) Image search: [Google]
Burn Them.jpg
8KB, 258x196px
>>
>>8616807
this
>>
File: 1358644498653.jpg (197KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1358644498653.jpg
197KB, 1920x1080px
Wont this always be a problem because the self and the concept of culture is not such a neatly defined thing? How can you ever justify the lines drawn in a culture when trying to judge another for participating in it?

Put it this way, a Japanese person may think I am taking away their culture by being passionate about Japanese history/Anime/Japanese Language/Japanese literature, whereas another Japanese person might not. Which of those two are right? Does it matter, and how do you justify that? Add that I am expressing my passion in an embarrassing way to some degree. Does that matter and do you justify that?

As of right now you don't know my identity (heritage, wealth, gender, etc.), does that matter?

Also this is a good post
>>8611948
>>
>>8612809
As a German I could start quite a fuss about people appropriating my culture. Especially on this board about literature. But I don't because I understand that culture evolves by adopting parts from other cultures. There is nothing immoral about it. I don't own my culture, nobody does, it is public domain, it is free for everyone to take and reshape into other new interesting things, often using it in ways not intended by the original creators.
>>
>>8611703
duh
>>
>>8612809
nothing is necessary you mong

allow not nature more than nature needs man's life's as cheap as beasts B-)
>>
>>8616885
or what of things that have more than 1 origin
>>
>>8616900
>nothing is necessary you mong
desu so hard. Whenever I read a review of a movie/book/tv show and the reviewer is asking "was this really necessary" my jimmies get rustled
>>
File: blacktanthumb.jpg (141KB, 1300x827px) Image search: [Google]
blacktanthumb.jpg
141KB, 1300x827px
>>8612809
>or at least not a lot of people did.
This was seen as appropriation
>>
>cultural appropriation becomes a real thing
>wiggers and coalburners become respectful white people with jobs and a breifcase because that's all they're allowed to be

I want this.
>>
>>8612809
>sacred symbols of other cultures

this quickly descends into some sort of cargo cult mentality in which even the most banal scraps of foreign pop-culture kitsch get made into hallowed totemic objects. It's about catharsis. the only people who give a shit are white bourgeoisie liberals and assimilated second or third generation immigrants who have already internalised the secular protestant bullshit of their peers. little to do with the old left wing revolutionists, instead we get a bleak Calvinist weltanschauung; the world is a horrible place full of sin and you are alone.The best you can hope is being one of the few good ones, the elect. It's even centered around the old New England campuses, founded long ago as divinity schools by the puritans. But now they got no god, no community either, just fetishized commodities. You have to make yourself into a commodity, specially if you are among the 'oppressed' classes. people are counting on you.
>>
Negroes didn't invent cornrows.

Other groups used them as well.
>>
>cultural appropriation

No such thing
>>
>>8611629
Just do what I do: Since, if you're representing a culture or time other than your own in your writing, you will only be able to understand that culture from your own external point of view, then only represent that culture from your own external point of view, but make it known that you are doing this, and parody and lampoon the practice. For a near-perfect example of this in action, read some Southern gothic literature. Faulkner in particular fantastically represented American blacks and Northern whites, even though his representation was external. From languages other than English: Bertolt Brecht wrote a few plays where he represented the Bourgeoisie from the perspective of class-conscious labourers (perhaps unintentionally lampooning that same perspective in the process), and the effect is astounding.
>>
>>8617831
That sounds like faggotry. lampshading/calling yourself out does not make anything better, its just makes you look like modern self deprecatory losers who are trying to numb all criticism by going "yeah, I know"
>>
>>8617223
Negroes didn't invent anything. Am I rite?
Everything was invented by whites.
>>
>>8617904
Don't twist his words
>>
>>8611964

yup
>>
>>8617904

>Everything was invented by whites.

no, but pretty much everything important and groundbreaking was invented by whites
>>
File: Hey Pol.jpg (1MB, 3192x2124px) Image search: [Google]
Hey Pol.jpg
1MB, 3192x2124px
>>8618179
>>
>>8615690
that wasn't the anon that posted it
>>
>>8615306
this
>>
>>8611629

Why would you write literature if you were the sort of person to respect people just for having been born?
>>
>>8611629
This has to be one of the stupidest questions I have ever heard.
>Cultural appropriation
Not a real thing. Mixing of cultures is natural and healthy for societies.
Thread posts: 269
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.