[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Paul Atreides the biggest Mary Sue of all time? >Royalty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: dune.jpg (71KB, 426x638px) Image search: [Google]
dune.jpg
71KB, 426x638px
Is Paul Atreides the biggest Mary Sue of all time?

>Royalty
>Highly intelligent
>Leader of men
>Skilled in the Weirding Way
>A mentat
>Emperor of the Universe
>The Kwisatz Haderach
>Literally Jesus
>>
>>8611523
>literally jesus
>endorses jihad
Shut up you dumb retard. You can call him a messiah, you can call him a savior, but he is certainly not the WORD made flesh. Jesus brought salvation to all, there is no comparison between a fictional religious figure and the Son of the LORD. How dumb are you that you compare a human to the Almighty.
>>
Yes. That's why I hated Dune. Literally god tier main character that can never go wrong.
>>
>>8611552

You know when people say "literally" on the internet they are exaggerating for effect 300% of the time?
>>
>>8611523
>>8611558
t. people who didn't read Dune Messiah

Not that Dune is great by any means, but god damn, people. Also 'Mary Sue' is a pretty irrelevant criticism of literature anyway.
>>
>>8611559
You know when you use the word "exaggeration" any time and any place it implies that there is some sore of correlation between the real thing and the hyperbole? There are exactly zero (0) similarities between the Son of the Most High and Paul. You have literally zero reading comprehension. 300% of 0 is 0 by the way.
>>
>>8611523

Considering I've only read Dune and Messiah I was thinking about this the other day. What if Paul isn't really the main character of Dune or the Atreides themselves? Everything seems to be from the viewpoint of Duncan considering he's brought back as a Ghola quite a few times and the conflict with the Harkonens and Atreides could just simply be a backdrop?
>>
Great timing, I'm currently reading Dune and Paul alone is the worst part of it.
Also, the Harkonnens are cartoonish
>>
>>8611631

Try watching the 1980's movie for some real cartoonish supervillainy.
>>
>>8611578
>There are exactly zero (0) similarities between the Son of the Most High and Paul.

I don't know...

>Descendant of Royalty
>King of Kings
>A Messiah
>Magic Powers
>Lived in a Desert
>Religion formed around him
>Comes back to life after being killed
>>
>>8611523
He's literally an antichrist you moron.
The spice is Satan; when he goes out into the desert he accepts its offer of all the kingdoms of the world.
>>
OP: i guess you're right. any aspiring author should have a deep-seated revulsion for their protagonist. like Orson Scott Card with "Ender's Game".
>>
>>8611650
Wow. Just read the Bible you absolute moron. I don't know why I'm wasting my time with an imbeciles like you.
>>
>>8613056
>>8611552
>>8611578
this is bait
>>
>>8611592
read God Emperor (after children, if you must) and that'll become clear.
>>
That's a problem with every fantasy/epic scifi book I read. Nerds always project their ideal "cool guy" onto the pages so even when he has flaws they're dumb mary sue ones like
>"He still bore the scars of a childhood shattered by war. Scars that were not visible, except to those witnessing him writhe in the turmoil of his nightmares."
>>
the whole story is a warning against hero figures
>>
File: HJ2A6dp.jpg (164KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
HJ2A6dp.jpg
164KB, 960x1280px
Go back into your containment board, mmkay? Aww, are you lost wittle plebby? Check the catalog for the thwead.
>>
File: 1359908690226.jpg (36KB, 450x370px) Image search: [Google]
1359908690226.jpg
36KB, 450x370px
>>8611650

>Descendant of Royalty
>King of Kings
There's a definitive difference from being of the line of David and being some space king's son. One is directly related to Abraham and Adam and has the authority of god to rule. The other has the authority of some space emperor, just kidding he has the authority of choam to rule, a mercantile entity. So no similarity there

>A Messiah
Jesus is a Messiah because he came to save. And he does save, he has saved you and me, and everyone else. Who did paul save? The second book makes it very clear that their is significant dissatisfaction with the fremen on their new way of life. He did not bring salvation to anyone, let alone happiness, he brought jihad to the universe, trillions died because of him. Not a messiah.

>magic powers
Paul is magic. God is God. Do not imply that Paul is in anyway comparable to the Lord.

>lived in a desert
paul grew up in a palace on a water world. that is not a desert. a further dissimilarity is that paul grew up in a notable place, galilee was a backwater district not some large town like arakeen or sietch tabor. However, they both spent time in a desert so congrats, your only similarity isnt really a similarity because their situations are not comparable.

>Religion formed around him
the religion predated paul, he merely fulfilled a role. Jesus is the fulfillment of Covenant. While the OC bible and the missonaria protective or whatever it was, was created before paul was even born, Jesus was with god in the beginning, jesus was with god when the covenant was made. Jesus was present throughout God's dialogue with man. So yes, Paul has a religion formed around him. Jesus is religion, Catholicism is a dialogue with god and jesus is an incarnation of that dialoge
>Comes back to life after being killed
Does paul though? You could be referring to two things. Dune-paul doesnt die, the book is literally about how paul didn't die but the baron and emporer think he did.
The next book where paul loses his eyes then goes to the desert. Spoiler- he didn't die idk why you think he died and came back to life.

So 0/0 nice try guy.
>>
>>8613073
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8613089
I like your trolling. When you put up two situations differing by scale, and saying there is no simiarity, there are bound to be replies.

The transparent use of ecclesial language, such as capitaizing GOD in your first post or here using "the Lord" is also a reply factory, as are demands themselves.

And nitpicking masked as substantial arguments is a technique that's so old because it works.

8/10, very good bait, don't expect anything less from /lit/
>>
>>8613101
I like your trolling. Complete lack of reference to the post in question except to criticize correct use of grammar as ecclesial language.

>And nitpicking masked as substantial arguments is a technique that's so old because it works.
It's so good you had to do it yourself.

9/9. Well spooked my property.
>>
>>8611575
ok he criticized Dune not Dune and Dune Messiah but thanks

Also I really loved Dune but to be honest yes, Paul A was a Mary Sue, there was alot that was clumsy about that book. I still loved the planet and the worms though.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.