[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the vogue in literary fiction nowadays? Like postmodernism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: raymundo.jpg (133KB, 620x416px) Image search: [Google]
raymundo.jpg
133KB, 620x416px
What is the vogue in literary fiction nowadays?

Like postmodernism was the vogue in the sixties and seventies, moving onto minimalism in the eighties and nineties (Broad simplification but that's necessary for talking this generally)

What kinds of short stories get published in magazines? What sort of novels?

And note this is a thread about /lit/erary fiction, so no bitching about genre fiction or young adult.
>>
Cultural marxism
>>
>>8611490
This.
Only based Milo can save us.
>>
>>8611447
A partial return to Modernism through metamodernism. New Sincerity, the vapid intellectual sinkhole that it is, lived and died with Infinite Jest, though it retains a small following among what is essentially the literary beats of our time i.e Taipei and his tweet-addled ilk
>>
>>8611522
I'm gonna pioneer neo-modernism, just watch me.
>>
>>8611447
Banal realism and neoliberal identity politics mostly.
>>
>>8611529
I'm up for this t b h

Round 2?
>>
>>8611613
>Banal realism
So basically the same as it was in the 80s/90s with minimalism (since "minimalism" is basically banal realism)?
>>
The primary question that should be asked is what kinds of problems does the modern individual face and how do you address them in format that is all but irrelevant to the majority of people in the modern world.

Personally, if I had to guess what style might catch on I would say it would be one that emphasizes both the abundance of data and lack of context by which to organize that knowledge. This interplay between the desire for scientific certainty and the increasing difficulty of evaluating an ever expanding interconnected world.

We live in times that are ruthlessly sardonic and hopelessly abstracted.

If forced to come up with a name, maybe abstract Surrealism or neo-absurdism, techno-absurdism, Cyber-existentialism.

I don't know honestly. I could also see Luddites making a return.

The only thing I can say for certain is that the current means of expression and dominant literary trends are hopelesely ineffective at describing the modern world.
>>
>>8611661
>I could also see Luddites making a return.

> I could also see Luddites making a return.

I think there's a lot of appeal to reactionary (or neoreactionary) philosophy tbqh.
>>
>>8611522
New Sincerity is not and has never been a literary movement and if it were Infinite Jest would have nothing to do with it
>>
>>8611661
Isn't this basically postmodernism? What has the internet done other than intensify the problems wrought by mass media, psychic and cultural fragmentation, etc.?
>>
Literary magazines are still a thing?
>>
>>8611447
Thanks OP for using the same Raymond Carver pic that I used to start a thread a couple days ago.

I am going to write a short story about whether or not I should feel uncomfortable with my transgender coworker.
>>
>>8612633
Make sure to come very close to having an opinion, but abandoning it in favor of ignoring the issue completely. Willful negligence is the best course of action in all cases
>>
>>8612704
ignorance, not negligence, whoops
>>
quirky inter-generational magical realism
>>
>>8612704
You think I should leave my opinion up in the air?

I mean I honestly don't have a strong opinion regarding it. I just think it's weird.
>>
>>8611507
God bless Milo
>>
File: 21356543.jpg (128KB, 571x797px) Image search: [Google]
21356543.jpg
128KB, 571x797px
The new and Improved Romie Futch
>>
>>8611447
publishing greentext and assorted shitposting from 4chan
>>
>>8612759
Upvoted
>>
>>8611507
>>8612727
look at this
>>
>>8612620
Post modernism is all encompassing by design. It is the notion that all methods of expression are essentially valid because no one can know for certain anything at all.

Some today may agree with that general notion but post modernism is not descriptive enough to be an actual style. It is instead simply the bin into which all that does not fit anywhere else is put.

I'm attempting to be more descriptive than what I view as a general catch all in the term post modernism. And I do indeed think the internet is a game changer for the human experience because everyone living today walks around with an extension to their memory in the form of a direct line to all the world's histories at the swipe of a finger.

"The discovery of the alphabet will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves...You give your disciples not truth but only the semblance of truth; they will be heroes of many things, and will have learned nothing; they will appear omniscient and will generally know nothing."

I think that passage from Phaedrus perfectly encapsulates what the cell phone connected to the internet does for the human brain. The weight of an endless dictionary, a library of infinite histories and a main line into the consciousness of our age are all carried in slab smaller than a pulp novel in nearly every man's pocket today.

How could that NOT have a profound impact on what it means to be human?
>>
>>8611447
Ethnic diversity.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.