[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you're not a neet, how do you get time for reading books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 7

If you're not a neet, how do you get time for reading books? What activities do you sacrifize instead of reading?
>>
Stirnerist NEETism is the only literary life in the postmodern era.
>>
>>8610614
I don't watch tv
>>
I read at work
>>
>>8610618

This. I've also cut down on my shitposting.
>>
>>8610614
Somehow, Sasha look very dignified here. Perhaps it's the absence of that dreadful smirk.

Public transit - that's three hours a day - that's 100-300 pages a day.
>>
>>8610614

TV.
>>
>>8610618
This. I also set a deadline to stop all work at 9:00 PM giving myself protected time for reading.
>>
>>8610614
I don't really play video games or watch TV, so I've got plenty of hours left to read.

I also work from home, so I don't have any kind of commute time. I'll usually read for that hour before work in the morning when many people are travelling to work, for example.
>>
>>8610614

I'm not a NEET since I'm employed but I have a lot of spare time considering I only work about 4-5 days a month and just on call whenever they need me. Sometimes I'm a spare patient so I don't even have to do anything but read on the job.
>>
>>8610638
>100 pages on hour
>on public transit
How can you post such rancid shit on my board
>>
>>8610710
I'm Russian, study in Moscow and live 30km away from the city. I have no car and honestly there are terrible traffic jams on the way even if i had one. So it's train, then subway, totalling 1.5 hours. And 100 pages/hour is a top limit for easy stuff like Nabokov(in Russian) - for english literature I average 50/hour, tops. I don't see how that's unbelievable, I thought it the average reading speed, if not slightly below that.
>>
>>8610614
CUTE
>>
>>8610614
You do things you like in your spare time. What's so hard to grasp about that?
>>
File: RR.jpg (16KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
RR.jpg
16KB, 225x225px
I don't watch much tv.
No good vidya out atm.
Can put away 100 pages in 2-3 hours, easy.
Not hard, bro.
>>
>>8610730
100 pages is ridiculous, unless you're reading a children's book with lots of pictures.
>>
I've completely stripped dining, social activities, exercise, and fun.
>>
>>8610614
>The Juliette Society
So she wrote some de Sade fanwank? Is it any good?
>>
>>8610730
>I'm Russian and full of shit, nothing hard to believe about that.

ftfy
>>
>>8611357

I'll strip you completely anon ;)
>>
i get home from work at around six
i work out for about forty five minutes, take a shower and make food and normally eat around seven thirtyish
then i fuck about on the internet or watch an episode of whatever show i'm watching and then go to bed to read at nine and read for two hours
then i get drunk as fuck at the weekend
it's fine, there's plenty of time
>>
>>8610730
have you read moscow stations? do you ever get drunk with random train people and bribe the conductor with vodka?
>>
File: 1459695313604.gif (1018KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1459695313604.gif
1018KB, 499x374px
2 hours daily on public transport and I just read when there's no intimidating people because I'm too anxious and autistic?
And when I do I just read around 30 pages since its quite hard to focus with all the outside noises.
>>
read 40 pages a day
watch two eps of anime a day
read two issues of comics a day
watch three movies weekly

manage to do this with relative ease
>>
i read on the train, in waiting rooms, anywhere there's time to kill. i read on my phone. just convenience

i only really read "analog" books when on vacaycay
>>
today I read the first 50 pages of Madame Bovary commuting
I read more outside my house than in my house.
>>
I read instead of studying for my classes
>>
>not a neet
>not living the dream

get it together
>>
>>8610614
She looks indian.
>>
i don't have a social life outside of the workplace so it's easy
also commuting
>>
>>8614091
This except i have time to read on the job XD.
At home I cant help myself but play video games.
Im an addict and know that playing video games is retarded but my already timid status in life plus the supposed multitude of things i COULD be doing just prevent me from doing anything and i turn back to the simple rules video games have.
I do read philosophy and history and unfortunately find most novels to not be challenging enough intellectually except when they reference obscure shit or things i was never interested in and thus know little about.
>>
File: 1469647068811.gif (569KB, 1000x811px) Image search: [Google]
1469647068811.gif
569KB, 1000x811px
>>8610614
I stopped playing video games.

Coincidentally, the last game I bought was No Man's Sky.
>>
>>8614528
>I stopped playing video games.

I wish I could do that. I play like 1hour/day but I just can't get rid of it completely.
>>
File: 1470871511106.jpg (177KB, 708x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1470871511106.jpg
177KB, 708x1417px
>>8614533
No one said you had to quit video games completely; an hour a day's fine, as long as you enjoy it. What games do you play?

Towards the end of my game-playing days, I'd used to read a Borges short while waiting for my warp drive to get me to the next planet; usually I'd have three minutes to read. It was an ethereal experience.

If you really want to quit video games, drop everything and pick up No Man's Sky. In a week's time you'll be using that hour towards something else, like reading.
>>
I get my literature fix through audiobooks. I stock shelves at night in a supermarket so for 5 hours or so I am secluded enough to concentrate on a novel or radio play as the hands do the laboring. Even at home I will continue as I do housework and such,and have fallen asleep to old favorites. With a good reader who gives the characters personality through their voice,it really makes a book come alive.
>>
>>8610614
I just keep a book with me at all times. There's plenty of in-between the other stuff. That, and I watch almost zero tv. The only shows I will ever bother with again are south park, doctor who, it's always sunny, and.. uh.. well.. yeah that's about it. Once those are cancelled I'm probably done with tv.
>>
Work as a bartender a few times a week, and study philosophy which makes me eligble for low-interest loans and state grants. It leaves me plenty of spare time to read.

It's pretty good since I live in a first world country where higher education is free.
>>
>>8614533
Stop pirating games.
>>
How old are you guys? I'm 24 and I feel old
>>
>>8614940
25, and I don't
>>
>>8610614
I commute by train, that's two hours a day I have free. I usually read in the evening as well. I don't know what you're doing that you can't find time to read.
>>
>>8610614

I decided this year that I wanted to prioritize reading, writing, and self-reflection. Three days a week and Sundays, I took a position that's from the early afternoon to 10 PM at night which pays decently, has good benefits, and also has downtime in which I can read. I do my social time with friends on Friday evenings and Saturdays, with time for my family on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

This means, during the week, I've got three mornings to myself with no room mates arouns or social obligations that I can give to myself. Wednesdays are an open day where, as my needs vary, I can slot in more work hours, a hike, time-intensive errands, or additional social time.

I am the most satisfied I have ever been in my adult life. Thos schedule is honestly perfect for me. Finished Paradise Lost after a slog last week, read a few plays, am on Meditations (Marcus Aurelius) and starting Brave New World.

Literally all the I had to sacrifice is video games and good riddance.
>>
>>8614975

>shitty typos

I hate this phone.
>>
>>8614940
I'm 21 and just threw out my back for the first time today!
>>
>>8614975
what kind of position?

I want to do the same thing, get a job that will allow me to read

no luck so far
>>
Quit watching TV and playing games. Still can hardly find the time between the one class I'm taking and the small amount of work I do for my father.
I also walk between 5 and 10 miles a day which eats up some time.
>>
>>8610616

care to expand a little on this? havent read anything by that guy, sry
>>
>>8610703
you get paid for taking experimental drugs? just guessin here
>>
>>8614975
Is this post part of the novel you are writing?
>>
File: ontan.png (679KB, 540x786px) Image search: [Google]
ontan.png
679KB, 540x786px
I pretend the characters are my friends, so instead of going out, I spend time with them.
>>
>>8614940
I'm 46 and feel young.
>>
>>8615224
stop lying to yourself gramps
>>
I dont have time to read. I have a demanding job and 3 kids including an infant. I have a daily 2.5 hour commute so i listen to most books. Read at lunch when i can and a little at night just before bed. Maybe 100 pages a week of actual reading. Will get better when the little one gets a bit older.
>>
>>8615390
>I have a daily 2.5 hour commute so i listen to most books
why don't you read them instead dumbass?
>>
Crazy person here. I don't play video games and quitting TV would be very easy, but I can't keep myself from the computer and have way too much free time. It's gotten to the point where I'm basically spending the day reading twitter sized excerpts from random sites. Now I can't really concentrate while reading books. How do I learn do you guys learn to discipline yourselves? Is there anything else I need to do aside from staying off the computer?
>>
>>8615053

I've worked in human services for years now, working with the developmentally disabled for about 5 years. Because I am a well respected personal support staff Within my agency, I've been able to sort through and find a position that suits my needs and clients who are not too stressful. Right now, I work at a residential facility for clients who are just getting on in years and can't really live on their own anymore. It's the best one out of all residential programs I looked at, because a lot of the other ones involve clients with criminal histories

>>8615205

No it's a draft of the blank verse Epic I'm working on about my life with retards.
>>
>>8615425
Jesus fuck, you're almost me. I don't play videogames, watch only some footy on TV, and have recently quit watching anime (I still don't know how I managed do to that, though). I wanted to git gud at math, but haven't made progress so far. Now I read books and tweets.
>>
>>8612234
Did you like it?
>>
I gave up 4chan, but she hasn't given up on me.
>>
>>8615490
same

I hate this website and its worse every single day

It has never stopped getting worse
>>
As a full time student, I find it hard to find time for purely recreational reading. I have a strong work ethic. There is never truly free time. There is always something else I should become more familiar with for one of my classes that I didn't fully devote my mind to at the time of completion. I also have around 3 hours of work every night for my Latin course alone. I really do enjoy the work, and it's always /lit/ af.
>>
>>8615507

>im russian
Stopped reading right there))
>>
>>8615549
"Work ethic"
Sorry about this meme
It's more just a passion for learning shit that many on this board share
>>
>>8615143

Funny you mention that since a lot of people think that but I'm a paid volunteer for med students.
>>
>>8615582
this is terrible bait
(the latin thread, not your post)
>>
>>8615223
Patrician manga image from a patrician manga you got there friend. Mind if I save it?
>>
My free time is either books or vidya, plus some workout few times a week

Really, if you have time to post in this thread, you have time to read a book
>>
>>8615756
Sure senpai. A patrician waifu is all it takes, friendship is a trap of the capitalistic system anyways.
>>
walking and reading at the same damn time (to and fro work), and an hour during lunch, pleb jobs can't make me quit the lit lifestyle.
>>
>>8615395
Because I'm driving you stupid nigger.
>>
>>8615744
how much?
>>
>>8616367

Usually always around £200 or so close to every examination time sometimes a bit more for doing nothing. I can also put my name down for other trials.
>>
>>8610614
>ywn thrust your throbbing gristle into her cosey fanni tutti
>>
When I started reading regularly I began to lost interest in video games and TV. I've also learned to love audiobooks so I can listen to them while I'm working or exercising.
>>
>>8610624
This desu
>>
>>8616517
/mu/ plz leave
>>
>>8611357
But reading is fun !
>>
>>8610616

Stirner wasn't a NEET though.
>>
>>8610614
I don't socialize
Not like I ever did
>>
how much can you guys read per hour?
>>
>>8617156
He was a girls school teacher for a while but after he published TEAIO he was NEET.
>>
>>8610614
It's less to do with your schedule and more to do with your personality. If you're the kind of person who gets shit done, you'll always have time. If you're not, you never will, even full-NEET.

This philosophy applies to basically your entire lifestyle.
>>
>>8614533
I know this feel. I was almost at the point where I exclusively played party games sociallyn(in person) until I found the rabbit hole that is online CCGs (Hearthstone, Deulyst, Shadowvers, etc.). I want my time back
>>
>>8610614
Working 40 hours a week I read about 15 hours a week. More than most of the NEETs on this board for sure.

Just don't bullshit around on the internet after work.
>>
File: 1467642599390.png (100KB, 231x226px) Image search: [Google]
1467642599390.png
100KB, 231x226px
>>8614174
>>
I'm a NEET and I only read about 20 minutes a day. Turns out being the kind of person who doesn't work also means you're the kind of person who wastes all their time doing nothing
>>
>>8617666
That was my experience being NEET during summers in high school/first summer after college.
Working sucks, but at least it's some type of accomplishment. The whole "I'm NEET but taught myself six languages and run mega-marathons" thing is basically bullshit
>>
>>8617735
Yeah accomplishing nothing and having no purpose is not good psychologically. At least we have memes to pretend otherwise though.
>>
>>8614533
I'd recommend the rehab I went to but it shut down. Whatever you do, don't go to the vidya equivalent of AA (OLG-Anon). Like all 12-step programs it's such a waste of fucking time, just a bunch of faggots playing the victim, telling war stories and dwelling in the past instead of moving on with their lives.
>>
>>8617808
>>8614533
Oh wait, you said only 1h/day. I wouldn't worry about it at that point if that's how much you're actually playing. Don't really start getting concerned until you reach 5 hours.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.