[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /lit/ recommend any essential books when it comes to Alchemy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: how to summon satan for dummies.gif (19KB, 671x680px) Image search: [Google]
how to summon satan for dummies.gif
19KB, 671x680px
Can /lit/ recommend any essential books when it comes to Alchemy (or occult) symbols? I'm really interested in designing them myself and if possible have reason behind it.
Thanks
>>
>>8610377
Interested in this as well.
>>
File: Sigil of Astaroth.jpg (405KB, 1368x1372px) Image search: [Google]
Sigil of Astaroth.jpg
405KB, 1368x1372px
The Lemegeton,: The lesser key of Solomon The King is basically the standard introductory text for aspiring Goetic magicians; those who practice the art of conjuring, commanding and abjuring the 72 spirits bound by Solomon under mystical compact.

It is available with a foreword by Aleister Crowley if that's your thing; and contains references for other texts too.

Goetic magic is probably best not taken literally; I study it as a cultural and artistic curiosity, but I do recognise it as a "legitimate" mystical tradition such as it is.

Hell, one night I was carrying my Lemegeton back from an argument with a friend at their house and incanting the an invocation to Astaroth to pass the long quiet walk; some feral kids tried to jump me and I somehow successfully fought a 40-minute running battle against them.

It was all right queer, though my rational brain passes it off as coincidence; maybe something about ritual actions like incantation and prayer have a calming effect that allow a person to compose themself.
>>
>>8610377
Read Psychology and Alchemy by Jung like right now
>>
>>8610907
Here's a spoiler:
Alchemy isn't actually about turning literal lead into literal gold

It's just another esoteric tradition, like Gnosticism or Hermeticism or whatever
>>
>>8610946
That's one modern interpretation of certain alchemy texts. There were plenty of people who thought they could literally turn lead into gold and such other things, which is why a lot of early discoveries on chemistry were derived from alchemical processes and why we can easily interpret most alchemy text as crude chemistry
>>
>>8611026
There are plenty of people who take the Bible literally to this day, I don't see your problem.
>>
>>8611044
The problem is that there's no reason to think most alchemists took alchemy purely as a philosophy, or that the whole of chemistry sprouted from a philosophical movement that coincidentally also gave a lot of insight on the way the material world worked when misinterpreted by literal-minded students
>>
>>8610907
>dressing up as wizards and pretending to shoot lightning at each other?

And this isn't a description of Joyce/Proust/Keats/Pound if they hadn't been sociophobic introvert misfits how?
>>
>>8610946
And why not both.
>>
File: latest.png (888KB, 1280x858px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
888KB, 1280x858px
Banks worldwide HATE him!
CLICK THIS
Watch how he turns LEAD ---> GOLD with ONE simple TRANSMUTATION!
>>
The symbols will make sense when you know what they represent. Start with basic geometry and Plato
>>
>>8610931
Speaking of jung I just picked up the readers edition of the red book at a used book store for like 15 bucks.

OP id suggest anything by e a koetting
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.