[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the hell do so many people vote for ulysses as the best book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Ulysses.jpg (281KB, 965x947px) Image search: [Google]
Ulysses.jpg
281KB, 965x947px
Why the hell do so many people vote for ulysses as the best book on this board when you can't even understand that book without having read a bunch of western cannon books or have to read annotations or a walk through guide, or sparknotes summaries? Like, I doubt many people here have actually read that book, but it's stupid that you can't just read it cover to cover and enjoy it on it's own merit.
>>
>>8610243
3/10
>>
>>8610246
Sorry you hair brained meme shitting lunatic, but I'm actually being serious.
>>
>>8610249
>you can't just read it cover to cover and enjoy it on it's own merit
You are empirically wrong.
>>
File: 1468425013869s.jpg (5KB, 249x217px) Image search: [Google]
1468425013869s.jpg
5KB, 249x217px
>>8610243
This.

Also, the book is about being a cuck. Not worth reading for any serious soul.
>>
>>8610340
You haven't read it have you?
>>
>>8610243
>I should read other stuff so I can read this? Pffffffft. People who do that aren't better than me, they're just tryhards. That's not how books should be anyways, b-baka!

Its literally, like, read other good books so you can get more out of this good book. What the fuck are people complaining about when they make these shit threads? Just take a second to track where your fucking energy is going
>>
While we're on the topic, what do you need to read before Ulysses? I have read Dubliners and am reading Portrait at the moment. I know I will need to read Homer, but what else?
>>
>>8610639
You can read the Odyssey if you want, but Portrait is the most important.
>>
Lit's greatest achievement
>>
>>8610243
What's this book actually... about?

Like, does it have a message?
>>
>>8610639
You don't *need* to read Homer (for it). If you haven't read or don't remember it, Hamlet would serve you more
>>
>>8610690
If by message you mean something like a homily than this book, like the vast majority does not.
>>
>>8610243
It's an overrated book.
>>
Honestly, literature is for the part of the middle class, which has time and education enough to dedicate a proportionate amount to something that they care about.

Do you think that you would pick up the most complex and skilled work in any other field and understand it because your (2d) gf didn't think fucking naruto was impressive?
>>
>>8610243
>you can't even understand that book without having read a bunch of western cannon books

That's completely wrong you fucking idiot.
>>
>>8610690
It's just about the average day-to-day life of the average middle class Irish man.
It's message is that the average day in an average person's life can just be as epic and spectacular of a grand adventure like the Odyssey
you pleb
>>
>>8610889
Pure ideology.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.