[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which translation of the One Thousand and One Nights would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Which translation of the One Thousand and One Nights would you recommend?
>>
The Oxford google translated version, or the Cambridge Wikipedia simple rendition.
>>
>>8608009
Now that's shitty advice if I ever saw one.

Well written review of different translations:
https://www.amazon.com/review/R1DW7PN775BD3H/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1466203897&nodeID=283155&store=books

You've two options for complete translations:
A. New Penguin Classics translation by Lyons/Lyons. Easy to read, accurate, modern language, a bit dull, and with absolutely terrible index and chapter system. Stories are separated by days only, so trying to find one that you look for is absolute pain. Contents actually look like this:
Nights 720 to 739
Nights 740 to 759
B. Burton translation. He was a pervert, so he even embellished naughty parts. Language is arhaic at times and more fluid. The problem is that it's past copyright date, and there are a huge amount of editions of his around. From complete, to abridged, to censored, so finding the right one is as hard as selecting translation.

You can also check abridged ones. The work is absolutely massive, so just reading selected stories is nothing to look past.
>>
>>8608687
I've read the penguin editions. They're probably the best you'll get if you want the full unabridged package. However being unabridged you'll see that some of the stories are almost copy-pasted from each other with different names and locations making reading a chore after a while
>>
File: sam the man.jpg (44KB, 564x381px) Image search: [Google]
sam the man.jpg
44KB, 564x381px
>>8606810
This is an enlightened board, take your sand fairy tales elsewhere.
>>
>>8606810
Richard burton hands down. I wouldn't read any other translation.
I would also read his autobiography or watch a documentary, he lived a fascinating life as a spy, a linguist, mounaineer. he also translated the Kama sutra
>>
>>8606810

Bump for interest been meaning to pick this up for sometime
>>
Learn arabic it's the only way to read it
>>
Husain Haddawy is my favorite translation of it. Check it out.
>>
>>8609844
you're thinking of the Quran
>>
>>8606810
Haddawy is the best English translation.
>>
>>8609844
You are a fucking idiot.

If anything you would read it in French.
>>
>>8606810
Should not be reading those infested sandnigger stories..
>>
>>8610260
does anyone have epubs of the Khawam translation?
>>
Burton unless you're an actual pleb

t. both of my Islamic History professors and an Islamic Philosophy professor (all native speakers of Arabic)
>>
>>8611548
what do you study?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.