[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are some essential, beautiful works in japanese lit? Im

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

what are some essential, beautiful works in japanese lit? Im going to Japan for a week and want something to read. I have pic related already and wanted something else comfy to read.
>>
>>8606541
>japanese
>lit

Yeah nah. Mishima is an extrapolation of European cultural export and Murakami, of American cultural export

The only Asian lit worth it is Persian or Indian, some Chinese classics too.
>>
>>8606541
Silence by Shusaku Endo of course.
>>
>>8606566
That's a great one.

Also get a collection of Ryūnosuke Akutagawa stories/novelettes.

If you read a lot fast, try Eiji Yoshikawa's Taiko or Musashi.
>>
File: Shinji Mug.png (244KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Shinji Mug.png
244KB, 512x512px
>>8606549
>cultures influence each other
>>
Soseki, Dazai, Oe, Endo, Akutagawa, Yoshikawa, there's a bunch for you to choose.

I would recommend a compilation of Akutagawa's stories for comfy reading.
>>
>>8606541

>Abridged

>>8606549

Mishima, to his credit, recognized the problem. He feared the Japanese would become little more than 'American Mercenaries' (that is, consumers). Lo and behold, practically every 'unique' culture on earth is swiftly becoming consumerist at heart - with everything unique about them being a mere veneer to conceal that fact that, ultimately, they are more alike than different.
>>
File: 1473487284731.png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1473487284731.png
102KB, 300x256px
>>8606549
>>
File: IMG_3442.jpg (113KB, 1920x1079px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3442.jpg
113KB, 1920x1079px
>>8606549
>>
Natsume Sōseki and Ryu Murakami are some of my favorites
>>
>>8606574
Hell screen and in a grove are fantastic
>>
>>8606678
Seconding these stories
>>
>>8606549
>>8606581
legit retarded
>>
You should read Kawabata. He won the Nobel. Try Snow Country.
>>
>>8606541
Read The Book of Tea by Kakuzo Okakura.

It's a short introduction to Taoist and Zen thought originally written in English by a bilingual Japanese dude.
>>
>>8606581
Japan resists better than most as they don't value authenticity and thus make everything their own.
>>
Akutagawa's short stories. The first two-thirds of 'The Head That Fell Off' is some of the most beautiful writing I've encountered. Shame more of his stuff isn't in English.
>>
>>8606581
>"civilization gives them no opportunity to live sane healthy lives unless they crush all the most salient and most admirable characteristics of their individuality."
>>
1. Shikibu
2. Kawabata
3. Abe
4. Shōnagon
5. Mishima

IMHO
>>
I recommend The book of tea and Snow country, both recommended previously here, both excellent books.
>>
If you want a good book by Murakami try underground. It's non-fiction.

Also the Tale of the Heike and the Man'youshuu are pretty essential Japanese lit from a historical/cultural standpoint.
>>
The Story of the Stone is my favorite.
>>
>>8608481
That's Chinese...
>>
>>8606581
There is not enough Adderall on Earth to read unabridged Genji.

>>8608464
Are there even decent translations of Manyoshu?

Also OP, Hagakura is pretty good, and Unfettered Mind is a short read and extremely comfy.
>>
>>8606541
The structure of Iki by Kuki Shuzo.

All about Jap aesthetics.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.