[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any adaptations (stage, film, audio, whatever) that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Are there any adaptations (stage, film, audio, whatever) that portray the king's ghost as wicked and cunning, though subtly?

Throughout the play, Hamlet has second guessings on the ghost being malign. Yes, the king is vengeful, but considering the outcome of the play (i.e. everyone dies), I've got doubts that the king's ghost is altogether unwicked (not a word, but really, who cares).

Whether or not my interpretation of the spirit's motives are accute, I'd still like to know if any adaptations that portray the king as wicked exist. All others portray it as frail, defeated, lonesome and distant; which is not altogether bad, the performances are most of the time outstanding.

It's not a matter of right/wrong, but a matter of variation and interpretation, even curiousity. Thoughts, recs?
>>
Shameful self-bump.
>>
>>8606475
Another self bump just in case this 404s or archives before I get an answer.
>>
>>8606410

I don't have an answer to your question OP, but there was an interesting talk show episode that had Orson Welles and a bunch of other great actors on discussing Hamlet, and Orson was of the opinion that the ghost is definitely the hardest role to play in Hamlet, as any subtleties in the performance resonate throughout the play, changing the entire tone of the events that take place.

I can't give you an example of a performance that played with this, but if you were to watch that Orson Welles discussion panel/interview thing I'm sure he'll have mentioned one or two by name
>>
I don't know of any adaptions like that, sorry.

The kind woeful ghost counselor, common in Hamlet and all kinds of other stories these days, wouldn't really fit the Elizabethan idea of a ghost though. A malign entity would be how they would probably have depicted him. To be an unquiet dead and make yourself appear would suggest a lot of rage to defy the grave. Hamlet questions if he is from heaven or hell and things like the ghost crying under the stage suggests hell more than anything.

A lot of depictions show him as vague and ethereal, light on motivation. This is probably to put more of the onus of plot on Hamlet. If Hamlet is just being manipulated by a sneaky ghost it makes his soul searching lot less interesting.
>>
>>8606410
The Ghost has never been depicted as "unwicked' in any material. The whole tragedy is founded on Hamlet's conflicting opinions on the ghost, and from there, all his other indecisive moments.

But a staple of Shakespeare is multiple perspectives. Horatio et al. Hold a protestant perspective and call the Ghost "It". Hamlet dabbles with the idea it really is his father, and is seemingly half-convinced when he intimates to Horatio that the Ghost is from Saint Patrick, the keeper of Purgatory, and therefore the spirit of his father - but after the Cellarage scene he addresses it far more skeptically. Marcellus believes it a devil - and when the Ghost demands Hamlet to "SWEAR", it's left up to the audience whether Hamlet and the Ghost are acting to throw Marcellus or the Ghost is binding Hamlet to a pact.

You can argue that the Ghost is evil, sure - but you'd be undermining the play quite a bit. If you're going to do it, argue from the perspectives of the witnesses.
>>
>>8606568
>You can argue that the Ghost is evil, sure - but you'd be undermining the play quite a bit

What if the ghost is more human than anyone else, or least more hedonistic? That it's revenge was so potent, it was worth the cost of so many lives including his son's?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.