[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to read a book about war for an essay but I'm busy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1468305819907.jpg (55KB, 388x532px) Image search: [Google]
1468305819907.jpg
55KB, 388x532px
I need to read a book about war for an essay but I'm busy reading another book. What are some short books about war?
>>
Yoyur dikc
>>
There was a nice book by an Austrian painter from the 1920s about war, it gets a bit political though.
I think it was called "My Struggle" or something like that.
>>
Remarque and Hemingway are the obvious short ones

But do Junger's Storm and Steel, and focus on the ambiguity of his feelings about war, the exhilaration and "bringing out the best in a man" or being the realest test of moral mettle and spirit

Be sure to get an early version and figure out which English translations use which editions, because it was progressively softened in subsequent editions
>>
>>8606403
thanks, man. I'll check it out.
>>
>>8606336
Anabasis

Thank me later.
>>
The History of the Peloponnesian War
>>
>>8606336
man, the state and war
>>
>>8606336
All Quiet on the Western Front - 250pgs, 3 hr
The Things They Carried - 175pgs , 2 hr
>>
>>8606336
Poilu: The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas, Barrelmaker, 1914-1918
>>
>>8606379
Mein Kampf isn't about war.
>>
>>8606403
Actually it's more like Junger repeatedly revised it to fit the political feelings of the time so it would sell better.
>>
>>8606336
>what's a book about war
GET. OUT.
>>
Zone - Mathias Enard
>>
File: SmedleyButler.jpeg.jpg (166KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SmedleyButler.jpeg.jpg
166KB, 800x1000px
>>8606336

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Is_a_Racket
>>
A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah

Non-fiction account of a child soldier in Africa. A little political, but interesting nonetheless. About 200 pages.
>>
>>8606336
Hemingway's A Farewell To Arms is a relatively quick read despite clocking in at a couple of hundred pages. You can't go wrong.
>>
The Art of War is like less than 50 pages.
>>
>>8609295

Came here to post this.
>>
Johnny Got His Gun
Not only would it be relatively quick, but it's a great book with an uncommon perspective and well-done stream-of-consciousness. Beginning is a bit tedious, to be honest, but other than that it is a pretty remarkable work.

>>8609769
Haven't read it myself, but I think it might be a good choice. The other teachers with remedial English classes where I work use this book with those kids. Knowing the other material they use with them, it's probably a really easy read.
>>
>>8610193
Terrific book. Almost made me cry.

>>8610425
Yeah definitely, it's written pretty okay, but it's good.
>>
>>8606336
Boйнa и миpъ
>>
The Red Badge of Courage is really short.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.