[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that sadness and melancholy are so artistically compelling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 6WDIqTZ.jpg (87KB, 736x1656px) Image search: [Google]
6WDIqTZ.jpg
87KB, 736x1656px
Why is it that sadness and melancholy are so artistically compelling?

When I was younger, I always found it difficult to understand why tragedies were so often held in higher esteem than works which dealt with the more positive end of the emotional spectrum. Even so, I've found myself drawn to exploring tragedy and disaster and grief in my own writing recently, but I still don't understand why these things engage me and society in general so much.

Thoughts? Your own experiences?
>>
>>8606198
tragedy is a lot more interesting to read and talk about
>>
>>8606198
Because life is tragic, and in the highest forms of art we crave life. Melancholy is the permanent state of human existence, whereas happiness or contentment are passing humours.
>>
>>8606256
what a pretentious faggot
>>
>>8606261
It's true. Why do you think a permanent state of bliss can only be obtained by meditation, i.e. sitting motionless and emptying oneself of thoughts?
>>
>>8606267

melancholy is not the by default state you edgy teenager. its anxiety.
>>
>>8606198
I disagree, I think the most beautiful poetry is essentially celebratory. I'm thinking about Stevens and some of Wordsworth. But if you're talking about drama I don't have an answer. Maybe it's because people are miserable and solitary. They want solace and corroboration. Art replaces religion, right?
>>
I think it's just a part of the process. Subconsciously you when you create you start to want to see your character go through trials, so you give them your traits and then they gain your troubles and issues as well.
It's the writer trying to troubleshoot themselves. As you get more experience as a writer, I think you begin to understand that the mystery of whether something bad is going to happen or not is far more interesting than the actual bad things that happen.
Happy stories, even romances, still need a driving conflict and personal desires behind each character. So inevitably it's absolutely necessary that the character face challenges or trials, and usually the inexperienced author will pick trials, and the experienced author may still choose trials.
Thats my take on it
>>
File: F3nbRf8.jpg (828KB, 1920x2857px) Image search: [Google]
F3nbRf8.jpg
828KB, 1920x2857px
>>8606296
>Woodsworth
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.