[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nick Land totally fascinates me, but at the same time his ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

Nick Land totally fascinates me, but at the same time his ideas are pretty wonky. i'm wondering about this guy's academic reputation. do philosophy departments and students take his work seriously?
>>
>>8604822
Most accademic philosophers don't take each other seriously. I mean common there is so much at stake, when you set the premises of a Weltanschauung and promote it, but little can be done do build a somewhat coherent system like maths. One the other hand everyone has his philosophy and works with it in his daily dealings, since nick Land and other philosphers have a significant different daily live, than the average person you could expact there philosphy to be somewhat different and more elaborate(because they have Time). Nick Land is an interesting Contemporary Philosophen, because he is so different from the normal philosophy Phd/Professor and their fifty shades of marxism, which is boring for any somewhat intellectual Person at the end of the day.
>>
>>8604822
Sorry for my automatic correction system messing with the text.
>>
I think some of the Speculative Realists are influenced by him.
>>
>>8604822
No serious contemporary philosophy departments or students take continental philosophy seriously. So no. Man up and read some analytics
>>
>>8604915
seriousness is not a virtue, only gay old farts are serious, the real philosopher is playful
>>
>>8604912
Brassier certainly is.
>>
>>8604822
Academics only like ideas that are not threatening to the status quo.

Land's antihumanist accelerationism isn't really compatible with their interests.
>>
>>8604915
The only worthwhile analytic is Benatar.
>>
>>8604942
I don't think anyone is interested in the idea that we should exterminate humans except for edgelords.
>>
>>8604945
you haven't read too many analytics
>>
>>8604950
People who disagree with the status quo are per definition 'edgelords', so that's a pretty tautological statement.
>>
>>8604958
I've read enough Anglo scum to last me a lifetime
>>
Philosophy is a dead discipline, only useful insofar as it provides cheap stimulus for theory and criticism. Spec. realism and other weird materialisms are its death throes, the last cries of the old man's club before it finally succumbs to the seduction of the object. Cf. Harman's professed admiration for critics and his advocacy for a revival of aesthetics.
>>
File: 1453676372908.jpg (15KB, 405x371px) Image search: [Google]
1453676372908.jpg
15KB, 405x371px
>>8604876
Reading this was like having a small seizure
>>
>>8604965
>People who disagree with the status quo are per definition 'edgelords'

wtf u on about nigga
>>
Academic philosophy is a ghetto.

All the most interesting philosophy is happening everywhere but within academia. It is the philosophy which sets itself against the institution that appears most viable. Institutional philosophy is necessarily compromised, so anyone interested in reaching the limits of human understanding will need to look outside it.

Then, from the Outside, you look back in.

What academic philosophers think of Nick Land tells us more about them than it does Land.
>>
>>8605006
This.
>>
>>8604912
Who are the speculative realists?
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 1000x800px
>>8605006
Made me think
>>
>>8605080
an internet meme
>>
malevolent AI overlords fucking WHEN? i want to eradicate humanity REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>8606004
This unironically to be honest.
>>
>>8606004
>>8606914
that's easy, just become a fucking CEO of an electronics company, you fucking curry shitskin, and I guess you can point the research in that direction

I bet you do hate humanity

you fucking curry shitskin
>>
>>8604876
these blocks of text with bad orthography and grammar every thread al say the same amount . nothing.
>>
>>8604915
>>8604945
>>8604958
>>8604975
>dude, there's such a divide between analytics and continentals dude!
>Like with Wittgenstein!
>>
>>8606954
Wittgenstein is continental.
>>
>>8606935
I don't even need to. There's an armsrace towards AGI going on already and people are willing to cut corners regarding safety to get there first.

Humanity is already on the track towards creating this antihumanist superintelligence and there is no way to stop it. We might as well regard ourselves as if we were already extinct.

Gnon is great.
>>
>>8604822

He's the most interesting philosopher at this moment.

But apparantly some overrated Lacanian is more profound.
Zizek is a fucking joke really.

>my gott, u know, starbucks society and coke zero is how we think

So profound. Only some dumbfuck Vice News informed millennial would consider this anything revolutionary in the field of philosophy.

Land is talking metaphysics again, has a Deleuzian take on the workings of capitalism that's truly mind boggling and he isn't phased by any PC crap, nor leftist pipe dreams that lead to more deaths in the street and societies down the drain.
>>
>>8606963
Where do I start with Land, friend?
>>
>>8604915
Nick Land isn't really continental. that is kind of his pedigree, but it only superficially appears in his philosophy
>>
>>8606966

There's pdf's of Fanged Noumena floating online. And Dark Enlightenment here: http://www.thedarkenlightenment.com/the-dark-enlightenment-by-nick-land/#part4e
>>
>>8606966
his blog for one
here's a good one
www.xenosystems.net/against-orthogonality/
>>
File: 1470187114192.png (22KB, 804x743px) Image search: [Google]
1470187114192.png
22KB, 804x743px
>>8604876
>mfw reading this
>>
>>8605006
>All the most interesting philosophy is happening everywhere but within academia
any other examples of this
>>
>>8608383
bumpu
>>
>>8608383

well, there's neoreaction and the wider dark enlightenment, which includes some of the most novel ideas - and which are completely anathema to academia

many academics on the leading edge are just riffing off of stuff they borrow from here (and I can confirm this from personal acquaintance with both NRx and contacts in academia)

that's not to mention places like China, which has completely different dynamics than Occidental institutions

>but neoreaction isn't philosophy

consider this from a wider historical perspective; NRx has opened a portal through which many interesting - if horrifying - realities will flow

there are still leading currents within academia, but they are being rapidly superseded by amateurs and professionals with blogs and twitter accounts
>>
>Land retweeted an MDE meme
we've finally achieved singularity
>>
>The Dark Enlightenment supplies philosophical underpinnings to the alt-right
dropped
>>
>>8609781
>ctrlf+f "alt"
>1 result

you're the only person in this thread talking about the alt-right
>>
>>8609781
no it doesn't
>>
Can someone fucking explain the dark enlightenment/NRx/Nick Land in retard terms?
>>
>>8609781
if there is something that actually is capable to completely show how incredibly retarded the alt-right is, is the Dark Enlightenment

>>8609842
read >>8607014
and also learn who Moldbug is and check this out, if you're really interested:
http://www.unqualified-reservations.com/
>>
>>8609758
source?
>>
>>8610359
https://twitter.com/Outsideness
>>
>>8610352
>retard terms
>wall of text
thanks
>>
>>8610366
>Nick Land is now just a twitter shitposter
You know, I can think of a few with no academic credentials that I think are more innovative and interesting.
>>
>>8610532

No you can't, bernfag.
>>
>>8610591
I will now shill my favorites without provocation

https://twitter.com/menaquinone4
https://twitter.com/hisperic
https://twitter.com/kantbot2000
https://twitter.com/skunk_squats
>>
>>8610532
Dude just shitposts on twitter, his blog, and probably /pol/ all day while his Chinese waifu supports him. Literally living the dream.
>>
>>8606963
Zizek definitely isn't revolutionary. His films are just entertaining desu
>>
>>8610597

>ebin edgelord meme boastin

Trashed.
>>
>>8606963
Nobody, least of all Zizek, takes Zizek as seriously as you seem to
He rehashes a lot of older Marxist thought for new audiences while also having a sense of humor
Honestly the most telling thing surrounding Zizek is that he can get called out by Chomsky and the like for discussing things in a way that any jackass could explain to a 6 year old. Meanwhile fags on this board can't seem to grasp any of le ideology spooks meme
>>
>>8610352
(1) Moldbug is far more important to neoreaction than Nick Land

(2) 99% of Moldbug's stuff is repurposed from old, semi-obscure sources. It's less novel then it seems (he admits this openly at points). This is a good thing.
>>
>>8610597

>tfw someone shills 3 of your alt twitter accounts on /lit/
>>
>>8610532
>>8610600
he writes fiction and recently did a series of lectures
>>
File: J4MMyvf.png (341KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
J4MMyvf.png
341KB, 540x540px
Ok first of all, let's set something straight.

Land is often 'talked about' on /lit/ due to all the memes of him and the fact that he has an affinity with 4chan (he has written about it before and loves 'kek' etc.) However, nobody seems to have actually read or engages with his thought here. No surprise at all considering this is /lit/; not the highest calibre of discussion but at least it is something and you guys are entertaining.

I'll start by saying that I'm no expert or anything but I am becoming one on his philosophy and might actually write my dissertation on him (if I'm allowed haha).

That being said, please take what I say with a decent sized grain of salt and critically question it.

Firstly, what you have to take into consideration is that Lands thought isn't in a vacuum: he comes from a philosophical lineage of 'werewolves' (as he calls them) = Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Bataille, Artaud, Trakl, Cioran, Deleuze and some other literary figures.

I recommend initially reading his first book "The Thirst for Annihilation: Georges Bataille and Virulent Nihilsm (an essay in atheistic religion)" in order to grasp some basic concepts of his: 'zero', 'exit', de-anthropocentrism, 'collapse', atheistic religion etc etc.

The book is more about him than it is about Bataille and you should probably have read at least a couple of Bataille's works (The Story of the Eye, The Accursed Share, Solar Anus) and of course of course the thinkers Bataille was surrounded and influenced by (Freud, Nietzsche, Marx blah blah)... Back to the greeks meme.

Then I'd suggest picking up his collected essays known as "Fanged Noumena" and reading through them - it is in chronological order which helps to see the trajectory of his thought.

Now that you've grounded yourself in some crazy shit: virulent rabid nihilism, accelerationism, the attack on the human security system, cybercapitalist meltdown, cryptography, geo-trauma, radical anti-humanism etc... then you can move onwards to his politics.

Politically Land has associated himself with neoreaction and write a famous piece called "The Dark Enlightenment" that outlines what his vision and opinions are about politics. These have changed over time since his early philosophy which was thoroughly anti-political, to the point of being critical of any engagement with the political realm at all.

From what I can gather, he thinks that AI will inevitability take over and we are simply waiting for that to happen. Through dizzying and often highly obtuse language, I've managed to figure out that he really longs and wants this to happen - and even thinks it is our fate, something along the lines of: capitalism is the fundamental energy/force or whathaveyou of the cosmos and therefore we are simply meat puppets being stringed along for the ride until our 'human security system' (our bodies) are taken over by a silicon, synthetic representation of intelligence that will be far superior to us in every way possible.
>>
>>8606959
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>8613999
And how is his worldview at all compatible with the neoreactionaries'? Why do they put with him, aside from being losers?
>>
>>8614116
The common enemy (universalism)
>>
>>8609584
>which includes some of the most novel ideas - and which are completely anathema to academia
Postmodernism was supposed to be the same.
>>
>>8613999
What are his arguments against egalitarianism besides the leprechaun copypasta? I've seen it posted many times and it's barely an actual refutation, more of an "I disagree".
>>
>>8614150
It's the plucked cock kind of a refutation. Intended to show the stupidity of what the other party said, not what the other party meant.
>>
>>8614116
I take it that he is a neoreactionay because he has determined that this is the best political ideology in order for AI to become an actual thing and therefore end human civilization. This is as far as I have got. I think he figures that white, nationalistic, reactionary fellows will be the ones pursuing technological advances in the ways the he would like therefore he champions the neoreactionary thought because of this.
>>
>>8614177
What the fuck is wrong with these peoples.
>>
>>8614150
>>8614150
Well I can't speak for him exactly but I'd imagine it would be something like:
He thinks certain races are less smart (IQ) and have evolutionary and genetic advantages. Consider how much shit has come about due to white people, the advances in technology, politics, art etc.. whilst ethopians today aren't that far off from ethiopians 5000 years ago - only that they have benefitted (and equally been screwed over by) from white peoples technology and politics etc.

Also he wouldn't give a shit about 'rights' or whatever bullshit thing that people make up in order to pretend we are better than animals. We aren't. Land is interested in how we are just organic mechanical bodies and nothing more. He is a thorough-going materialist (I don't know how his weird-ass occult metaphysical stuff comes into play though) so he would rationalize that some peoples bodies are simply 'better' either due to their minds & IQ or their physical abilities.

= Anti-egalitarian
>>
>>8604915
>serious
>man up
look at this indoctrinated idiot, look at his allegiance to institutions! his willingness to feed from the cock of dogma! HAhAhAhaHAhahahAHAhahaHAhhahAHAHAHHAAHhAHHAhahaahHHAAHAHAHHahhahHAHAAHHAhAHAaHAHahahhahHAHAHAHAhAhahAHAha
>>
My computer is going to die but I'll check this thread tonight and answer, to the best of my ability, any lingering questions you may have.
>>
>>8614229
>He thinks certain races are less smart (IQ) and have evolutionary and genetic advantages.
Does he specify if the difference is genetic, cultural or the combination of the two?
>>
>>8614177
he doesn't like white nationalism
>>
>>8614251
I think, like any decently smart person, he would say it is both, however he leans more on the genetic/biological side of things. I think he ascribed to a lot of the 'human biodiversity' philosophical thought that isn't very well known or talked about due to the problematic (at least in academia) issues and assertions it makes.

Check out the links below for what he is interested in and influenced by:
http://www.humanbiologicaldiversity.com
https://hbdchick.wordpress.com/category/what-is-human-biodiversity/
>>
>>8604876
Enjoyed this.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.