[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a term to describe the oxymoron feeling of a big expansive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1475595751242.png (142KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
1475595751242.png
142KB, 400x372px
I need a term to describe the oxymoron feeling of a big expansive space and claustrophobia at the same time, for example in an underground cave, where there is a big space but still coupled with that claustrophobic feeling.

Things like "expansive claustrophobia" or "immense claustrophobia" don't work since they can be construed to just mean a strong feeling of claustrophobia, which isn't what I want.

Any ideas?
>>
>>8602446

Agoraphobia can be caused by an expansive space that creates anxiety and a feeling of danger within a person. Doesn't mean specifically claustrophobia, but does include the same type of phobic anxiety.
>>
>>8602452
Agoraphobia means a fear of public spaces or people however, which isn't what I want.
>>
Diffused?
I dunno man, smoke some weed.
>>
>>8602458
"Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder characterized by symptoms of anxiety in situations where the person perceives the environment to be unsafe with no easy way to get away. These situations can include open spaces"
>>
>>8602446
I don't think there's a word for it. Maybe talk about the weight of the rock above the character, that's probably the source of the claustrophobic feeling.
>>
>>8602477
That's a good idea, except I want to talk about the feeling in the abstract. The cave example was just that, an example.
>>
>>8602446

contradictory things require more than a word to describe
>>
>>8602480
Make up your own word, Nabokov. Agoraclaustrophobia; claustragoraphobia?
>>
>>8602485
>>8602471
The problem here is that the word, even though it technically may not mean crowds, is so closely tied to that concept in people's minds it'll be hard to dislodge.

I also dislike using "Agoraclaustrophobia" since the first part, agora, means gathering place, meaning the word would mean a feeling of claustrophobia arising from gathering places, or crowds.
>>
>>8602493
Then learn Ancient Greek, or look up a word that will serve your purpose.

Perhaps something like uranofobia will do? It means fear of the sky, but you can then describe sky as an infinite empty space and so on and so on.
>>
>>8602493
To jump on the "coin your own word" thing, how about upanaclaustrophobia, or upoclaustrophobia? The English word "open" in reference to a wide, open space, comes from the proto-Germanic "upana", which comes from the PIE "upo".
>>
>>8602523
>>8602520
For the time being I've settled for "kenonic claustrophobia", from the Greek “Kenón” which means either 'endless space' or 'empty space', or 'void'.

I originally thought about using kenonophobia, but that would just mean fear of the void, which wasn't what I wanted.

I'm still not 100% satisfied though, so I might go back and think about it some more later, or if anyone else comes up with a better idea I can use that.
>>
Why not just describe it instead of using a long neologism?
>>
taphophobia might work in that instance.
>>
>>8602569
This is what I would do but I think the idea of using a coherent word of your own creation is cool too.
>>
maybe something along the lines of "confined infinity?"
>>
koilophobia, from koilos, the acient greek word for 'hollow'
>>
>>8602635
>>8602446
or maybe something along the lines of "O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams"?
>>
>>8602661
go to bed DFW
>>
I wouldn't use a single word for it as it's a complex feeling. Better to go with the juxtaposed description, like for a sound you could say something like 'a fulminating, screeching silence'
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.