[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Writing an essay for this It's sucking away any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 9781593081232_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg (18KB, 260x405px) Image search: [Google]
9781593081232_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg
18KB, 260x405px
>Writing an essay for this
It's sucking away any enjoyment I have for it
>>
>>8602302
>2016
>he's not a NEET accelerationist trying to ruin the world
SHIGGY
>>
>having to spend a few hours closely reading and thinking about literature ruins your enjoyment
Pro-tip: You didn't actually enjoy it in the first place
>>
>>8602307
Not him, but it depends on the kind of essay, the creativity you're allowed to employ and the proximity to the deadline.

I know I've had a blast writing about HST and Kierkegaard or Burroughs and Spinoza, but I was allowed to be really free from stylistic/contenutistic constrictions while I did it. Having to, I don't know, write 3k words on the frequency and genealogy of slang in the Naked Lunch is a bit less interesting. Writing 5k words on the possibility of Spinoza having read the Sophists via archive/codex inspection, all of it in a scholarly manner with precise notation, is a lot less interesting - to me, at least.
>>
>>8602313
This. I wrote essays I've enjoyed but the prompt for this one just sucks.

In literary works, cruelty often functions as a crucial motivation or a major social or political factor. Select a novel,
play, or epic poem in which acts of cruelty are important to the theme. Then write a well-developed essay analyzing
how cruelty functions in the work as a whole and what the cruelty reveals about the perpetrator and/or victim.
>>
>>8602329
That's pretty easy given the content of this book
>>
>>8602329
I don't know, there may be something interesting you can do with this thing (haven't read it yet, but I get the feeling something like Girard's Violence and the Sacred may be of use) but things like

>write a well-developed essay analyzing
how cruelty functions in the work as a whole

with their obliterating vagueness just make me think the teacher won't like it. Sorry OP, you've been dealt the bland porridge of essay making.
>>
You don't enjoy literature. You're just stupid.
>>
>>8602329

Undermine the prompt from within. Deconstruct the concept of cruelty.
>>
>>8602336
And by the way, do teachers really write something so nondescriptive as "a well developed essay"? What the fuck does it even mean, how did you get to teach anything. Hope you're in high school mate, if this is something you're doing for a degree please cut your teacher's brakes and let him kill him or herself for the sake of your education.
>>
Acts of cruelty color this piece, by God. Focus on what they represent, how they are retaliated, how it drives the book. The crimes against nature, firing mindlessly into the bush, the tribes worshipping Kurtz.... you have so much to work with. The cruelty is so dynamic.
>>
>>8602329
This smells like an AP Lit prompt
>>
Writing essays on literary works generally makes me more interested and enjoy it more. Maybe you're just fucking dumb.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.