[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This book was pretty spooky and a good October read. Why do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: it.jpg (77KB, 300x435px) Image search: [Google]
it.jpg
77KB, 300x435px
This book was pretty spooky and a good October read. Why do you guys hate Stephen King again?

Is it because he's a popular fiction writer?
>>
>>8601728
IT is his only real work with any redeeming literary qualities, so good on you for choosing the right one. The rest is garbage pulp, sorry to say
>>
>>8601732
I've read Pet Sematary as well. Yeah it's pulp, but it's not necessarily bad.
>>
>>8601728
It'd be nice if you stop posting the same thread over and over.

https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S8147625

Please stop shitting up our board.
>>
>>8601753
>June 10th
Yeah that's totally me bruh
>>
>>8601728
These people hate any author ever.

They shit on McCarthy, Eurofags try to descredit Melville, Hemingway is regarded as a baby man.

The main author I see being pushed favorably is Joyce. Maybe because less people read him so they won't be called to answer questions about him, because the probably only talk about reading to feel cultured.

Even Shakespeare is regarded as some false idol that they feel they are forced to respect.

The opinion of /Lit/ fags is the writing of Stephen King.

It just doesn't give a fuck about being any good. But when it do care, it's pretty gud.
>>
>>8601728
I will never understand why a prepubescent orgy is the means to save the day.

Other than that, not bad/10
>>
>>8601728
Edgy contrarianism and a fear of middlebrow pulp
>>
>>8601832
It's the same reason everything else in the book worked, because they believed it would. They were lost, and didn't know what to do, and felt themselves forgetting everything, so to save the day and exit, they believed a dick train consisting of 11 year olds would save the day, and it did, much like the silver slugs, or the ritual of Chud.

As far as why it had to be a dick train, I think it was Beverly's fucked up mind that came to that conclusion. She had that weird almost rape encounter with her dad earlier that day, mixed with those weird feelings with Ben and Bill, probably charged her up to the point where she was so fucking confused that she felt this is the only thing that can do it. Probably that mixed with It's influence still hanging around because he hasn't died yet. I don't know, Beverly grew up to be in an extremely sexually abusive relationship, she was just fucked in the head.

Or maybe Stephen King had other intentions, I don't know. The scene is weird as fuck.
>>
>>8601728
Because he turns out shitty books and doesn't give 2 fucks about quality or artistic integrity.
Because his books are literally meant for housewives to read on airplanes.
Because fuck Steven King. That's why.
>>
File: image.jpg (207KB, 1000x676px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207KB, 1000x676px
>>8601830
McCarthy is a hack, yet he keeps getting away with it, Melville is a literal practical joke, an American myth much like Ben Franklin & his kite, and yeah Hemmingway is regarded by everyone everywhere as a joke, he's awful.

You clearly haven't read Joyce. You'll get it once you do.

And yes, Breakspeare is exactly that.

/lit/s opinion on King is actually more favorable than other authors: On Writing & early Dark Tower books are consistently reccomended.

You forgot Pinecone btw.

Oh and you're a faggot. And both your parents are dissapointed by how effeminate you are. Also, check your stupid nuts for lumps. Ball cancer is a young man's disease.
>>
Most of King's books are genre pop garbage for the lowest common denominator. Having said that, I do really enjoy a handful of his books.

IT, Salem's Lot, The Gunslinger, and Wizard and Glass are legitimately pretty good imo.

Firestarter, The Running Man, and The Dead Zone are simplistic genre romps that are nonetheless pretty fun.

The rest are trashy books for bored housewives.

Haven't read The Stand.
>>
The Stand, The Long Walk, 11/22/63, Salem's Lot, and Under the Dome are solid. None of them are as scary as IT, though. Night Shift and Skeleton Key, two of his short story collections, have some pretty spooky stories.
>>
King has some good works, The Stand is actually great, as is the Dark Tower Series, but I'll agree that much of his work is just pulp that he is publishing to make money
>>
>>8601728
Was thinking of getting this considering current events. I don't know if I really want to spend $10 for a Kindle edition. Only hardcopy I found was at Barnes and Noble and it's the overpriced anniversary edition. I didn't realize it's so fucking huge. Why does King always feel the need to write these giant epics?
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 719x377px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 719x377px
>>8602052
>>
>>8602055
Lol
>>
>>8602055
Dang you just spooked me
>>
Well fuck it. I bought it on Kindle. I'm in the middle of other shit but here we go. Yay capitalism.
>>
>>8602219
It's a good book. It's not all scary, there's a lot of character development and just general thoughts on childhood in between the horror.
>>
File: 20.jpg (70KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
70KB, 800x804px
>>8602001
>Because his books are literally meant for housewives to read on airplanes.
>>
>>8601830
Im not /lit/, but i dont get shakespear worship.

He popularized fiction, maybe appealed to multiple audiences. How is that the best playwrite ever?
>>
>>8602002
How fucking triggered are you?

Did I just describe you or something?
>>
>>8602002
Feels like you are mad because I just triggered you.

PS: Proof you're mad. I never said I didn't read Joyce, I said a lot of people don't. Not because Joyce is bad, but because they see his work as difficult. I wasn't attacking your patron saint he is actually brilliant.
>>8602266
That's not what I was saying. Shakespear isn't god, but he was brilliant and he was important. People try to use the inflation he gets from school teachers as an excuse not to read him.
>>
>>8601750
He is a master storyteller. His screenplays are amazing, and when he is on drugs he has visions of awful, awful things, and he knows how to communicate them to his audience. The first Gunslinger is an amazing book, and his stuff in Different Seasons and Misery is out of this world.

His writing ability and prose are trash, absolute trash. I noticed this when I was like 10 years old, when I saw that unlike most other "grownup" books i read, much of his work consisted of lines of dialogue in quotes, with a "Scary thing...", said John. format. Not to mention the fact that his success gives him a soapbox to blather about shit, and the fact that since he stopped doing drugs and got hit by a van, his shit is terrible. I give him credit where it is due, but as an author, his work fucking sucks.
>>
>>8602312
unlike most other "grownup" books i read, much of his work consisted of lines of dialogue in quotes, with a "Scary thing...", said John.

The Stand and Pet Semetary are particularly egregious in this. King builds worlds and performs exposition through character hack character dialogue.
>>
At the end of the first section of chapter three. Pedestrian writing, overlong biographical "character development" of way too numerous characters. Not even scary.
>>
>>8602504
>I've read a 30th of the book
>Too many characters
>In a 1,000 page book
>Not scary

Like I said earlier, there are only a handful of scary parts, and even then the scariness wears off after a while.

If you're looking to shit your pants with terror, you probably won't reading this book. You'll just be creeped out
>>
>>8602002
>McCarthy is a hack
Finally somebody who fucking agrees with me. I knew this when I was forced to read him in grade ten.
>>
>>8602677
But I'm not even mildly creeped out. It's a gutter clown. It really is Goosebumps for adults.

I will say I do like the fractured narrative and the way way the chapters unfold in jagged pieces.
>>
>>8602741
Because you barely read anything.

Maybe you won't get creeped out, I don't know, but the first two murders aren't really creepy at all. All you get out of them is there's some clown in the sewers that eats people that fall down there.

It's the psychological games that creep me out

Like the scene where Stan tries to joke about cutting his wrists, but then stares at them for a while until the others have to pull his hands away from the broken glass
>>
File: a0f.jpg (30KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
a0f.jpg
30KB, 600x512px
>>8602767
Well I've read more in one sitting than I usually read, so there's that.

I'm tired. Goodnight /lit
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.