[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The epic of gilgamesh is the only book that has ever needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1475989680041.jpg (97KB, 439x457px) Image search: [Google]
1475989680041.jpg
97KB, 439x457px
The epic of gilgamesh is the only book that has ever needed to exist.

Y/n?
>>
>>8601602
n
>>
n, my diary is better desu.
>>
File: 薫梢01 by ヨルノトノ.jpg (120KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
薫梢01 by ヨルノトノ.jpg
120KB, 600x600px
>>8601602
You have the wrong epic.
>>
The Epic of Gilgamesh isn't a book.
>>
>>8601602
AENEID
E
N
E
I
D
>>
>>8601602
The Illiad is a firm improvement on it.
>>
Nah, it's just a good start.
>>
>>8601602
That's a very conservative view you have there.
>>
>>8602299
Highly derivative, attempt to distance themselves from their "rustic" Etruscan and Lucanian neighbours; the Romans lived in the shadow of the Greeks for much of their early history; their aping of them is evident even in their national epic - essentially an Iliad/Odyssey continuation fanatic.

At least The Lusiads only riffs on it heavily.
>>
it's incomplete though
>>
>>8602386
Sadly, we're missing some really important scenes they lost rest of the afterlife description from Enkidu which is absolutely tragic to me, but it's not like the missing lines make-or-break Gilgamesh in terms of its prominence in literature
>>
>>8602060

and OP has never read the fragments that make up what little pieces we have of it.

that's okay, OP. ud-na-me dumu nam-tag nu-tuk ama-a-ni nu-tu-ud (never a child without fault any mother has born)
>>
Reading Stephanie Dalley's version, an Oxford publication... And it's just a tease. You get a vague sense of what its all about but there is so much missing it's hard to appreciate
>>
>>8602562
also, i think people then were closer to the animal state of mind than we are. the stories we can perceive in this are really simple narratives, almost without cause and effect, as if they were new to the idea of making shit up.

"WHAT? you're writing down stuff that DIDN'T HAPPEN?.. HOW?"
>>
the only book you will ever need is the complete works of plato
>>
Please explain to me why you think it's that interesting. I'm currently reading it and maybe I'm missing something but it seems pretty dull to me. It's basicaly just that handsome and strong Gilgamesh guy becoming instant bfs with Enkidu and then they go on some boring adventures and talk a lot about their gods.
>>
>>8603094
>>8603617
You need to read deeper, kiddos.

http://www.atour.com/education/pdf/SimoParpola-TheAssyrianTreeOfLife.pdf
p. 33
>>
>>8601602
>needed to exist
s
>>
>>8603568
>Plato

My sides.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.