[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm curious to know who else here is an English teacher?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 2

File: yoteach.jpg (34KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
yoteach.jpg
34KB, 500x313px
I'm curious to know who else here is an English teacher? Where do you teach? What grade? What are some of the books/stories you're using this year?

I'll start:
>Philly
>12th grade/11th grade
>Right now I'm teaching Dubliners to my seniors and doing a unit on Faulkners short stories with my juniors. Considering doing Siddhartha later in the year.
>>
>>8600226
>only teaching dead white heterosexual males

Proud of you, man. Keep up the good fight
>>
>>8600230
I'm an English teacher too, in the UK. I think there are too many white males in literature. So I'm only teaching my students women authors and black people.

Right now we're doing Muriel Spark's "The Drivers Seat" next we'll be moving on to Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" and then next year I'll do "To Kill a Mocking Bird"
>>
>>8600226
father judge? ryan? huberts? towne? drop the details, homie
>>
>>8600237
You're really fucking triggering me right now. You must be fucking out of your brainwashed mind.

You are the reason the world is going to shit
>>
>>8600237
same, I find this method really engages students in literature
>>
>>8600238
we've only read one so far, Rose for Emily to get them hooked. they loved it. Dry September first. My kids do African American history in 11th grade so I'm trying to pick ones that I can tie in. what's great about my school is I have total freedom to teach whatever I want

>>8600237
later in the year we are reading Jjumpa Lahiri's The Namesake
>>
I'm an English teacher, but currently teaching Biology and Genetics (kind of a long story how this came to pass). I should be back to teaching English next semester. I'll be teaching high school, possibly students of all grades 9-12. It's an alternative high school with students of incredibly disparate competencies (mostly kids who have struggled/will struggle to pass the state standardized test required for graduation, but some who will at least be going to college, too), so I will have to use a wide range of material. Also, because I taught at a traditional high school before this year, I haven't had to do this before and I'm not sure yet exactly what all works/authors I will use. Likely a lot of short stories, Poe,
le Guin, Chekhov, Tobias Wolff, and others like that where it isn't difficult to grasp what's going on generally, and the stories will be compelling for the kids, but they also lend themselves to deeper interpretations.

Also poetry with the same qualities.

Basically I'll be looking for things that will help me help them to pass the standardized test, and can also give the more competent students a chance to challenge themselves, too.
>>
>>8600298
Also
>Considering doing Siddhartha later in the year
You don't have to provide a syllabus in the beginning of the year that includes the major works you will be using? I was stuck doing Frankenstein and Anthem my first year teaching because I came in about a month after the year had started, and those were on the previous teacher's syllabus. I'm sure I could've given out my own syllabus and chosen the works I wanted to do, but I didn't want to rock the boat (the previous teacher had become the department head and AP Lit teacher, as well as my assigned peer mentor), and I honestly had no clue what the fuck I was doing, didn't go to school to teach or anything, so I sort of went along with what the previous teacher did for that year.
>>
>>8600226

I'm from Denmark but have a Master's degree in English and I've worked a long time as an English teacher at various schools. I'm currently employed in Japan where I teach at a conversation school. My students range in age from 3 to around 65, but it's very intellectually unsatisfying work. I just needed a change of scenery. I'm fighting to get more of the students to read some goddamn books, even simple things.

I was a high school teacher in Denmark for a short period. I use some King short stories, like "The Jaunt", and "To Kill a Mockingbird". It's good fun, but I found it fairly demotivating to teach things I love to kids who are mostly indifferent. I mean, they're teenagers, all they want to do is play video games, have sex and get drunk... and I don't fuckin' blame them, so it was hard to force them to focus on the books I've grown to love.

For example, I remember when I was a high school student, my teacher made us read "The Grapes of Wrath". I found it odd and didn't finish it. I re-read it last year, and now it's one of my favorite books. I just wasn't ready in high school, and couldn't appreciate it.

Right now I'm convinced that it's infinitely better to meet students at their level, and have them read any pleb thing they want, as long as they actually read and develop a love for it, and an interest in it. Who cares if they read Twilight if they can get something level-appropriate out of it?
>>
>>8600306
we had to turn in a syllabus but it is highly fluid at my school. though you are right that making your own curriculum in your first year (where I'm at now) is a shit ton of work. I currently teach in a title 1 school (similar situation with kids mostly struggling to pass) and I can tell you this: do NOT go easy on them because they struggle. my kids are reading and doing analysis on Joyce better than I did in high school. when you're dealing with struggling learners it's essential to challenge them and hold them to a high standard
>>
>>8600325
Var du gymnasielærer? Virker som et comfy job
>>
>>8600226
English teacher in Ohio here
Teach 5/6th grade
Already covered Infinite Jest, Jerusalem and Mein Kampf
Next I'm planning on getting them make group projects about Lolita
>>
>>8600348
nice, working your way to finnegans by the end of the year i assume?
>>
>>8600226

How does it feel that even your best students, who actually do the readings, will have read under 300 pages by the end of the year, and that everyone else is skimming summaries on wikipedia?

Or do you delude yourself?
>>
>>8600342

Yep. På HHX dog; STX virker mere chill fordi der er mere frihed ift litteratur, og fordi en del STX studerende faktisk læser boger.

Jeg havde tre klasser på HHX. Jeg spurgte alle tre klasser, "Hvilke boger kan i lide at læse". Stilhed. Jeg reviderede mit sporgsmål til, "Læser i nogensinde boger?". Stilhed.

Meget trist. Alt i alt et comfy job, dog.
>>
>>8600367
Hvorfor finder du ikke bare et gym-job? Den ældre generation går på pension nu
>>
>>8600357
We read in class as small groups, many kids are poor readers and many are strong so this way it allows every kid to know whats going on in the reading. Additionally, they fill out questions for understanding throughout the reading, so all students are more or less forced to engage with the text on some level. I would say 75% of my kids are doing the readings consistently, maybe 33% are enjoying it.

Also the metrics you are using for success are way off. It doesn't matter how much they read, its about if I can provide meaningful experiences.
>>
>>8600371

Fordi jeg vil have en PhD. Jeg er i Japan for 1) livserfaring, og 2) fordi jeg sogte en PhD stilling men desværre ikke fik jobbet.

Jeg venter pt på svar fra en ny stilling. Gymlærer ér et chill job, men jeg orker ikke rigtigt at undervise på lavt niveau. Jeg savner den mere abstrakte universitetsverden hvor jeg ikke skal forklare forskellen mellem adjektiver og adverbier.

Med en uddannelse i engelsk er det dog ret let at finde jobs hvis man intet har imod undervisning. Vil du selv undervise?
>>
>>8600385
Jeg er færdig lige om lidt med en KA i engelsk med filosofi som sidefag. Så det kan jeg undervise i, hvis lysten skulle være der.

Hvad vil du gerne skrive en PhD om? Hvad blev afvist?
>>
>>8600397

Cool. Good luck.

Jeg har skrevet tre forslag indtil videre. Alle PhD-opslag er forskellige. Mit seneste forslag, og det jeg nærer mest håb til, er hardcore litteraturteori. Opslaget horer til en forskningsgruppe som vil undersoge, hvordan litteratur er en aktor i samfundet, og hvordan det ændrer samfundet både på vidt plan, men også personligt plan.

Jeg foreslog at kigge på, hvordan populærlitteratur ændrer a) aspekter af mennesker (empati, fantasi etc), og b) ændrer kulturer. Det er langt mere detaljeret end dét, men du fik den hurtige version.

Chancen for at få en PhD i engelsk er håblost lille, men jeg vil hellere prove og fejle, end slet ikke at prove, you know? Hvis alt går galt så vil der sgu nok være gymnasier i fremtiden også.
>>
>>8600408
Held og lykke med næste forsog i hvert fald.
>>
>>8600377

I think the role of the teacher is to educate, not to "provide meaningful experiences". And it's sad that someone can get all through high school and college with great grades and still be a complete pleb, unable to so much as write a decent email. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to shit on your profession, I'm sure you do good things, but education is pretty bad right now.
>>
>>8600329
>when you're dealing with struggling learners it's essential to challenge them and hold them to a high standard

True enough. Before this, I was teaching honors classes, general classes, and what was essentially a remedial class, one for students who hadn't passed the state test. So I do have experience teaching students who struggle, along with others all along the spectrum up to those who were track to go to any college they wanted. The real challenge for me now will be having all of the students of such varying abilities in the same class at the same time, and trying to give each of them what they need. Differentiated instruction on that level is not an easy task. I do have a couple things going in my favor though: smaller class sizes (I'll probably have maybe 15-20 in each class instead of 25), and 90 minute class periods instead of 45. This means I can more easily have smaller groups doing different things and even have significant one-on-one time with my students.

>>8600414
I think you and the anon you're referring to have similar ideas, really. My goal is to provide my students with the tools they will need to "succeed", whatever that means to them. To me, this means they will all acquire the skills necessary to pass the state test and graduate, and to understand and communicate using the English language to the best of their abilities. So, my honors level students, yeah, I want them to be able to interact with challenging texts in a meaningful way, think critically and analyze what they read to a higher level. But do I really want to spend the time required to get my remedial level kids to understand the allusions and puns in a Shakespearean tragedy? Fuck no. I want them to be able to understand the language in a lease agreement for an apartment, or a contract for a car loan, etc. I will never deprive a student of the chance to do and learn more, but I have to try to assess their abilities and potentials to come up with a realistic estimation of what they will be capable of and what they will need and use in their lives.
>>
>>8600414
meaningful experiences, in my opinion, are what lead to education. it doesn't occur in a vacuum. its not the 40s anymore where education is culturally valued, and where i teach being educated is actually seen as a kind of bad thing oddly enough, so you have to find ways to provide jumping off points for kids to sit down and say "wow, there might be more to this than i previously thought"

>>8600503
one thing Ive found helpful for differentiation is reading groups. kids who struggle can listen to a high performer or mid performer read aloud. then you implant questions in the text that they have to answer which prompts them to dive deeper and have discussions. the guided questions you put into the text are like scaffolds, so you can use them more or less depending on the skills of the reader.
>>
>>8600414
*responding
not referring

And also, yes, you're right about the state of the education system. I can really only speak to my own district and specifically the schools where I've worked (and, to a lesser extent, my state), but the biggest problem is with who the teachers are. Sure the standards and standardized tests are a problem, but it is possible to teach kids to pass the tests AND give them what they need to realize their full potentials, too. The issue is too many teachers (at least in my experience anyway) really do not have the students' best interest at heart. It is a job, one that is not difficult to get, with a steady paycheck that gives them enough to subsist with decent benefits. They can also put in just 35-40 hours and manage to get by and not get fired. Teachers bitch and moan all day about how shitty and stupid their kids are, but offer no solutions and put forth minimal effort in their own classrooms, don't care to build relationships with their students to understand what makes them tick and how to use that to get their best out of them.

I was having a conversation about the state of education with a much older teacher during my first year and he said it very succinctly and accurately: the public education system is a jobs program, plain and simple.

Another huge issue is the parents. Parents these days tend to see school as glorified daycare. They have no investment in their kids education, take no time to follow how they are doing or to push them to excel either as students or as human beings. Then, you have no idea how often they will be texting or even trying to answer a call in class and when I tell them not to, it's their parent calling or texting them.

I can only do my best to provide my students with the best possible experience to benefit them short and long term while they are in my classroom, and I have to do my best to figure out how to give that to them, keeping in mind they are all individuals with different abilities, potentials, learning styles, experiences, things they like and dislike, etc. It is an incredibly easy job if you want to be mediocre, not get fired, and don't care to have meaningful relationships with your students. If you want to be a good teacher who does have meaningful relationships with your students and push them to excel and succeed, it is remarkably difficult.
>>
Teaching AP Lit And Comp in Seattle, and honestly I get away with assigning some pretty cool shit. AP leaves it pretty open, so I've assigned:

George Eliot- Silas Marner
Gabriel Garcia Marquez- 100 Years Of Solitude
Sophocles- Oedipus Rex
Alfred Jarry- Pere Ubu
Coleridge- Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Selected stuff by Yeats, Blake, Frost, etc.
They have a choice of Hamlet, The Tempest, or Othello

I've also given a few books as "extra credit" or generally recommended them:

Tom Stoppard- Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead (if the student does a tandem essay comparing it to Hamlet)
Faulkner- As I Lay Dying
Joyce- Dubliners or Portrait (if they decide to do the latter they get an automatic 100 on the extra credit if they can recite the hell description in class with no reference)
Milton- Paradise Lost
Camus- The Stranger

About 40% of my students end up liking what they read (Ubu and Solitude are usually favorites) and end up doing pretty well on the exam (class average was a 3.67 on the last one).
It's rough at a public school if only because of low pay and being shipped off sometimes, but honestly I wouldn't really give it up for anything.
>>
>>8600541
agreed, I'm a young teacher who is super passionate and I try to do things every day that the kids can actually use, but I'd say half the teachers in my school are just showing up. I walk past their rooms in the hallway and they are at their desk on the computer while the kids are all sitting around doing nothing. and the things that gets me is that the kids WANT to learn. none of them actually like showing up to school all day to sit and waste time
>>
>>8600554
Pere Ubu is the band.
>>
Research on teacher effectiveness shows that teachers virtually don't matter at all. 90th percentile teachers increase student performance by 0.1 standard deviations, and the effect completely fades after a few years.

How does it feel to do a job that is literally useless?
>>
>>8600541
I left out the part about how the shit pay and not-so-great benefits, combined with how easy of a job it is to get and keep, attracts the wrong kind of person to the field. The incentives appeal more to the less intelligent, less motivated among us. It is something I always heard, but now see differently, the teaching profession is severely undervalued, and you see, as a very direct result, the declining condition of public education.
>>
>>8600563
I know that it's Ubu Roi technically but the band fucked the name for me so sometimes I refer to it like that by accident
>>
>>8600565
>>8600565
Haven't seen the study or studies to which you refer, but I can guess as to a number of problems with how it/they was/were carried out.

Furthermore, the impact you have on your student goes beyond whatever metric was used ti measure "student performance". My first year teaching, I had a student who was on the verge of dropping out at 16 and falling into a life of poverty and at least petty crime. She had never had anyone tell her or show her what she was actually capable of. Thing is, she was actually really smart and just had never applied her intelligence to anything useful. The first writing assignment I gave them, she wrote a rap song. Another teacher would've taken one glance, thrown it out and given her a zero. But when I read it, it was readily apparent that she was really creative and perceptive. I pushed her hard all year and didn't just let her do her thing like every other teacher, worked with her to show her she could do the work asked of her. She fought back, hard, cussed me out regularly, etc. At the end of the year when I had all my kids sign my yearbook, she wrote "Thank you for being my teacher. You pushed me when I was about to give up." Now she is a hardworking student in every class. She may not ever go to college, but she will also not be a thieving, crack addicted hooker if she stays on the course I got her to start on. Having that kind of impact on one student makes it worthwhile.

My own father has a similar story to hers. He grew up in the hispanic South Bronx in the 60s and 70s, surrounded by gangs and drugs. He could've been another heroin-addicted, murdering gangbanger with multiple kids from multiple women who he didn't take care of like all of his friends (or else dead like so many others). I recently met his best friend from childhood, still living in the same projects, working a shitty job doing road work for the city, drinking heavily and doing drugs. My father is now an assistant superintendent of a school district with a good life and loving family. He attributes his success to one single teacher who he says "saved his life".

>tl;dr you have no fucking clue what you're talking about
>>
>>8600641
I agree with you, but that road worker has a 70% chance of hating life by the time he's retired.
Coming from a family of laborers, the work makes people bitter.
>>
>>8600610

He's not saying teachers don't have in impact, he's, in essence, saying that ability to learn is a fixed variable and that as long as any teacher, competent or troglodyte, can spit out whatever material it is they're trying to teach, the pupils will learn at the rate they can with the cognitive tools they have.

>>8600226
I'm earning my BA in philosophy from a good institution, and I'm really thinking about grabbing a few teaching certs next summer and teaching high school. I had a high school teacher that had such a tremendous impact on me and its really given me the impetus as of late to look into teaching more.

I'm really not sure what my degree qualifies me for. If I really wanted to I could get my MA and teach history, economics, or philosophy -- if any of the 4 public philosophy positions in my state are vacant. Not really a fan of the sort of conventional English teacher position or the subject matter.

How about this -- any non-English teachers here? How do you like it? Has it been rewarding enough for you that, if you had to do it all over again, you would choose teaching in lieu of something more lucrative?
>>
>>8600641
If you don't believe a single teacher can make a huge difference in a student's life, you are exactly the kind of jaded educator I talked about in an earlier post. If you don't think what you do matters, why are you doing it?

And yeah, he probably does have a higher income than I do. But he also probably has a shittier life because he never overcame his substance abuse problems, never realized that there was a better life available to him than living in the projects, drinking and getting high. He's also incurred more debt, spent significant stints of his life incarcerated, jobless, and homeless. He's also a 60 year old man digging ditches, jackhammering, and doing other absolutely backbreaking work that leaves him in a constant state of exhaustion and pain without the ability to retire anytime soon, and without the time or energy to pursue anything more substantial than a dinner that wasn't heated up in the microwave.
>>
>>8600567
lol, 45% Hispanic 45% black 10% white asian.
>>
>>8600699
Yeah, you're definitely the mediocre, jaded teacher I was talking about earlier. The kind who sees how shitty the education system is and says, fuck it, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I for one, am going to continue spending my time trying to get my students to be the best people they can be. And I will continue to stay late after school to talk to those who feel comfortable enough with me to share their problems and trust me to ask for advice. I will continue to work at home and come in early to come up with specific lessons geared towards the individuals in each class. I may not be able to fix the education system, but I can make my classroom a haven from the shitstorm. And you know what? I will also continue to hear from students how I made a difference in their lives and how grateful they are that I was their teacher, because I didn't write them off or lump them into broad, general categories with the rest of their classmates. You really need to reconsider the position you are in as an educator to actually make a significant difference in the lives of your students.
>>
>>8600699
I'm not a teacher though, anon. Not everyone on this site is the same person.

And your argument of, labor union = labor, doesn't hold. A teacher does not do the same physical work as, say, a road worker or construction worker. Your story makes it sound as though the women in your family hate teaching because they were forced into it, not because of the physical pain.
>>
>>8600718
I sincerely feel bad for you, but worse for your students. They deserve better. You are part of the problem. Find another career.
>>
>>8600748
I'm him.

>>8600736
Yeah, your students are going to hate you if you're the strict and tough, let's have everyone read Joyce so I can fellate myself type of teacher.

The general (at least in America) curriculum up to high school is easy shit. Coming out and forcing Joyce is shock therapy, and I can guarantee students will respond negatively.

If you continue the stereotype that reading is simply work and not fun, students will leave your class with the continued mindset of never wanting to read out of choice.
>>
>>8600764
Let's just take teachers away!
>>
>>8600718
And as I said at the end of this post:
>>8600736
you need to reconsider the position you are in. You CAN make a difference in your students' lives, and it is an incredibly rewarding feeling.

The school where I teach now, it happens everyday. It is a school where the vast majority of students come to us with sub-2.0 GPAs, criminal records, kids of their own, etc. These kids would never graduate high school if not for the teachers we have. We are a very small school, about 200 total, but we get to see roughly 100 kids get their diplomas every year, and a couple dozen more their G.E.D.s, when without the incredible, dedicated, passionate 15 or so teachers we have, they would've flunked out, dropped out, or been expelled, never gotten their diplomas or G.E.D.s, and wound up as nothing more than dishwashers or drugdealers. We give them a chance to do more when nobody else would, and so many of them take advantage of it. Do they go on to be doctors, lawyers, or nuclear physicists? No. But they do go on to be financially stable, able to raise a healthy family, and have careers they enjoy like auto mechanics, IT workers, cosmetologists, and nurses. You are yourself in a sad state, anon, and do nothing but contribute to the sad state of our public education system. I apologize for telling you to get out of the profession, though; it is never too late to change.
>>
>>8600779
Ah, and you're so enlightened, right anon?

Your plans there are regressive. But I also suspect you're a shitposter, so until you provide more context into how eliminating schools would better the world, this is the last (you) you're getting from me.
>>
>>8600773
Many of them may have, but a lot of them didn't. And those who did, they let the pressures and failures get to them. You're not going to change everyone's life. Most will not respond to what you're trying to do for them, and will go on being the ignorant assholes they have always been. But for those few who you do impact, the difference you can make is huge, and you should focus on those positives, not all the negatives. Even if there are only a few drops in the glass, it is 1/100th full, not 99/100ths empty. I am still going to give each and every signle student I see the best opportunities, even if only one takes advantage.
>>
If I get a masters degree in finance (currently working on), how hard is it if I realize that the career isn't what I had hoped, to be able to become a teacher or professor? I truly don't know what qualifications one needs but I assume you need a teaching degree of some sort as opposed to just one in general.

I've got this comfy idea of working in finance and making bank for five or ten years then using that money to get my teaching degree then teaching high school economics or English and coaching soccer at my old high school in my comfy beach town. Is that hard to do? Am I retarded?
>>
>>8600817
What's your profession, anon?
>>
>>8600808
You must be the single most embittered, sad, pessimistic person I've encountered in a long while. I don't know what life experiences led to be so hateful towards life and everyone in it, but I'm sorry. You not only make wild assumptions about the capabilities and potentials of the studentd you see everyday, but you do the same for me, someone you've never met and had one conversation with on an online bacarrat enthusiast groupchat, and even my students, of whom you literally know not a single damn thing. I struggle with depression, but holy shit, someone really fucked you up bad.
>>
>>8600817
>>8600856

Sorry, thought you were the same anon I had been responding to. Still, you shouldn't be so pessimistic either. Like I said before, no, not everyone is going to go on to be wealthy or even mildly successful. But I do know I at least make some positive impact in the lives of many of my students, and even have made a great impact for a few. Can't save 'em all, but that doesn't mean I don't try.
>>
>>8600242
I know right. I'm not saying to teach ONLY white males but the other extreme is preventing students from reaching great literature from before the 1800's.
>>
I like to assign ee cummings as the first assignment for my classes. I typically do that to weed out the smart ones from my class.

Typically "l(a" is the poem I make the class analyze.
>>
>>8600699
that's not the most rewarding part about teaching for me anon, so I don't think you're speaking in absolute truths here, like at all. different strokes for different folks, personally I love my job and think I'm making a difference. many people will tell you they think I am too. certainly in life many people grow bitter and entrenched (I see them across the hall every day) but don't act like your opinion of the field means shit in the long run.
>>
>>8600769
lol, I teach Joyce to kids in the inner city and they love it. it doesn't matte. what you teach it matters how you teach it.
>>
I would literally rather just go around lobotomizing children at random than work in education. It would certainly do less damage.
>>
>>8600819
my host teacher when I was student teaching dos exactly this. seems like he's pleased with his path.
>>
>>8600924
Thank you, this is really what I should have said in the beginning and just been done with it. And thank you for doing what you do. It sounds like your students are probably lucky to have you.
>>
>>8600565
Student performance on what, faggot
>>
>>8600950
Thank you anon. That comment is enough to make me do it. :)
>>
>>8600565
This is wrong. My middle of no where public schools calculus teacher had 40/43 students get a 5 on the calculus BC AP exam. You can't tell me the teacher had no effect on anything, idiot.
>>
>>8601099
Jesus Christ, the school where I work needs someone like her. We lost three amazing upper-level maths teachers to retirement at the same time back in summer of 2005 (between my sophomore and junior years at the school), and the department has still never recovered. This was the first year for our newest Calc teacher (he's been there over a decade, but just now doing AP), and I think his numbers were something like 4 out of 10 passing.
>>
>>8601131
He was truly a god of calculus. Don't know what is was but even the students everyone knew as stupid and likely to fail ended up with 4s on the exam at a minimum. He's so good that my college professors know him by name five states away.
>>
>>8600242
>takes the bait.
>>
File: 1456362144067.jpg (2MB, 1920x1209px) Image search: [Google]
1456362144067.jpg
2MB, 1920x1209px
I only have one thing to say. Those that can't do, teach.
>>
>>8602510
And those that can't teach shitpost on an anonymous Singaporean cross-dressing online town hall meeting about a noble and undervalued endeavor.
>>
>>8602544
Why are you so angry? Did I hit a nerve there? You know it's the truth, deep down inside.
>>
>>8602548
Ya got me, trollerino!
>>
>>8600377
In 10th grade my teacher forced us to read Jane Eyre and at the time I remember it being the bane of my fucking existence because I'd never read anything as dense as Brontë at 15, it was drudgery, and I actually had to Sparknotes pretty much every chapter after finishing it to make sure I understood everything I'd just read.

When we finally finished as a class I realized how much I liked the story in the end, and that's what got me more interested in other British authors.

I guess my point is: you're doing it right. I didn't appreciate class reading at the time but now I'm so thankful I had the experience
>>
>>8602510
ur gay
>>
>>8600226
should I teach english in china/korea. I could easily get my certificate. anyone done this?
>>
>>8602574
Sorry for breaking your delusions and showing you your own mediocrity.
>>
can some of you dirtbags post lesson plans? i want to see how you teach/explain. a short story or poem. or your approaches to shakespeare and novels.
>>
I have a question for you teachers: how come you got to be a teacher? Did you ever ponder and reflect if this was really the path for you or if you just were not good enough for it?

I can get a teaching certificate next year but I'm really insecure about teaching. My late father was a professor and he would usually tell me that he never saw himself as a professor until he got the job. Went on to teach for >35 years.
>>
>>8600325
I graduate next year, and if I can't find any work I'm going to try to find a teaching gig in Japan.
Can you tell me more about it? Which company are you working for? Where are you situated currently? And you mentioned the work as being intellectually unsatisfying. It's a conversation class, so yeah, makes sense, but couldn't you find even one person remotely interested in literature?
Are there countries other than Japan where you can get hired as an English teacher really easily?
>>
>>8604069
I've wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. I used to force my sisters and cousins to attend "classes" (before we had ever attended school) I would teach that I cobbled together from our encyclopedia set.
>>
>>8600342
Jeg er bosse
>>
>>8604069
I was in college to be a psychologist. realized it wasn't what I wanted and that I'd always wanted to teach so I made the change. it's cool cuz now I'm a teacher AND a psychologist essentially lol.

>>8602836
thanks man good to know my plans make sense to others
>>
>>8604548
What are you teaching?

>>8604266
I guess you're lucky
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.