[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do fricking idiots seem to think about schools of thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: anger_autism_787172039.jpg (152KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
anger_autism_787172039.jpg
152KB, 500x334px
why do fricking idiots seem to think about schools of thought within philosophy like they are competing football teams?
"oh im a nihilist, im a so and so" like all they can do is regurgitate some bullshit they read because they wanted to sound smarter..
another thing that really peeves me right off is when some fucking shit kicker, probably uneducated 35 and works in retail, decides to call a phrase they like to apply to every fucking situation theyre in their "philosophy"
"well i tell yu hwat my philosophy is kill em all let god sort em out hurhur"
what is it in people that makes it so easy for them to be okay with regurgitating uncomplicated bullshit instead of understanding and interpreting, and before that keeping your mouth shut.
the same shit happens when trying to interpret literature, they go through the same stock 10 interpretations they use on every book and i fucking hate it
>>
File: 1446113671158.jpg (78KB, 764x599px) Image search: [Google]
1446113671158.jpg
78KB, 764x599px
cool
>>
>>8598796
>why do fricking idiots seem to think about schools of thought within philosophy like they are competing football teams?
i don't know
>>
>>8598796
Because people think they are right and think anyone proposing any other philosophy is screwing up the world.
>>
>>8598808
Instead of defining everyone of your beliefs and ideas, you can simply say, "I'm a nihilist". I can respond, "I'm a christian" we then can discuss a whole arrange of subjects with relative ease.
>>
On the one hand, identifying with a belief system is, uh... "pure ideology" as it were.

On the other hand, >>8598845 is correct. These terms can be used to shorten introductions with others.

I would generally say that anyone who claims to adhere strictly to their party line on intellectual matters has probably not thought about their position enough.
>>
>>8598796
>why are people talking about reading books on a literature board?!?!?!
I don't know, OP. It's one of life's great mysteries, like "How do they get the figs in the fig rolls?"
>>
>>8598845
>we then can discuss a whole arrange of subjects with relative ease.
This is not my experience.

>>8598796
>why do fricking idiots seem to think
I dunno, maybe it's like an illusion, we want to believe other people think. Or maybe it's like camouflage, they gain something by looking thoughtful.

There is no level at which you no longer get idiots either, nor is there anywhere where there are only idiots. This is Nietzsche's whole thing of a lot of smart people work with their hands, but a lot of stupid people also manage to get through university somehow. What can you do eh???
>>
They make it easier to extend the conclusions of multiple competing systems into a single synthesis. It's like math. You start with simple definitions, then move on to simple theorems from which you can begin to prove more complex theorems, and so on until you are demonstrating theorems about theorems. It's pretty much the only way to make sense of systematic thinkers like Heidegger or Hegel or even systematic thought outside of philosophy, such as economics and the sciences.

It is a sign of philosophical immaturity to identify overtly with some school as being "the final truth" to which we are somehow obliged to submit (spooky!). With time and study people move on from this, although they will still be able to describe their ideas with reference to those schools.

For example, the other night I was talking with my friend about "epistemic responsibility." I denied that there was any such thing, and drew on schools such as doxastic voluntarism, reliabilism, and Wittgenstein. The fact we could each reference these complex concepts allowed our discussion to move much further and more easily than if we limited ourselves to describing each atomic proposition of our overall philosophy.
>>
>>8599437
TL;DR it is convenient for discussion to work with schools of thought.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.