[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished reading The Plague by Albert Camus and i think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: the plague.jpg (27KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
the plague.jpg
27KB, 280x400px
I just finished reading The Plague by Albert Camus and i think i did not fully understand the philosophy behind it.

As far as i understood Camus implied that only people survive that show solidarity with the plague?

What does this mean i feel like i dont understand what he is trying to say?

I am rather new to philosophy and just trying to understand
>>
bump for interest.
>>
>>8598084
He's reminding people that they're always-already dying
>>
This book was a bore
>>
>>8598103

Yes it really was i had to push myself hard to finish it and
>>
>>8598110
And what? Did candlejack get to y
>>
>>8598094

Like thats all?
He described so many things like his friendship to Tarrou and the state of siege in Oran whats up with that?
>>
>>8598114

and i didn't like it
>>
If I wanted to start reading Camus, where should I start?
>>
>>8598171
the stranger, you moron
>>
>>8598171
The Stranger -> Sisyphus -> A Happy Death
that's all you need for a working knowledge of absurdism.
>>
File: Albert_Camus.jpg (98KB, 1000x1197px) Image search: [Google]
Albert_Camus.jpg
98KB, 1000x1197px
>>8598171
>>
>>8598224
I don't like it. This chart feels motivated by reading-for-entertainment reader than someone exploring Camus' philosophy.

I'm sticking to my guns with the Stranger>Sisyphus>Death order, but branching from Sisyphus would be The Rebel, which would lead to The Fall, equal/connected with A Happy Death, with The Plague also leading from The Stranger, connected with nothing
>>
>>8598084
I found the book to be deeply tied to both Camus' own The Rebel and Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling. Paneloux's second speech is basically the core argument of F&T and most of the main characters are following the path of the Knight of Infinite Resignation in one way or another.

I think Camus is saying that only people who acknowledge the absurd nature of death and find a way to live in opposition to it can find any solace in life. Watch how some of the secondary characters change throughout the book, especially Rambert and Paneloux.

The book also seems to set out to simply document all the ways people cope with mortality. In addition to the main guys, the city itself has an evolving character which moves between materialistic, anxious, and finally fatalistic and resigned, which the main characters all undergo their personal evolutions in the shadow of.

It's an awesome book.
>>
>>8598084
>As far as i understood Camus implied that only people survive that show solidarity with the plague

Close, but not quite.
What he was saying is that if you do not come to terms with your situation in life, no matter how horrible it is, then you will not succeed in/survive it, and therefore are already dead. The sooner you are able to view yourself objectively in the world (in the Heideggerian sense), the sooner you will be able to live a life of progress and growth and happiness despite those circumstances.
>>
>>8598399
Would disagree slightly. He mainly implies, that in quiet a view ways those who live on are worse of.
>>
>>8598224
Where does A Happy Death figure on this thing?
>>
>>8598094
What a profound idea.

>>8598103
Making it in what way different than anything else by him?

>>8598171
read Kafka and Sartre, then you'll have all the feels Camus wrote about. He is a nobody.
>>
File: 1475521738790.jpg (165KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1475521738790.jpg
165KB, 640x480px
>>8598884
>read Sartre instead of Camus
pleb
>>
Please reinforce my opinion, that The Plague was the most boring book I've read in a long time. It was a real slog to finish it, and I got very little out if it.
>>
I've heard at the end the MC kills a dog. Is it graphic or just mentioned in passing? May be seen as kind of a pussy thing, but I don't like it when dogs are hurt in stories and stuff like that.
>>
>>8598224
I've heard this edition of Sisyphus was bad in some way? Can someone confirm? I want to get it but don't know which edition.
>>
>>8598171
Chronological order for any author
>>
>>8598945

I quit half way through
>>
>>8600217
lmao nice meme
>>
Anyone else think it is amazing how The Plague resonates so well with modern times and could basically be allegorical for the current refugee crisis going on in France and walled off towns like The Jungle?
>>
>>8600579
No
>>
>>8598084
Already some great interpretations above, but I thought I'd add one more element. In the range of reactions to imminent death, I think Dr. Rieux is understood to represent Camus' notion of the absurd hero. Like Sisyphus endlessly rolling his boulder up the mountain despite knowing its futility, Rieux continues to fight the plague despite knowing that his efforts are ultimately worthless. Through the struggle itself he creates his own meaning in an absurd, indifferent universe.
>>
>>8600228
You're both lazy plebs who need important points spoon fed to you, or you have so little life experience that death means nothing to you yet.

The Plague is one of the few things Camus did that has merit beyond pop philosophy
>>
>>8600652
I agree with this. Rieux is the narrator though so the reader is unable to see his inner life until the book's final death; unlike say, meurseut in the stranger, Rieux is not autistic and has normal emotions.

Except Cottard and Gonzales though, every character is a protagonist, and all have a redemptive character development in one way or another.
>>
>>8598084
There is no reason for the plague to start, there is no reason for it to leave. It just happens, like things just happen in real life. There is certainly a cause behind it, but we cannot get at it. The only thing to do is to figure how to live with whatever life throw at us. This implies changing the way we see ourselves, the people with whom we relate to, who we like and dislike, and at what we aim for in our lives - this aim is ever changing, because it has to adapt itself to the eventually incomprehensible but unavoidable happening on events that we cannot predict nor fix - things come and go, and we need to learn to live with the things they come, and let them go when they do.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.