[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some authors whose works you initially liked, but started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: 1468956659045.jpg (83KB, 969x1281px) Image search: [Google]
1468956659045.jpg
83KB, 969x1281px
What are some authors whose works you initially liked, but started to like significantly less the more you learned about said author?

I was once a huge Lovecraft horror fan, but when I learned that he was a raging racist I couldn't help but lose an immense amount of respect for both him and his works.
>>
>>8596472
Khalil Gibran

From shit is cash to can't take it in a few years.
>>
>>8596472
>when I learned that he was a raging racist
Is this bait?
>>
nice bait
>>
>>8596472
>I was once a huge Lovecraft horror fan

wew

>but when I learned that he was a raging racist I couldn't help but lose an immense amount of respect for both him and his works.

WEW
>>
>>8596500
When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

by H. P. Lovecraft
>>
Every single author I've read.
The point of reading books is so you can later grow out of them and mock them in conversation.
You say to people, when they ask you what you think of a book; 'Oh it was a little puerile for my taste but you may be able to get into it, a lot of it will go over your head'.
Life is all about looking down on people who are happier than yourself.
>>
>>8596472
Well, I still enjoy Lovecraft writing for what it is but I agree he was a bit of a tool
>>
>>8596472
So you were a huge lovecraft fan without ever actually reading any of his work? Because his racism is pretty fucking evident in his writing
>>
>>8596564

This is a man who understands this board.
>>
>>8596604
>Because his racism is pretty fucking evident in his writing
What a baseless statement with nothing whatsoever to back it up.
>>
>>8596615
he calls the arms of a black person forelegs.
>>
>>8596632
kek
>>
>>8596632
When did he do that?
>>
>>8596632
Based
>>
the cat in the rats in the walls is called nigger-man
>>
File: LFC.jpg (40KB, 540x327px) Image search: [Google]
LFC.jpg
40KB, 540x327px
>>8596632
>>
>>8596555
Well damn, I thought he was just a normal racist.
>>
>>8596632
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: qgr3ZPT.gif (148KB, 386x292px)
qgr3ZPT.gif
148KB, 386x292px
>>8596922
>>
File: noice.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
noice.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>8596555
This is actually pretty good.
>>
File: full_301.jpg (45KB, 259x333px) Image search: [Google]
full_301.jpg
45KB, 259x333px
getting the opening bait just right is tricky isnt it....

too subtle and they dont bite

too obvious and they just call it bait
>>
>>8596472
>biographical criticism
obvious bait
>>
>>8596564
That is literally what /lit is all about.
>>
>>8596632
Kek
e
k

What a beautiful age to live
>>
>>8596472
I enjoyed Lovecraft until I read enough of him to realize that he's a one-trick pony not even doing that trick particularly well
Certainly he's an influential guy, but he can't hold up to his successors
>>
>>8596555
He's no more racist than most of his peers and people of the same cultural circles were during the time.
>>
>>8596472

I liked Lovecraft as a person until I learned that he married a Jewess.
>>
File: 1468686194705.jpg (12KB, 258x245px)
1468686194705.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>8596555
>When he says "figure" and you know exactly what is coming.
I love this.
>>
I think it takes some practice to be able to separate the art from the artist. For example, love Wagner, but he was a total asshole. The Pianist is one of my favorite movies, but Polanski was a rapist.
Lovecraft isn't really that great a loss though, tbqh fampire.
>>
i loved mein kampf until i learned about who wrote it. such a disappointment
>>
>>8598276
no it doesn't, how can you even care about the artist so much beforehand? subhuman IQ
>>
>>8596555
"our guy"
>>
Lads I have to write 6 pages about Lovecraft,his works and influence.
Should I mention the nigger poem?
>>
>>8596472
So you don't want to read great literature, out of resontiment against biology? He is with E.T.A. Hoffmann easily the best horror author ever.
>>
>>8598284
lol'd
>>
>>8596472
> implying racism is bad
>>
>>8596604

This. OP is just either a shitposter or a Tumblrette who hasnt read any Lovecraft novels.
>>
>>8599790
Give it a shot
>>
>>8599790
claim that his visions of otherworldly monsters coming to destroy mankind in an unending unslaught were brought about by his belief that interracial breeding of whites with asians and african americans would destroy the cultural identity of america and europe.
>>
File: haha.jpg (3KB, 126x124px)
haha.jpg
3KB, 126x124px
>>8596555
>>
>>8600422
This is pretty much true though, and the inbreeding/miscegenation stuff in Innsmouth was because he discovered his ancestors were Welsh
>>
>>8596615
>"baseless statement"
>Horror at Red Hook exists

nigga wut
>>
>>8596472
>>8596555
top kek. I find this pretty funny.

>>8596632
Every time I scroll down, something better keeps coming along.

Based Lovecraft BTFOing tumblrettes since the 1900s.
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 227x222px
Dan Simmons

And fuck him for Illium.
>>
>>8596472
>being bothered by racism of that time
Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>8600422
Lovecraft was a prophet in more ways than one.

The beginning of Nyarlathotep describes the feel of the current zeitgeist perfectly for me.

"The general tension was horrible. To a season of political and social upheaval was added a strange and brooding apprehension of hideous physical danger; a danger widespread and all-embracing, such a danger as may be imagined only in the most terrible phantasms of the night. I recall that the people went about with pale and worried faces, and whispered warnings and prophecies which no one dared consciously repeat or acknowledge to himself that he had heard. A sense of monstrous guilt was upon the land, and out of the abysses between the stars swept chill currents that made men shiver in dark and lonely places. There was a daemoniac alteration in the sequence of the seasons—the autumn heat lingered fearsomely, and everyone felt that the world and perhaps the universe had passed from the control of known gods or forces to that of gods or forces which were unknown."
>>
>>8596472
this thread is CANCER
>>
>>8598276

>I think it takes some practice to be able to separate the art from the artist

speak for urself m88
>>
>>8596472
>i don't approve of someone in history being racist because i'm influenced by a modern social apparatus that actively shames those with those views and enthusiastically supports those who join in the shaming
>pft, it's not like i needed that massive social meme to teach me the "right" ways, i woulda just known em anyway
>truly, if i'd lived 100yrs ago, i wouldn't have been a racist

kys
>>
T.S. Eliot. When I found out he disliked Jews and made fun of blacks for much of his life, it made me---oh, wait. It had no effect on my love of his poems, because why the fuck would it.
>>
>>8596555
Fuck I used to think Lovecraft was shit but this is pretty good.
>>
>>8602188
I mean if I can be a racist despite years of leftist indoctrination, maybe OP could have been not been a racist despite the societal conditions of the time.
>>
>>8603532
>despite years of leftist indoctrination
*and without my racist immigrant father from a backwater European country and alt-rightists on the internet
FTFY
>>
>>8596472
So you're some beta numale who got triggered because HPL didn't like people not like him? You never understood HPL if you can just summarize the man as "a raging racist". Go read Houllebecq's analysis of him.
>>
>>8596555
really making me think
>>
>>8596564
This is the most /lit/ post ever posted.
>>
>>8596472
C.S. Lewis.
I just started reading more philosphy and he seems incredibly juvenile now.
>>
>>8596564
>Life is all about looking down on people who are happier than yourself.

i want to praise you like i should
>>
>>8596725
The match had been between Kid O’Brien—a lubberly and now quaking youth with a most un-Hibernian hooked nose—and Buck Robinson, “The Harlem Smoke”. The negro had been knocked out, and a moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon. The body must have looked even worse in life—but the world holds many ugly things. Fear was upon the whole pitiful crowd, for they did not know what the law would exact of them if the affair were not hushed up; and they were grateful when West, in spite of my involuntary shudders, offered to get rid of the thing quietly—for a purpose I knew too well.

Herbert West - Reanimator
>>
File: doggo 7.jpg (82KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
doggo 7.jpg
82KB, 540x720px
>>8596564

>/lit/ in one post
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.