[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this guy seen as a cynic? I've only read Elementary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Why is this guy seen as a cynic? I've only read Elementary particles and half of The Possibility of an Island, but he seems like a romantic to me. All that "love redeems" shit in EP.
>>
>>8593471
>He never read whatever.

His cynicism is nasty to the point of caricature, filled with grotesque displays of romanticism.
His views of self-loathing, misanthropy, pessimism, cynicism, and hopelessness in the face of a life that is pointless and only made moreso by the vivid way he describes hollow seductions of sex and consumer capitalism.
>>
>>8593471
I've read all of Houellebecq's full-length novels, and as far as I've been able to understand it, he's a natural romantic who has been made bitter, twisted and cynical by modern life. His characters' romances rarely end happily, and subsequent misanthropy and alienation are pretty much a given.
>>
because his dog died
>>
He sees love as an event only possible under certain conditions. The fact that contemporary society makes love unattainable is why he is so bitter.

I always think of DFW's criticism of Roth/Updike- he seems to think that all the problems in life cold be resolved if only we could instantly have sex with whoever we like
>>
File: Michel-Houellebecq-2-.jpg (43KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Michel-Houellebecq-2-.jpg
43KB, 900x600px
>>8593471
he is a dynamic writer and plays with each element of describing things to the point where his characters neglect for what they stood once, until they dive into despair. somethings he may be a cynic, but most of all he is dialectic.
>>
>>8593819
Would help me
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.