[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>So to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: paul.jpg (668KB, 2401x1766px) Image search: [Google]
paul.jpg
668KB, 2401x1766px
>So to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest on me.…

2 Corinthians 12:7-9

What did Paul mean by this? What was his thorn in the flesh?
>>
From that brief passage it sounds like some type of inferiority complex or intrusive thoughts.
>>
>>8593100
probably a painful disease, gout or something. since you typically get thorns in your foot. for resisting sinful desires in spite of weakness, he will be all the more praised in heaven or some shit.
>>
>>8593100

The exact nature of his 'thorn' is unknown, although people have speculated long and wide. But the result was that Paul was humbled by it and put in a position to recognize his weakness before God and his reliance on God's grace. Paul's background was as an upright and devout Pharisee, someone who puffed himself up by his knowledge and adherence to the law of Moses. His 'thorn' helped keep him from returning to his old and alluring habit of self-righteousness and instead always returning humbly to the foot of the cross.
>>
File: fyodor.jpg (227KB, 1006x755px) Image search: [Google]
fyodor.jpg
227KB, 1006x755px
>>8593100
Some say it was epilepsy
>>
File: sigmund-freud-photo.jpg (52KB, 330x363px) Image search: [Google]
sigmund-freud-photo.jpg
52KB, 330x363px
Some say it was homosexuality.
>>
>>8593119
this.
no one knows, but it was obviously something debilitating enough to be a humbling condition. could be anything from a disease to a mental disorder to an obsession he couldn't overcome.
Not knowing exactly what it was makes it easier to empathize with the message, I think we're better off not knowing
>>
>>8594330
Freud pls.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.