[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

illiterate /v/fag here so bear with me, is "being able

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 1475660170191.jpg (58KB, 450x497px) Image search: [Google]
1475660170191.jpg
58KB, 450x497px
illiterate /v/fag here so bear with me,

is "being able to write" something that comes naturally, aka talent? I heard that you need to read many writings to be able to write. But I haven't read a book for fun since high school with Franz Kafka.

I want to be able to write instead of playing video games as my pass time/hobby when I come home from work. So is it possible for me to become an efficient writer and reader?
>>
>>8593075
writing is something you have to put more effort into than beating dark souls with your feet, blind, and deaf with no damage, in under 10 minutes with no glitches. even if you have talent.
>>
>>8593091
no, beating dark souls with all those conditions set is harder, trust me.
>>
>>8593134
not if you want to write properly, faggot.
>>
>>8593134
Then fuck off back to /v/, you vapid dickhead.
>>
>>8593075
You can write, but your writings will be total crap. Good writers read thousands of books during their lifetimes.
>>
>>8593150
I write properly and I still can't speed run dark souls, clearly I have to put more effort in it than writing.
>>
>>8593075
>But I haven't read a book for fun since high school with Franz Kafka.

Writing is one of the few things you need to have read a fair bit to do well.

There's probably someone out there who could design a great video game without having ever played one. It's probably possible to write a good guitar riff without having ever heard another guitarist. Someone could probably make a semi-intriguing film without having seen many. But I really doubt anyone could write anything worth reading if they've read less than 100 book (and even then it probably won't be great.)

You really need to practice a lot to write, but you also need to read.

>So is it possible for me to become an efficient writer and reader?

Yes. You just have to start practising both.
>>
>>8593184
first off, if you can indeed successfully write, that does not correlate to you being able to play dark souls as described. it's simply that you have successfully learned to do something as difficult. don't think i should have to explain that, but here we are.
>>
>>8593150
>>8593157
ITT: faggots who can't write.
>>8593075
No. Wanting to be able to write is not enough. You must want to write. You must want to do it because you enjoy it -- questions of ability should not occur to you. You will want to improve, sure, but most of all you will want to write. And read, too. For Fun. Not as some kind of "bettering yourself" programme; purely because you legitimately just want to read.

You will be having ideas all the time, see, ideas you want to sink your teeth into. The only way to sate this urge is to read and write.

This seems attainable for you. You did read, and you probably haven't changed much.
>>
>>8593184
second, you probably can't write for shit, and certainly not properly.
>>
OP here
thanks for the info

I'll try putting down vidya for reading little by little.

I remember trying to put down vidya for better hobbies but it didn't work the first time which got me sad
but I guess it's something you have to practice and earn for
>>
File: 1448915713658.jpg (22KB, 800x788px) Image search: [Google]
1448915713658.jpg
22KB, 800x788px
>>8593184
>illiterate /v/fag here
>but i can write!!!!
>>
>>8593075
>is "being able to write" something that comes naturally, aka talent?
Yes.

>I heard that you need to read many writings to be able to write
Yeah, even if you have talent at it, you still need to study and practice it quite a bit to utilize your talent.

Like, Lebron James isn't where he's at because he just woke up this morning and decided to play basketball, and now he's suddenly the best in the NBA. He has natural talent, sure, but he also has 20+ years of practicing that honed his talent.

There's tons of people I know who have talent at something, but are never going to make anything out of themselves with it because they don't do anything to hone that.

There's also people I know who have no talent at all at something, but still work endlessly at. They can become mediocre at best at it, which I don't really think is a bad thing. It's better to work your ass off and be mediocre at something, than be some dicksuck who had talent but sat on his ass his whole life and did nothing with it.

So short version: work at writing. If you don't have any talent, you can still get better at it, and who knows where that will lead you? At least you're trying something.
>>
>>8593259
>I'll try putting down vidya for reading little by little.
This is what I just told you not to do.
>but it didn't work the first time
And this is one reason why.

You usually cannot force yourself to change your lifestyle if you do not actually want the change. More than that; you'll fucking suck at it if you do succeed.

Introduce yourself to works that'll catch your mind. Even plebshit, if that's the only thing that catches it (then read good shit when the plebshit has turned to ashes in your mouth and you must seek better fruit).
>>8593264
Why do you assume he's OP?
>>8593265
Genetics are vastly overrated. At the toppest level it's significant, but not below.
>>
File: 1474983703589.jpg (58KB, 463x325px) Image search: [Google]
1474983703589.jpg
58KB, 463x325px
>>8593259
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
>>8593286
epic
>>
File: 1444828247405.jpg (151KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1444828247405.jpg
151KB, 960x960px
Fucking video game faggots write the worst sci fi. It's hilarious how bad it is.
>>
>>8593317
It's because they think "whoa that thing I did in that one vidya was SO COOL I better put it in" but that's not how literature works.
>>
I think vidya and literature act as nice counterparts. They're both active mediums and in one youre given a space and you fill out the action, and in the other you're given the action and you fill out the space. I use vidya as my mindless entertainment when I need to give the reading a break.
>>
>>8593389
>They're both active mediums
Lit is as passive as it gets.

Also it's media.
>I use vidya as my mindless entertainment
Then you play bad vidya.
>>
>>8593401
>Lit is as passive as it gets
Then you read bad lit
>>
>>8593075
Talent is more of a metric of potential than an instant capacity for fulfilling it.
>>
>>8593185
>somebody can probably be good at all other artistic mediums without experience or knowledge, but not writing!

Does /lit/ listen to itself sometimes? You're not writing a good guitar lick or designing a competent game without experience in the medium. Things can be difficult and require deep thought other than reading and writing.

Just practice and read OP. Same as anything else, experience helps.
>>
>>8593150
what if you can only use the dk bongos as your controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HdWWhZ0hDM
is it still harder to write?
>>
>>8593480
I don't think you know what passive means.
>>
>>8593091
this is correct. producing art is harder than dark souls. "writing" of course is easier
>>
>>8593595
You can write interesting music without ever having heard a guitar lick. You don't have to play like other people in music. You can make interesting avant-garde noise rock if you want. If you played around with a guitar enough, and performed for people, you could definitely make interesting music that people might like.

People tend to judge literature in relation to very specific conventions.
>>
As others have said, no, you need to read to be able to write. But don't let that discourage you from writing because you need all the practice you can get. Start writing RIGHT NOW even if it's utter shit. Practice is never something you'll regret having.

>>8593185
I came into this thread to say something similar to this. How're you gonna compose a song if you've never heard one before?
>>
OP, if you're still in this thread, maybe you'll wanna check out this post I just wrote for another /v/irgin wanting to get into literature. >>8595333
>>
Natural aptitude with language is a must. With time and dedication, you can be a John Steinbeck. This is about 100 verbal IQ.

To be actually good, tho? Then you would want the ability to create new words to come naturally to you. This is more like 130 verbal IQ.
>>
>>8593164
>>8593185

you can be a good writer and not read at all.

really, writing encapsulates your understanding of the world, most importantly language.

if you can somehow creatively employ language and have something interesting to say, you can write well.

some examples:

Rumi, Solzhenitsyn, Kabir..

Socrates, though he hated writing and the written word, would no doubt have been a great author of philosophy, had he ever tried.
>>
>>8593265

talent is an illusion for bottomfeeders without ambition. I feel genuinely sorry for you.

>He has natural talent

what you meant to say what that his body type is ideal for doing a certain physical activity
>>
>>8593561

this I can somewhat agree with

can you give me an example of how talent shows in a writer?
>>
>>8595104

this

best example is no-wave or "outsider" music
>>
>>8596124

embarrassing
>>
>>8593075
I love that cat, shiro or whatever his name is. I worry that his owner sedates him for the videos he takes though.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.