[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

POST YOUR FAVORITE ETYMOLOGIES. THINGS THAT REALLY GIVE YOU ETYMOLOGY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 6

File: 1429833093915.png (545KB, 1049x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1429833093915.png
545KB, 1049x1600px
POST YOUR FAVORITE ETYMOLOGIES. THINGS THAT REALLY GIVE YOU ETYMOLOGY BONERS
>jupiter
>>
plz respond
>>
>>8589836
>Not even posting the ety
4shame op

>from Greek, zeu pater, for "heavenly Father"
Whatever, pretty lame etymology I guess.

I like weird's
>from old English, wyrd, meaning "having the power to control destiny"
>>
Are there books about cool etymologies?
>>
apart-ment
under-standing
cult-ure
des-pair

here, i've broken some words down that have made me think

also, words are spells, that's why it's called spelling
>>
>>8589836
"bad"
"gate"
"lily"
>>
>snark
Lewis Carroll poem. He claimed they were unimaginable in appearance, and the poem was published with a map by Henry Holiday which was useful anywhere to find one (pic related). Now used in graph theory, the four colour theorem is sometimes represented as "no snark is planar".
[NB: Not to be confused with the etymology of "snark" as in "snarky remarks" which comes from Scandi words for "to snore"]

>quark
Gell-Mann claims the sound was bouncing around in his head until he found it in Finnegans Wake [hapax legomenon til that point, though possibly related to quork, from Germanic for "curds"]

It excites me to think STEM is reading that shit more assiduously than /lit/.
>>
dis-ease
>>
>>8590803
>herpes
source: herpein, greek for "creeping"
>>
I love 4chan. You can tell by the mass influx of boring threads that Britbongs are home from grade school for the weekend.
>>
>>8590896
/lit/ is the best in GMT waking hours
>>8589836
>parasite
from the Greek for dinner guest
>>
>>8590517
It's more interesting when a word has been adapted from a stand-alone older word with a different meaning, or multiple words like that.
>>
>>8590896
Why do you think it's boring? also I'm OP and not brit
>>
>>8590362
Jupiter is cool because it shares the same root as both zeus and tyr. Jauspitr or something like thata
>>
>>8590862
herpein is used to describe moving in the prone position in army training.At least that's the only real life use of the word.
>>
>Sepia
Greek word for "cuttlefish" whose ink the dye used be extracted from.
>>
>>8591032
So.. creeping? That's what creeping means you know
>>
>>8591032
Herpetology is the study of lizards for the same reason, because they're creepycrawlies.
>>
>>8589836
fiasco is supposed to be Italian for "bottle." pretty funny.
>>
>>8591085
Woah. Bottle is flaske in my language, i guess it's the same root
>>
>>8590490
I picked this up one day, but I never finished it. It's kind of boring. Not the subject matter, but there's something about the style that just makes it hard for me to get through.

I do love picking a random word from the OED and reading its etymology, though.
>>
>mayhem
similar origins as "maim", but its original use in English which remains on law books some places is as an offense against the state by removing parts of the body integral to defense, such as shooting yourself in the foot to avoid military service or removing an arm to be incapable of holding a sword/gun. in some places, trannies or their doctors used be charged with "causing mayhem" because the law books considered a dick and balls necessary to defense.
>>
bamp
>>
>>8591125
>It's kind of boring. Not the subject matter,

Nah, it's probably the subject matter
>>
>>8590652
STEM doesn't mean "retard automated monkey plebs".
>>
>>8590896
>Grade school
Also, you posted this on a Thursday night.
>>
>>8593172
etymology is hype.
>>
>>8591103
Kinda like...flask?

English just uses more words.
>>
>>8593195
sure. Well, that probably shares the same root too. We also have other synonyms for bottle, calm down.
>>
>>8593204
>Well, that probably shares the same root too
It does.
>We also have other synonyms for bottle
...Yeah. But flaske is flask.
>>
>>8593172
monolingual pleb detected >>>/reddit/
>>
>>8593183
/lit/ does tho
>>
>board about literature
>no one here cares about etymology

Jesus this board is awful.
>>
"Goodbye" being a contraction of "God be with you"

Perhaps it bothers fedoras I don't know, but I think it's interesting in any case.
>>
>>8594855
Hello was invented to have something to say when picking up the phone. Alexander Graham Bell wanted to go with "ahoy hoy" which Mr Burns still used in the Simpsons.
>>
>>8594860
It has older variants, but Edison's mishearing/pronunciation of them is usually credited with starting that spelling.
>>
>>8589836
"Business" -- literally a time of being busy, away from leisure (similar to Latin (neg)otium)
>>
>>8594860
Speaking of the Simpsons and etymology, I always like it when a word from a popular TV show becomes more widely used. Such as "d'oh!" or "yoink", both from the Simpsons. Or "yada yada yada" from Seinfeld.
>>
>>8594884
always?
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012/08/buffy-the-vampire-slayer/
>>
>>8594843
etymonline is among my most-visited websites

Nurse, from the latin for "to suckle" or "one who suckles"

Avocado, from an Aztec word for testicle

>>8590362
yeah, weird is a good one, too
>>
>Poison
From the Latin potare (to drink), through the Old French poison (magic potion)
No wonder Brits hate the French
>>
>Snake oil (salesman)
Originally a pejorative used by patent medicine hawkers to denounce Chinese medicine practitioners, who recommended it for joint pain like arthritis or rheumatism, and promote their own products.
Ironically, snake oil does actually treat joint while most patent medicines were at best going to get you drunk or stoned, if not poison you. Came to mean all patent medicine or overhyped hawking of cures.
>>
>>8595005
>does actually treat joint
^pain
>>
>>8589836
I think it's cool that hemp and cannabis both go back to the same PIE root based on Grimm's Law and assimilation of the nasal

something like haenab
>>
>>8595020
hash(ish) has the same root as assassin "faithful to foundation"
>>
>>8594884
Also "cromulent".
>>
>>8594884
>embiggens
>>
>rankle: to annoy or irritate persistently

Originally from the Latin "draco" for serpent (also leading to dragon); became the diminutive "dracunculus"; then the Old French "draoncle", "rancle" indicating a festering sore, as an an ulcer caused by a snake bite.

Another good one is "worm", from the Old English word "wyrm" for dragon (shout out to Beowulf for teaching me that one)
>>
>>8595130
>dracunculus
lol
>>
>>8595163
same suffix as homunculus

but yes, it does sound rather funny
>>
>Barbarian
from Latin for beard, because neckbeards have always been a sign
>>
Finnish word for female genitals is "häpy", which comes from "häpeä", shame
In the same root is the word "hävytön", shameless
>>
>>8594884
tnettenba
>>
>>8594964
>Nurse, from the latin for "to suckle" or "one who suckles"
>Avocado, from an Aztec word for testicle
Why didn't you include the words? reee, that's literally the climax.
>>
Female, ultimately from fellare, the Latin word for suck.
>>
'Man' originally was gender neutral. 'Woman' is a contraction of 'wife-man'. The Old English word for male was the 'were' in werewolf, cognate with Latin 'vir', whence 'virile' and 'virtuous'.
>>
>>8595130
>shout out to Beowulf for teaching me that one
Every fantasy reader knows that since wyrm is still in regular use and dragons still called 'great worms' there
>>
Whore is cognate with Latin carus (beloved).
All Indo-Europeans kept the original word for bear (arktos, ursus, arth, riksha, etc.), except Germanic and Slavonic, who had most reason to be afraid of bears, and renamed them "browny" and "honey-eater" respectively.
Greek methys (wine) is cognate with mead and with Latin mel (honey), proving that the Indo-Europeans knew of mead but not of wine.
>>
It was originally 'a nucle', 'a napron', 'a nadder' before the words were reanalysed.

>>8595130
'Wyrm' is cognate with Latin 'vermis' and indeed meant worm. It was a taboo word for snake or dragon.
>>
>>8596663
I know Ahuacatl for avocado, but not the other one.
>>
>>8596984
"World" is from the compound "were-old" or "male age."
>>
Whale originally meant catfish (Wels in German)
Cherry means berry from Cerasus on the Black Sea coast
Peach means fruit from Persia
Walnut means Welsh nut
>>
Book is derived from beech. The theory is that runes were mostly carved on rods of beechwood, which is why they have no horizontal lines.

Latin liber originally meant birch bark.
>>
>>8596984
In addition, "wife" also used to just mean "woman" rather than a married woman. Hence a fishwife isn't actually married to a fish. And a midwife isn't actually married to a... wait, what is that "mid" in midwife?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=midwife
>c. 1300, "woman assisting," literally "woman who is 'with' " (the mother at birth), from Middle English mid "with" (see mid) + wif "woman" (see wife). Cognate with German Beifrau.

Neat.
>>
person is Etruscan for theater mask
arena is Etruscan for sand
ludicrous means playful
pathetic means emotional
choleric, melancholic, phlegmatic means bile, black bile, slime, from the theory of humors
humor and temperament is also from this theory
a trophy (tropaion, from tropaios, defeat) was the armory of defeated enemies piled up on the battlefield to gloat over the victory
>>
>>8597256
and lunacy is from the theory that the full moon caused insanity
>>
>>8597263
My mom insists that if people are driving badly it's because of the moon.
>>
>>8597256
You forgot the fourth humour, blood. The adjectival form of that is Sanguine, meaning jovial. Also, a synonym for choleric is bilious.
>>
>>8596447
Can we do other languages?
>smugairle róin (Irish for jelly fish)
literally "seal's snot"
>>
>>8589836
>sinister
left-handed or on the left side
>>
Not really an etymology, but English and Persian have the simplest grammars of any Indo-European language due to the Norman and Arab conquests.
>>
>>8597886
>dexterous
right handed or on the right side
>>
>>8590490
Read any classic and buy access to OED Online
To be sure, most if not all great writers of both prose and poetry would have had a dictionary in front of them in the process, and the idea or anecdotes of a guy like Goethe just etching one of his most popular poems into a bedpost is romantic, so ideally you should look up as many words as possible, an it's something most scholars today neglect to do.
I can give an example, like Cedric Watts who has written an otherwise commonly cited critical introduction to Joseph Conrad, and in this he touches on HoD and the prominent word 'absurd' in it, he 'lingers' on the word and its connotations but never touches on its roots in the Latin absurdus, out of tune -- and this in a book where we also read that no man lives a 'charmed ('sung')' life.
>>
>>8597975
Dictionaries within languages started pretty late, m8. The Grimm Brothers started the first German dictionary in the sense that we use the word today, and they started it decades after Goethe died. Johnson's English dictionary started the century beforehand, with a far loser method, which was pretty much just Johnson making up the definition as he went along through the alphabet.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpVP8ezoVlM
The more common dictionaries before that were for learning classical languages and usually didn't have the comprehensive scope of Johnson's or the Grimms' endeavours. What you're saying is true in spirit and later becomes true in fact, it is a good idea for a writer to keep a dictionary open near them. But it's not true for a lot of history because they're a very late project in the Enlightenment even after vernacular writing became the norm.
Getting Boswell's quotations from Johnson is a good step too because Johnson's a great source.
>>
>>8596994
Well I don't read contemporary fantasy, I read worthwhile works like Beowulf.
>>
>>8597995
far looser* method
sry
>>
>>8597995
Even so, they would have had knowledge of this anyway because they had a classical education and would've had philological studies down, languages like Latin and Greek in the German Englithenment writer Lessing
Granted, the 'classical education' also sets its boundaries, I'm not saying you should have a dictionary by you when you're reading Beowulf or Nibelungenlied, though this is interesting for philological reasons
I also recommend a dictionary anyway because I don't trust the majority of /lit/ to actually comprehend a word of literature without looking it up, I know I don't
I'm really thankful to the OED for this. Even though major dictionaries in other languages like Duden also have many etymological entries, 9/10 times the OED is more thorough.
>>
>>8598045
Enlightenment*
>>
>>8598045
you probably should have some kind of dictionary if you're trying on beowulf.

you're right about dictionaries being a good thing, but you're kind of terrible at history.

OED's common use method makes it more prone to etymology because they're constantly looking at the common use, so they notice linguistic shift a whole lot sooner than prescriptivists.
this also leads to them accepting new words faster than dictionaries that don't use the method, which really pisses some people off, so it's worth getting one to troll prescriptivists alone. OED a best in general, even in the smaller print versions which won't carry etymology. that said, shelling out for their subscription isn't necessary if you're using the internet to look up words anyway.
>>
>>8598068
i should say changes rather than shift really because it could be confused with the technical term.
>>
>>8596968
HAHA GIRLS SUCK
>>
>>8598068
I've free access because I'm a collegefag, it's a luxury and I can supplement with other quality works
If you want a single-volume dictionary in print, I think the Penguin Dictionary is the only major dictionary to still carry some etymological entries, but I can imagine they're some of the first to go when they try to make more room
I've used the Penguin and it's alright but you're often left with little information
>>
>Dunce
from a follower of Duns Scotus, one of the most important philosophers of the middle ages.
>>
>>8598096
yeah i'd kill for a uni affiliation. you can buy dictionaries of etymology from OED, even in concise form, if you're really set on physical etymology source, and most all larger dictionaries carry etymology but they do take up space. google is your friend otherwise, because there are free online dictionaries and pretty much all of them will have etymology. i've never seen a penguin one so i can't comment on that, but i'd recommend getting a concise or little oxford without the etymology just because they do definition so well.
>>
Some jolly good words of Old English pedigree:

troth (promise, pledge), dright (warband), drighten (commander), here (army, whence harry), athel (noble), lede (man or people), lith (property), riche (kingdom), atter (venom), ey (egg, which is from Norse), quean (prostitute), ettin (giant), quede (evil), bede (prayer), songcraft (music), wordhoard (vocabulary), lodestone (magnet), lodesman (pilot), hindberry (raspberry), mereswine (porpoise, dolphin), beag (ring), helve (handle), leasow (pasture), rith (small stream), leman (paramour), liefsome (delightful), nithing (villain), ord (point, origin), to awreak (avenge), to touse (pull to pieces), to mete (measure), to brook (tolerate), to dree (suffer), to thole (endure), to queme (please), to wharve (turn), to roup (cry out), to scrike (yell), to mithe (avoid), to overnim (take over), to rede (counsel), and lastly: to dight (compose, adorn, handle), "one of the most-used verbs in Middle English, all senses have now faded into obscurity, dialect, or poetic use."
>>
>>8590362
>I like weird's
>>from old English, wyrd, meaning "having the power to control destiny"

dune makes sense now
>>
>oxygen
acid maker, like hydrogen is water maker. at the time it was discovered they thought all acids needed oxygen as part of their composition.
>>
>dogfish
because sharks used be called "sea-dogs" [shark itself doesn't have a known etymology] there's also a type of shark called a "smooth hound" because it's not as rough skinned as sea dogs usually are
>dolphin
through medieval Latin from the Greek delphis (wombed fish), which is itself from delphus, meaning womb because they're mammals. they used be called "mereswin", or sea-pigs in old English until the medieval Latin set in
>aardvark
from Afrikaans meaning "earth pig"
>cancer
Latin for "crab" because the veins around tumours make them look like crabs.
>>
>>8596131
I thought it was greek for someone who didnt speak the language?
>>
vanilla and vagina share the same origins [Latin for sheath, "vagina"]
gladiator and gladioli share the same origin [Latin for sword or penis, "gladius"]
>>
>>8598810
The actual Greek origin is from those who don't speak Greek well (as opposed to not speaking Greek at all) which led to every dialect calling each other barbarian, and that originates in the Sanskrit for stammering/foreign.
But Cassiodorus's folk etymology of bearded lands is more fun.
>>
>mortgage
>mort = death
>gage = grip
>>
Howdy < Howdy do < How do you do?
>>
>>8599537
I thought it was "death promise"
>>
Moonshine, both the drink name and sense of to bullshit someone, come from the idea that the moon's light was appearance without substance.

However, there's also a related phrase, "moonraker", which means someone from Wiltshire, a county in the South of England.

People outside Wiltshire maintain the term refers to a story about Wiltshire people being so dumb they thought the moon was made of cheese, and its reflection in the water had trapped the cheese in a lake, so they tried to rake it out of the lake to get free cheese.

Wiltshire people maintain that they were trying to rake jugs of illegal brandy out of the lake, and when the authorities came by, they played dumb and told them the cheese story.
>>
>>8599537
Hustle bones coming out of my mouth
>>
>>8599540
Fack
>>
>bankruptcy
broken counter (of a moneylender); such was the practice in medieval Italian cities
>alligator
Spanish for "the lizard"
>budget
French for a small bag or purse
>etiquette
small ethics
>villain
villager
>marmalade
quince jam in Portuguese
>melon
apple in Greek
>slogan
warcry (Gaelic)
>whiskey
water of life (Gaelic or Irish)
>jeans
textile from from Genoa
>magic
art of the magi (Zoroastrian priests)
>chess/checkers, candy, paradise
Persian for king (shah), sugar, enclosure
>admiral, hazard, tariff
Arabic for leader (emir), dice, notification
>pal, lollipop, chav
Romani for brother, red apple, child
>>
>>8598847
It appears in Homer as 'barbarophonos'. As with many onomatopoeiae, like cack or cuckoo, it is debatable wether Sanskrit 'barbara' shows that it is inherited from the proto-language, or is a parallel development.

>honeymoon
month during which mead was drunk
>lord and lady
loaf-warden and loaf-kneader
>>
>>8597735
that's amazing. Got any more Irish ones?
>>
"Palaver" has a good one. Comes from Portuguese palavra meaning word, but acquired its current imperialistic undertones after the 18th century and contact between English/Portuguese sailors and African tribes.
>>
>>8600473
there's lots of them for wild life (daffodils are lús an chromchinn "Luke with the heavy head"; the words for "French" and "rat" are the same, "francach" which has the same root as "farang" which is English invaders in Hindi) and a lot of the language is pretty figurative.

I think the best of the figurative phrases is that most dictionaries will list masturbation as "féinthruailliú" which is "self pollution" (féin is self, truailliú is pollution), but the original word is "láimhfeist" which is "hand party" (lámh is hand, feist is party or festival)
>>
>>8599713

>etiquette
>small ethics

1740, from French étiquette (“property, a little piece of paper, or a mark or title, affixed to a bag or bundle, expressing its contents, a label, ticket”), from Middle French estiquette (“ticket, memorandum”), from the Old French verb estechier, estichier, estequier (“to attach, stick”), (compare Picard estiquier (“to stick, pierce”)), from Frankish *stikkan, *stikjan (“to stick, pierce, sting”), from Proto-Germanic *stikaną, *stikōną, *staikijaną (“to be sharp, pierce, prick”), from Proto-Indo-European *st(e)ig-, *(s)teig- (“to be sharp, to stab”). Akin to Old High German stehhan (“to stick, attach, nail”) (German stechen (“to stick”)), Old English stician (“to pierce, stab, be fastened”). The French Court of Louis XIV at Versailles used étiquettes, "little cards", to remind courtiers to keep off of the grass and similar rules. More at stick (verb), stitch.

Would have been cool tho
>>
>>8598238
>dight
Like dichten in German.
>lede
>Like Leude in German.
>scrike
Like schreien in German.

etc.

I like similarities. Autism probably.
>>
File: 1475553905234.png (15KB, 614x604px) Image search: [Google]
1475553905234.png
15KB, 614x604px
>>8601274
>láimhfeist
saved
>>
>>8599552
pretty sure its called moonshine because they would transport it at night
>>
"Serendipity", which is derived from the Sanskrit name for Sri Lanka, weirdly enough. Some 18th century Brit decided they were always discovering things, and here we are.
>>
>>8601354
I though of another one watching Twin Peaks. "cíoch" is breast/nipple, so it also applies to mountains shaped like tits ("cíoch sléibhe", literally, "tit mountain", is the term for conical hills).
The archaic English word for "nipple" which is "pap" applies to two such conical hills in Kerry called The Paps in English, or in Irish An Dhá Chíoch Anann (Anann's Two Tits). There's an east and west tit in the pair.

But there's also "cíoch charraige" which is literally a "rock boob" (carraig is the Irish for rock), but which means a "sea-anemone".

You also hear "cíoch" applied to what I think are called "eyes" on potatoes in English, those little bits of white that grow out of potatoes when you've left them in the dark for too long and they're trying to grow roots.
>>
>>8602000
jesus, I fucked up the Irish spelling there
>*Dá **Chích Anann
still the same translation
>>
>>8590517
to-get-her

really boils your noodle
>>
>>8598783
>mereswin
>think of German "meer + schwein"
>google "meerschwein"
>its german for "guinea pig"

this raises even more questions, but I don't speak enough german to figure it out...
>>
>>8602449
wikipedia to the rescue
>The animal's name alludes to pigs in many European languages. The German word for them is Meerschweinchen, literally "little sea pig", which has been translated into Polish as świnka morska, into Hungarian as tengerimalac, and into Russian as мopcкaя cвинкa. This derives from the Middle High German name merswin. This originally meant "dolphin" and was used because of the animals' grunting sounds (which were thought to be similar).[29] Many other, possibly less scientifically based explanations of the German name exist. For example, sailing ships stopping to reprovision in the New World would pick up stores of guinea pigs, which provided an easily transportable source of fresh meat. The French term is cochon d'Inde (Indian pig) or cobaye; the Dutch call it Guinees biggetje (Guinean piglet) or cavia (while in some Dutch dialects it is called Spaanse rat); and in Portuguese, the guinea pig is variously referred to as cobaia, from the Tupi word via its Latinization, or as porquinho da Índia (little Indian pig). This is not universal; for example, the common word in Spanish is conejillo de Indias (little rabbit of the Indies).[26] The Chinese refer to them as 豚鼠 (túnshǔ, 'pig mouse'), and sometimes as Netherlands pig (荷蘭豬, hélánzhū) or Indian mouse (天竺鼠, tiānzhúshǔ). The Japanese word for guinea pig is "モルモット" (morumotto), which derives from the name of another mountain-dwelling rodent, the marmot; this is what guinea pigs were called by the Dutch traders who first brought them to Nagasaki in 1843.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig
>>
>>8590517
>also, words are spells, that's why it's called spelling

What in the sweet name of fuck are you blabbering about?
>>
>>8602550
Spells as in magic words.
>>
>>8590362
>>8598649
Reminds me of reading Beowulf. Good story.
>>
>>8602903
Spelling is from Norman (ultimately from Frankish). Spell and Gospel is from Anglo-Saxon and means utterance.
>>
File: 1405128427897.jpg (76KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
1405128427897.jpg
76KB, 500x388px
Ladybug in Russian is "bozhoya korovka" which translates literally to "godly cow"
>>
"Stimulus" origin is literally about a stick with which a doctor pokes a flaccid dick
>>
carnival
'farewell meat'
>>
>>8597256
Person, persona and so on, means per-sound, that through which the sound passes. That's why it is about masks, like the ones used in Greek theater. That's why it is also simultaneously about the very thing that conceals who we are and that permit us to speak, that which is the expression of ourselves, but that nevertheless is a construction that cannot encompass all of who we are.
>>
Alibi [Latin for at another place] and Alias [Latin for at another place; under different circumstances] both used have their modern meaning conferred by Alien in Latin [belonging to another person/place/object; unfriendly or suspicious; (of a body) paralyzed, corrupt, dead; (of a mind) insane]

Alien became more focused on the meanings that didn't mean an Alibi or Alias, giving us Alienist [doctor for the insane until 20th C.] and Illegal Aliens, and of course, the suspicious and unfriendly men from outer space, but for a brief while when it was making its transition to English, it meant "exotic".

Alias developed cognates in English and Irish which kept the meaning of [under different circumstances; another] at "else" and "eile" respectively.
>>
'curry favor' came from brushing (currying) a horse named fauvel
>>
>>8603425
this makes sense when you realize Carnival/Fat Tuesday is the catholic communities' big blow-out before Lent.
>>
>forlorn hope
An impossible dream.

Comes from the Dutch words "verloren hoop" which means "lost pile", and itself originates with the "Verlorene Haufen" which were similar to cannon fodder, because they were the first ones sent into battle, and carried swords to charge against much longer pike formations which were inevitably going to kill them before the sword was any use. They got double wages, but since it was essentially a suicide mission to join them, criminals sentenced to death were also conscripted.
>>
>amygdala
It's the same as the Latin word for "almond", originally from Greek amugdale, which also means almond.
>>
>heroin
When Bayer first synthesised it in Germany, they asked the two lab techs they tested it on how it made them feel. The first guy told them it made him feel "Wunderbar" (wonderful) so it was almost called Wunder, but the second guy said it made him feel "heroisch" (heroic) and the marketing team decided to go with that.
>>
File: 1476144434170.png (55KB, 718x1654px) Image search: [Google]
1476144434170.png
55KB, 718x1654px
Etymology seems interesting but I honestly don't see any reason to delve more into it. Is there a reason to become knowledgeable in this? Like do you derive some pleasure from seeing words?

I'm not being condescending, it's fascinating to me
>>
>>8606209
autism [from the Greek autos, meaning self]?

I dunno, man, I just like words and things to do with words.

Mirror, admire, and miracle all share the same root in the Latin mirus, "wonder". Mirror means "wonder at", as does admire.
>>
>>8606209
Also, if you learn other languages, knowing origins helps, but you also start to learn false friends.
(False friends are words that seem similar and sometimes share etymology but in fact have very different meanings in the two languages. It comes from the full phrase "false friend of translator" because you think you know but you don't know. Not all of them share etymology, but a lot of them do)

For example:
"Preservative" in English means something to keep perishables for longer and has the same etymology as the French "préservatif", which means condom. "Library" in English has the same etymology as "librarie" in French, but in French it means "bookshop".
>>
>>8606209
I practice mystical esoteric etymology and I'm only half-kidding, I'm not going to even try to explain it
>>
>>8606277
I think they're still calling that folk etymology, anon. It is fun though.
>>8606257
Another great cognate/false friend is "gift" in English and "Gift" in German. They both have the same origin, meaning "dowry", but in English a gift now means "a present", and the noun in German now means "a poison".
>>
>leukemia
from Greek "leukos" white, and, "haima" blood
>anaemia
from Greek "an" without, and "haima" blood
>bulimia
from Greek "bous" ox, and "limos" hunger, which became "boulemia" in ancient Greek meaning ravenous hunger
>bully
originally meant "lover" when it appeared in English, probably from middle Dutch
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.