[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there no more experimental literature when there are so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (548KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
548KB, 1920x1200px
Why is there no more experimental literature when there are so many untapped ways to get crazy with writing?

Why has there not been a piece in which ever single line is stolen from another piece and used to make a story by way of collage?

Why isn't there a book where the author/narrator directly communicates with and visibly acts upon their characters?

Why isn't there an attempt to tell a story in images, or tie more than one format of art together? A "novel-painting" or something?

The stream of consciousness stuff modernists did seems painfull obvious, but it's really the only huge experimental jump literature has taken. Even now, the boldest things authors do is curse and use footnotes, and it's incredibly dull.
>>
>>8589601
>Why isn't there an attempt to tell a story in images, or tie more than one format of art together? A "novel-painting" or something?

This has got to be bait.
>>
>>8589601
>Why has there not been a piece in which ever single line is stolen from another piece and used to make a story by way of collage?

There is. It's called a cento.

Maybe you're just ignorant about what is actually out there?
>>
>>8589601
>Why isn't there a book where the author/narrator directly communicates with and visibly acts upon their characters?

There's something called "first person perspective", it's a little bit out there, but some novels have started to use it recently.
>>
>>8589616
Also, if on a winter's night a traveler.
>>
maybe you are just terribly ignorant about what's out there
>>
OP on suicide watch
>>
>>8589611
I know about centos, but I mean as far as literature, rather than poetry. Like, making a longer piece of even nondescript sentences from other works, but not actually writing anything new oneself.

>>8589621
Again, along the same lines, but I mean a novel that dialogues with its characters to the degree Calivno speaks with the reader. Something like the film Stranger than Fiction, but played entirely serious, and actually in written format.

>>8589610
>>8589616
>>8589636
>>8589648
Unrepentant shitposting. I want /r9k/ to leave.
>>
>>8589601
>Why isn't there a book where the author/narrator directly communicates with and visibly acts upon their characters?
Sofies world
>>
>>8589665
>literature, rather than poetry.
>>
>Why isn't there an attempt to tell a story in images, or tie more than one format of art together? A "novel-painting" or something?
Ever heard of comics? Opera? Program music? I know, that's some pretty obscure stuff, I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it.
>>
>>8589805

best line in the thread so far la
>>
>>8589601
Because no one buys it.
>>
Because gimmicks get boring, and fast. People just want a good fucking story written well
>>
Fuck, OP's a genius. How has no one thought of this before??
>>
>>8589665
The French Lieutenant's Woman by Fowles has the narrator interacting with characters and is a metacommentary on Victorian Literature. Great book, seems close to but not quite what you're talking about.
>>
>>8589601
It's called the bible, fucko.
>>
File: IhuIV2B.png (149KB, 400x217px) Image search: [Google]
IhuIV2B.png
149KB, 400x217px
>>8589601
>>
>>8589601

Christie Malry's Own Double-Entry
>>
>>8589601
>The stream of consciousness stuff modernists did seems painfull obvious, but it's really the only huge experimental jump literature has taken. Even now, the boldest things authors do is curse and use footnotes, and it's incredibly dull.

It's really more like you're just concerned with wacky formal tricks than any experimenting with, say, character psychology, new philosophical ideas, mastering of existing techniques and formats rather than introducing new ones, etc. If I can guess correctly you're someone whose only foray into drama has been Hamlet in high school, and who goes on and on about electric strap-ons in the Nova Trilogy by Burroughs and why Pynchon is better than Tolstoy even though between the two the only book you've read is the first 3 sentences of Crying of Lot 49 and up through the banana breakfast in Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>>8590089
I've got a little more experience than that, mate. Alot of writing of this nature exists as a gimmick, but I strongly feel that in finding a new way to engage the reader you can help them learn about themselves and affect them in different ways than you would using characters as proxies. It's what reading Calvino does for me, in a way, and I'm just curious if there are other ways to engender this feeling.

>>8590081
>>8590004
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to look into them ASAP.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.