[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Persian history, religion, philosophy and poetry. Where do I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

Persian history, religion, philosophy and poetry. Where do I start, and what titles are most-reads? Maybe there's a chart for this, that I just haven't stumbled upon yet.
>>
I ate out a Persian chick in August and I just want you to know that

Like full-blown Iranian expat Persian nationalist chick and she had a huge hairy bush and it smelled awful but I still ate that fucking thing because god damnit when the fuck am I ever going to get a Persian girl again
>>
>>8588834
Can't blame you desu senpai

She didn't happen to tell you about their ancient litterature, did she?
>>
>>8588834
>falling for the bashful babylonian
>>
>>8588834
so you got bad breath and +1 to your pussydex, do you want a medal?
>>
Come on lit - at least one of you must know this
>>
>>8589146
I doubt someone does. Your best bet would be to look through the internet for a suitable secondary on Persian history, and hopefully through that you will find a connection to other works.
>>
>>8588829
All I know off the top of my head is that the Shahnameh, written around 1000 CE, is the Iranian national epic. Haven't read it myself yet, but it is supposed to be beautiful.
>>
There is not much pre-islamic lit. Islamic lit starts at 900 AD. Rudaki is the best poet of early Islamic Persia. After Rudaki go for Shanama of Ferdosi. It's national history and epic. After that you'll reach Iraqi genre of poetry which are our best poets like Rumi, Saadi and stuff. After that there isn't much thinks to look for. In contemporary stuff Jamalzade and Hedayat are decent story tellers. Modern persian poetry is shit and pleb tier also the classics are the best. For history Cambridge history of Persia is one of the best books which compromise whole history. For philosophy we have mysticism which is included in works of sufi poets, and arsitotlian which are the works of farabi and avecina, and critic of philosophy which are the works of Ghazzali, and finally we have Suhrewardi and Mir Damad whose philosphy is obscure to lots of people.
>>
Thanks guys, that gives me a starting point.

How about learning the language? Any advice on that?
>>
>>8588829
Rumi that's all I know
>>
I've been reading Herodotus and was also wondering what Persian writings if any survive. I did a quick Google and found the Avesta, the holy text of Zoroastrianism, but that's about it. Everything else is Islamic.
>>
>>8588834
Once I ate an Abo.

Expat but still.
>>
>>8589210

It's not as hard as Arabic, there are books out there.
>>
>>8589327
bruh..
>>
>>8588829
The Shahnameh by Ferdowsi is the Iranian national epic. The Conference of the Birds by Farid ud-Din Attar, Edward Fitzgerald's translation of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, Rumi (esp. the Masnavi), Saadi, Hafez. If you want some 20th century literature, The Blind Owl by Hedayat and My Uncle Napoleon by Iraj Pezeshkzad, which is one of the funniest books I've ever read.

>>8589302
Thank the Greeks for genociding Achaemenid culture.
>>
>>8589210
It's one of the easiest languages to learn.
>>
As is to be cuckolded by the Arabs? You do not have shame? You have not abandoned Islam?
>>
>>8590223
I'll definitely look those 20th century books up aswell, thanks.

Does the national epic cover the pre-islamic religion?
>>
>>8588829
Cyropaedia by Xenophon?

It's the only related work I've read.
>>
>>8591019
Just thought of a semi-related pair of works.

Khalil Gibran's The Prophet, and The Madman.

He's Lebanese-American, so you may not be interested, but there you go.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.